Irn Bru Challenge Cup Semi Finals Draw; Monday, 14th November.

RUSTY1111

Having paid no attention whatsoever to this (only realised Welsh teams were in it last week), I have no idea if TNS are any good. What sort of level are they meant to be at?

I guess if we're going to get pumped, it'll be nice to get pumped by someone who isn't also going to pump us in the league.

Decent Championship level apparently. Didn't see enough of them yesterday to judge for myself. Rumoured to have a monthly wage budget of 150k.

I'll be supporting St Mirren anyway. Get this farce over with.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Having paid no attention whatsoever to this (only realised Welsh teams were in it last week), I have no idea if TNS are any good. What sort of level are they meant to be at?

I guess if we're going to get pumped, it'll be nice to get pumped by someone who isn't also going to pump us in the league.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Decent Championship level apparently. Didn't see enough of them yesterday to judge for myself. Rumoured to have a monthly wage budget of 150k.

I'll be supporting St Mirren anyway. Get this farce over with.

I watched their game yesterday. They were comfortably better than Livi. Result never in doubt.

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Considering how easily Dundee United destroyed us a few weeks ago I'd far rather we faced them now than travelling up the road somewhere to be humiliated in front of a big crowd with the cameras watching.

Away to TNS would have been a novelty but would have given us next to nothing financially and I wouldn't fancy our chances either.

Home to St Mirren and TNS would have been better. Away to those two or United would have been worse. So it's far from the worst draw.

I suppose its arguable, given the ties arent until February, but as it stands away to saintees is a more winnable game than home to Utd. Away to TNS would have been better for the novelty value and the fact its a team we wont face 4 times already. 

Only away to Utd would have been a worse draw 

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I watched their game yesterday. They were comfortably better than Livi. Result never in doubt.

That's pretty upsetting - I was at uni in Wales and we went to a few Welsh League games (admittedly in the previous Millennium). We always thought it was a dogshit standard. :unsure2:

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

That's pretty upsetting - I was at uni in Wales and we went to a few Welsh League games (admittedly in the previous Millennium). We always thought it was a dogshit standard. :unsure2:

There was a bit about them at HT in the Alba presentation.  

Apparently they've had a lot of investment over the last few years, and are way better than the club they were even 5 years ago.

They'll definitely be a challenge, especially the way we've been playing this season.

15 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think it is generally but TNS are miles ahead of the rest, TNS have won every game and only conceded 7 goals in 14 games this season. Watched the game yesterday and they strolled it against Livingstone.

We're supposed to be at home to Dundee Utd the weekend of the semis so that'll be another re-arranged game to midweek probably.

Same sceneario for Queens. At home to Dunfermline to be re-arranged midweek.

Someone was asking on one of the other threads what kind of support TNS might bring if they make the Final. Not much by the looks of attendances at Welsh cup finals - although I'd imagine the Irn Bru Cup Final against Scottish Championship opposition might be seen as a 'bigger deal' to their fans than the domestic stuff, which they play in almost every season. On the other hand it would be much further away than Welsh cup finals - which are normally near, in north Wales.

England and Scotland also have home qualifiers the day of the final.

In the last 8 years they have played in 4 Welsh FA Cup Finals, with crowds of 731... 1,273... 1,579... 1,402. In the last 8 years they've also played in 6 Welsh League Cup Finals, with crowds of 555... 375... 310... 455... 657... 1,158. When they reached the Final of the FAW Premier Cup - against Conference side Newport in 2006-07 played at Newport - crowd was 1,809.

Archived