The second worst accent in Scotland?

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Not in my experience. It is used in place of the word know. I cant see how that could be redundant unless used pointlessly at the end of sentences, which can be said of people who put "know" or "know what I mean" or "but" at the end of sentences. 

Which accounts for 95% of its use. And its a cretinous replacement for the word 'know' anyway. 

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Stop talking pish. It's an abbreviation . 

For what, exactly?

1 minute ago, vikingTON said:

Which accounts for 95% of its use. And its a cretinous replacement for the word 'know' anyway. 

For what, exactly?

At the end of sentences it's usually "you know?", which is just clarifying what's been said. During sentences it's "know" or someone's name.

"But" after a sentence is for weirdos . 

11 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I put "but" at the end of sentences.

Didn't realise I was the worst kind of scum until now tbh.

You are, but.

This thread's moving from accents to patterns of speech and the two that annoy me are the frequent but redundant use of 'like' and 'kind of'.  Oh and anyone who uses the phrase, "and (s)he turned round and said" should be kind of sent to like the electric chair.

Edited by The_Kincardine

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

At the end of sentences it's usually "you know?", which is just clarifying what's been said. During sentences it's "know" or someone's name.

"But" after a sentence is for weirdos . 

'Ken' cannot possibly be an abbreviation for 'know' or 'you know'. I don't think that you know what 'abbreviation' means tbh. 

It's distinct and utterly cretinous word, peddled by bumpkins. 

These debates raged in the clubs and libraries of Edinburgh back in the days of the Enlightenment. "Scotticisms" and their use were agonised over by some of the finest and most influential minds ever to grace Northern Europe. The spirit of Hume, Boswell and Burns is alive and well on P&B. 

300 years from now, history students will pore over the work of 8Mile.. VT, Keith/Pete/Billy et al.

1 minute ago, Günther said:

Got to agree with the Glasgow Uni / West end accent. Horrendous accent and put on as well. My wee sister who ironically went to Paisley Uni talks with this accent and it drives me mental. She lives up in Aberdeen now and I'd be surprised if many of them knew she's from Glasgow let alone Govan. 

The music is so loud in that strip club nobody picks up on her accent anyway. Don't let it bother you.

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

These debates raged in the clubs and libraries of Edinburgh back in the days of the Enlightenment. "Scotticisms" and their use were agonised over by some of the finest and most influential minds ever to grace Northern Europe. The spirit of Hume, Boswell and Burns is alive and well on P&B. 

Well they weren't really.  Dr Johnston had a particular disdain for Scotchness which I think was tempered somewhat during his relationship with Boswell.

You've half a point with Burns.  His best poems were written in the argot.