The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

8 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Trump being "clearly in much better mental shape" than Biden isn't setting the bar particularly high.  Weren't the Kardashians born in the USA? I'm sure at least one of them would be up for it and surely their business success is just as impressive as Trump's (didn't he start off with more than he has now?)

If Trump had cashed in all the money he inherited and invested it in an S&P tracker account he would now more wealthy than he actually claims to be.  Mind you that would not salve his ego.

11 hours ago, bigmarv said:

Yet another bewildering thing about American politics is the notion that Republicans are better at running the economy than Democrats. The exact opposite is true, from Clinton leaving a budget surplus to Bush to the job numbers below: 

F7xAqiIWwAA6lT4?format=jpg&name=medium

Perceptions and reality often diverge due to messaging and historical views. Republicans were at first the Party of Lincoln and then the Party of Businesses…now they are the Party of the Wealthy, but perceptions haven’t yet evolved.

Judge Chutkin has issued an order for Trump to announce if he will use an “advice of counsel defense”. If he intends to, Trump is ordered to disclose all communications between Trump and his lawyers, in line with the statutory rules covering an advise of counsel defense…something that has to happen before the trial starts. This decision is required by January 15th, 2024 (the use of an advice of counsel defense includes a waiver of attorney client privilege), and on that date ALL attorney client communications between Donald Trump and his lawyers would be required to be handed over if they decide to use that defense…I expect they will not, since the guilty pleas in Georgia are an admission to the contrary.

11 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

This corpulent, orange sex-offender no in prison yet?

I will, sadly, be shocked if he ever darkens the door of a jail cell. He’s had a pass so far for behavior that would have had anyone else tossed in the stir, and he will either drop dead, or be let off, is my prediction.

10 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I will, sadly, be shocked if he ever darkens the door of a jail cell. He’s had a pass so far for behavior that would have had anyone else tossed in the stir, and he will either drop dead, or be let off, is my prediction.

I don't expect it to happen either, but I'll settle for him dying of natural causes while his disgrace and personal ruin is still fresh in the public consciousness.

I want to see him face some sort of consequences for his behaviour, and I don't see death as a punishment because it's just part of the natural order of things and happens to us all. Humiliation, destitution, and an indisputable public record of his intransigence and compulsive lying.

Incidentally, something I've always wondered is whether there is any method to strip him of, and prohibit him using the honorific "President". OK, can't undo the past and all that, but he is, was, and continues to be a complete and utter disgrace to the title and office, so I see it as somewhat akin to stripping a Savile-type of their Knighthood.

4 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I don't expect it to happen either, but I'll settle for him dying of natural causes while his disgrace and personal ruin is still fresh in the public consciousness.

I want to see him face some sort of consequences for his behaviour, and I don't see death as a punishment because it's just part of the natural order of things and happens to us all. Humiliation, destitution, and an indisputable public record of his intransigence and compulsive lying.

Incidentally, something I've always wondered is whether there is any method to strip him of, and prohibit him using the honorific "President". OK, can't undo the past and all that, but he is, was, and continues to be a complete and utter disgrace to the title and office, so I see it as somewhat akin to stripping a Savile-type of their Knighthood.

No need, according to no less a source than Emily Post, he shouldn’t be called that anyway:

https://emilypost.com/advice/addressing-a-former-president-of-the-united-states

31 minutes ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Trump loves a death penalty. If he had had his way, a recently elected New York City Councilor would have been put to death for the Central Park Five travesty…and Trump still says after they have been proven innocent, they should still be put to death. 

22 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Trump loves a death penalty. If he had had his way, a recently elected New York City Councilor would have been put to death for the Central Park Five travesty…and Trump still says after they have been proven innocent, they should still be put to death. 

He's not alone with that. America's full of judges and prosecutors who don't believe there should be any way for innocent people to be retried or freed if new evidence is uncovered, as it would undermine faith in the justice system. It's quite staggering the lengths some will go to keep people locked up for crimes they couldn't have committed.

I particularly like the tactic of insisting that people have to go back to court and perjure themselves by admitting that they committed the crime in order to be released, or remain in jail for the rest of their lives.

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

He's not alone with that. America's full of judges and prosecutors who don't believe there should be any way for innocent people to be retried or freed if new evidence is uncovered, as it would undermine faith in the justice system. It's quite staggering the lengths some will go to keep see people locked up put to death for crimes they couldn't have committed.

I particularly like the tactic of insisting that people have to go back to court and perjure themselves by admitting that they committed the crime in order to be released or spared the death penalty, or remain in jail for the rest of their lives.

FTFY

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

‘Peace Through Strength’ sounds like it’s from 1984.

Trump hasn’t been shy about telling us what he has planned. Revenge on those he perceives to have been disloyal and prosecution of future critics. He’s also planning to blanket pardon all those convicted for Jan 6 crimes. 

12 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Have you ever met someone from Georgia? Like a proper bulldogs fan? Or an Arpaio voting Arizonan?  

Tons of them. Sheriff Joe was massively popular back in the day. Everybody knew his policies of abusing prisoners in some of America's worst jails and harassing non-whites on the street, and they thought it was hilarious.

I'd guess we're maybe 10-20 years away from having similar political figures who'll encourage the polis to stop people who don't look caucasian enough and destroy any documentation they're carrying, and use prisoners as slaves in third-world conditions as a "deterrent" that doesn't work, but they need to get us out of the ECHR first. They'll be similarly popular, though.

• 2 weeks later...