The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

9 hours ago, bigmarv said:

I have still yet to be told when this period of American greatness was that they all want to get back to. 

The slogan would certainly indicate that he/they don’t believe America to be great now. Something they would go to town on had someone on the Democratic Party side come up with it. 

2 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

The mid 1980s when Diff’rent Strokes taught us that as long as whites have the money and power and minorities are small, cute and amusing then it’ll all be fine. 

Nah, 1950's, before Korea and the Soviets had become a threat. WW2 was over, America was the only real power (atomic or otherwise, the Soviets only had a couple of them), the minorities knew their place (the kitchen, the other side of the tracks, the back door, the back of the bus) and the economy was booming.

3 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

Ironically it was back when the rich paid a more fair share of taxes.

I’ve been living in US for 28yr now. I’ve spent the last seven years trying to get a straight answer out of them on this. 

my answer is typically, do you want the tax and immigration policy of that time? 😂

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Nah, 1950's, before Korea and the Soviets had become a threat. WW2 was over, America was the only real power (atomic or otherwise, the Soviets only had a couple of them), the minorities knew their place (the kitchen, the other side of the tracks, the back door, the back of the bus) and the economy was booming.

…. Just as long as we don’t adopt the taxation and immigration policies of back then coz that sure as fukk was nothing to do with the making great stuff 😁

11 hours ago, bigmarv said:

I have still yet to be told when this period of American greatness was that they all want to get back to. 

I like the idea that is you went back to the "Good old days" then similar people would be there complaining about things and were wanting to go back to the "good old days". 

Rinse, repeat until you get back to the stone age.

The Colorado Republican Party has appealed the Trump ballot ban to the Supreme Court. This will extend the stay on that ruling beyond 4 Jan until SCOTUS either hears and rules, rejects the appeal, or remands. Trump is planning to appeal too.

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

How many Republicans are secretly hoping that SCOTUS upholds these decisions. Effectively taking Trump out.

Probably a few, there's a lot of spineless b*****ds in that party. Would not being on the ballot in Colorado and Maine make much difference to the outcome of any election though? Both fairly solidly Democrat places. Be interesting to see if many more states follow.

Wonder when the last election was where one of the main candidates wasn't on the ballot in certain states? I know Lincoln wasn't on the ballot in a lot of southern states prior to the civil war, anyone know if it has happened since the civil war era?

12 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Probably a few, there's a lot of spineless b*****ds in that party. Would not being on the ballot in Colorado and Maine make much difference to the outcome of any election though? Both fairly solidly Democrat places. Be interesting to see if many more states follow.

Wonder when the last election was where one of the main candidates wasn't on the ballot in certain states? I know Lincoln wasn't on the ballot in a lot of southern states prior to the civil war, anyone know if it has happened since the civil war era?

I think he got an electoral college vote from Maine (1 out of 4) in 2016 & 2020. You're right in that it doesn't impact the electoral arithmetic significantly. Its starting to become a bit of a crescendo. Are there any battleground states where the 14th ammendment might be in play?

I'm not sure on the later point. TxRover might know. Trump would probably take the comparison to Lincoln (I can see him using that). He also hopes to return the USA to the 1800s!

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

I think he got an electoral college vote from Maine (1 out of 4) in 2016 & 2020. You're right in that it doesn't impact the electoral arithmetic significantly. Its starting to become a bit of a crescendo. Are there any battleground states where the 14th ammendment might be in play?

I'm not sure on the later point. TxRover might know. Trump would probably take the comparison to Lincoln (I can see him using that). He also hopes to return the USA to the 1800s!

Ah, is Maine one of the states that splits the electoral votes? More significant (even if slightly) then.

Michigan's Supreme Court rejected an appeal to have removed from their ballot but I think there's talk that might change depending on what happens with law suits. That would be a big blow as Trump won that in 2016.

4 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I mean no criticism of your post, but even consideration of Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War in the political mechanics of the 2020's reveals a lot about the shitshow of contemporary America.

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I mean no criticism of your post, but even consideration of Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War in the political mechanics of the 2020's reveals a lot about the shitshow of contemporary America.

Absolutely. The whole thing is a complete circus and I can't for the life of me understand why the vast majority of America can't see it.

4 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Trump would probably take the comparison to Lincoln (I can see him using that). He also hopes to return the USA to the 1800s!

I think he's more the Jefferson Davis type.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/nov/02/steve-bannon-book-trump-speech

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Definitely, but he's compared himself to Lincoln before. I'm sure that, more than once, he's - laughably - said about him doing more for African Americans than any President since Lincoln.

Edited by houston_bud

11 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Punt. Michigan went the way it did because it lacked a law similar to that Colorado relied upon. Not sure the story in Maine, sitting in London City Airport hoping to make tomorrow’s Raith match.