The second worst accent in Scotland?

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

Saying Ken is quite a contagious thing to do, same goes for like and eh after you say something. I never say the last 2 nowadays, used to always say eh though and it really makes no sense why people say it. I started saying Ken as a joke a while ago but it seems to have stuck with me now. Hopefully I will one day be back on the west coast and this terrible affliction will be over.

I quite liked one of my uni buddies from Musselburgh adding all those wee bits in, it deflected a wee bit from me talking like a Glasgow Schemie.

Just now, Paco said:

Really if you find yourself struggling to be understood when you venture outside of your local area, you have a terrible accent. (assuming both parties speak English)

There are quite a few people that struggle to understand me in my local area, I spent the 1st 6 weeks at uni hanging around with a Greek student with decent English, eventually he declared that he only ever understood about 20% of what I said.

I enjoy the rich gamut of accents and dialects prevalent in Scotland.

None particularly annoy me, although some examples ofthe Norn Irish accent can be quite harsh but are generally toned down by those living over here.

#oneworld

Aberdeen.

Glaswegian accent is the best accent in Scotland. A suttle dundonian accent is lovely. Schemie Dundonian is funny. Lot of time for the neeeburs Fife accent too. Like Ayrshire accents and all. I like all accents that actually sound Scottish. Those further north than Aberdeen and south of Ayrshire and in the borders just sound weird. IMO.

When I worked in Edinburgh I noticed they had a really annoying habit of saying "the next again", as in "it happened the next again day" or "it's on the next again desk". 

When you pointed this out to them a lot of them didn't even seem to realize they did it but. 

When I worked in Edinburgh I noticed they had a really annoying habit of saying "the next again", as in "it happened the next again day" or "it's on the next again desk". 

When you pointed this out to them a lot of them didn't even seem to realize they did it but. 

Yeah that one irritates me. Everyone here seems to say it. Apparently 'the week after next' is too much effort.

5 hours ago, Ross. said:

I have to put on something close to the "Glasgow Uni" accent fairly often over here, in order to be understood when speaking English to a lot of folk here. Essentially it's just slower and clearer than normal.

You could always try German....

5 minutes ago, Torpar said:

You could always try German....

Genau, Ich sollte mehr Deutsch sprechen, aber wenn ich sprech mit andere ausländers was normal ist, ist dass Englisch ist die erste sprache.

Mostly in a work context I was meaning. I work in finance and I work for an American firm. I need to speak English for 90% of the work I do.

Edited by Ross.

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

Genau, Ich sollte mehr Deutsch sprechen, aber wenn ich sprech mit andere ausländers was normal ist, ist dass Englisch ist die erste sprache.

That's true, and usually they answer back in English anyway, just to show off. When speaking to German speakers I mean

Edited by Torpar

Just now, Torpar said:

That's true, and usually they answer back in English anyway, just to show off

As soon as they know you are a natural English speaker they want to practice. I've turned the tables on them mind you. I generally ask folk if they speak English and regardless of the answer I try and talk German. The biggest issue I have though is understanding the different dialects within Swiss German. Sounds absolutely f**k all like the hoch Deutsch I have to learn.

4 hours ago, milton75 said:

The Limmy thing is about spot on. Really anyone that finishes sentences with "eh", or lifts their voice at the end of a sentence like some sort of brain-addled antipodean village idiot.

My wife gets texts from a Fife pal that always ends in "eh". She looks at the phone like it's covered in dog shit. 

My wife gets texts from a Fife pal that always ends in "eh". She looks at the phone like it's covered in dog shit. 

I end a lot of my sentences with eh or like.. That's gid like, that's gd eh etc. :ph34r:

Eta: text and speaking. I think this is a pretty common thing though. Except it's but instead of like with weegies. After thinking about it and speaking to people in work there I don't do it that much but it's still pretty regular.