The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

There will be a huge disconnect between his public bluster and his private feelings.  It must be eating him up inside now he’s totally out of control of a situation that he cannot buy our bully his way out of.

However delusional he is he must know the strength of the evidence against him and be mortified by the photos showing where these documents were stored.  Hopefully many sleepless nights in the months ahead.

13 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

This is the epitome of a cult of personality. It's remarkable watching this in real time.

He's literally walked out of court, into a Cuban cafe in Miami and is turning it into a dog and pony show, perfect performance and free publicity.

Unreal stuff.

Saw some reporters saying that this was a good move as these are the images that will be shown and likely remembered afterwards rather than the artist depictions of him sitting, scowling in a court room.

ETA: Definitely not a cult...

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1668714443105026050

Edited by RiG

12 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

It's all part of the plan to slow this down as much as possible so that come election time, he can argue that it must be suspended until post election, which he thinks he will win and pardon himself.

We are going to the the politics equivalent of taking the ball into the corner and going down injured. 

No doubt that he'll be hoping to punt this off into the long grass, but I'm not so sure he's ever thought he'd win the presidency. He started ranting about rigged elections way before he won in 2016 as a cushion for when he lost. His thin skin and comical defensiveness implies that he's well aware of his own inadequacy.

This does genuinely seem like something he's going to struggle to escape from, so I wonder if there'll be a eventual withdrawal from the race in favour of a candidate who privately pledges to pardon him.

Trump has only one chance, to taint the jury pool to the extent that an objective jury cannot be sworn in.  I do not think that will happen.

If the jury is even close to impartial then the evidence and the law will prevail.

The use of the espionage act is key, even if the jurors buy into his declassification bullshit it becomes immaterial.

I don’t think he’s stupid enough to go on the stand but I hope I’m wrong.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Trump has only one chance, to taint the jury pool to the extent that an objective jury cannot be sworn in.  I do not think that will happen.

If the jury is even close to impartial then the evidence and the law will prevail.

The use of the espionage act is key, even if the jurors buy into his declassification bullshit it becomes immaterial.

Totally agree. Also, what was interesting is that it was being reported that quite a few Trump leaning former military personnel have found this to be a step too far. Guessing they are much more clued up of the do's and dont's of sensitive military information.

If the jury is both impartial and has anyone with a military background, he is toast. 

I watched his rambling in that Cuban cafe and, once again, marvelled that a fairly solid 50% of the American vote is in his pocket. 

We had Boris, but even his own supporters recognised he was a fanny and an electoral liability.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I watched his rambling in that Cuban cafe and, once again, marvelled that a fairly solid 50% of the American vote is in his pocket. 

We had Boris, but even his own supporters recognised he was a fanny and an electoral liability.

That recently-posted list of self-defined priorities among Republican voters was hilarious.

Essentially "getting it right up the Libs" is now more important than anything to do with the economy, defence, or other traditional conservative issues. It can all burn in the name of liberal tears.

4 minutes ago, BTFD said:

That recently-posted list of self-defined priorities among Republican voters was hilarious.

Essentially "getting it right up the Libs" is now more important than anything to do with the economy, defence, or other traditional conservative issues. It can all burn in the name of liberal tears.

I once heard that segment of Republicans described as people who would gladly eat a dog turd in order to breath on a liberal.

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

A prediction and a question.

If/when this goes to trial Trump will not take the stand.

Can the prosecution lawyers quote public statements from members of Trump’s legal team?

No…and in a criminal trial the unwillingness to take the stand cannot be held against him, unlike civil trials. Quoting public statements is heresay in this context.

11 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The issue will be possible jury nullification, that is the willingness of a juror or jurors to vote not guilty because they don’t believe in the charges brought as fair or just. In a Federal trial, the jury must be unanimous, unlike Florida rules which allow non-unanimous decisions in a number of cases.

After the verdict, then the excitement about jury tampering or juror misconduct will begin almost immediately, I can almost guarantee that at least 5, 10 or more of the potential jurors called will say they are impartial and not a fan, supporter or or opponent of Trump…and will then be presented with social media posts, comments or pictures of them at rallies that suggest otherwise. In the end, more Trump supporters will go to jail.

10 minutes ago, TxRover said:

in a criminal trial the unwillingness to take the stand cannot be held against him, unlike civil trials. 

Theoretically not, and I’m sure the jurors will be so advised; however it will not necessarily stop them wondering why he’s not testifying.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Theoretically not, and I’m sure the jurors will be so advised; however it will not necessarily stop them wondering why he’s not testifying.

Surely you’re not suggesting that a stern admonishment to the jury might be ignored? Yea, it’s a difficult point, and the counterpoint is that a selection of a jury in south-east Florida without some Trump supporters is pretty much impossible.

There was much speculation as to why Trump was charged in the southern District of Southern Florida instead of Washington D.C., and the most likely explanation was the pending decision in Smith vs United States. Well, the Supreme Court released that decision today and it turns out they need not have worried…so now there will be a bunch of Monday morning quarterbacking about the choice of venue for the Trump prosecution. There was fear the decision in Smith could have have left Trump immune from retrial if the Courts later held he should indeed have been prosecuted in Miami instead of D.C.

1 minute ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Is the Donald finally losing it?

From The Independent.... "In a characteristically rambling post on the social meda site on Wednesday, Mr Trump said that the indictment “hoax” was the fault of misfits, marxists and communists – as well as “mutants”.

😂

He doesn't want to go around slagging off mutants to his base.