The second worst accent in Scotland?

6 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Pretty moronic statement. Dumfries and Galloway is one of the biggest areas in the country, with completely different accents depending on where about in the region you are.

Everyone from the Borders sounds the same, mate.

4 minutes ago, Günther said:

Hardly moronic. People are quick on saying the "Weegie accent". First of all, I don't get offended or insulted by our accents getting slagged as I couldn't care, you obviously do. And lastly, the east of Glasgow accent is different from the south west of Glasgow as is the north west of Glasgow... 

Who mentioned the weegie accent? Also, if you think I'm insulted in the slightest by that, you're clearly deluded. I was merely pointing out what you said was moronic, which it was. Glad to have cleared that up. 

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Everyone from the Borders sounds the same, mate.

I know M8.

Are those the ones that sound like they're Welsh?

yep. 

Speaking of Welsh Accents, surely it is the worst off all accents in the British Isles?

I think you'll find that the Orcadian accent is the Welsh sounding one. Shetland is mixture of old Scots with some Scandinavian sounds to it as well.

The weegie accent is probably the most annoying. The insistence on adding "but" to the end of sentences is odd and the whole "weegie patter" thing is cringeworthy.

Aberdeenshire - where one of the slogans for the the region is - Aberdeen City & Shire

The people from outwith the City do say without a hint of Tolkienesque irony that they live 'in the Shire',

They have some of the most indecipherable words and accents that would truly make you believe they are from another world never mind another country.

2 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Aberdeenshire - where one of the slogans for the the region is - Aberdeen City & Shire

The people from outwith the City do say without a hint of Tolkienesque irony that they live 'in the Shire',

They have some of the most indecipherable words and accents that would truly make you believe they are from another world never mind another country.

A lovely place though. Well west of Aberdeen anyway. Broad Aberdeen accents make me cringe when I hear it on TV.

The Edinburgh accent where the person is obliged to finish every sentence with 'eh' or 'aa' is the worst in the country though. 

2 hours ago, Kool Keith said:

The West Lothian weegie-lite accent is also aural torture imo and I met a girl from Denny once who was genuinely difficult to listen to even though she looked great.

This was a new one to me until I moved through here. Was talking to some plumbers and asked where in Glasgow they were from and they said "Livingston". Now I live on the wrong side of the bypass I might to start talking like that. 

Neddy accents are grim but what really grates is neddy types who have moved up in the world and pepper their speech with big words like "actually". 

4 minutes ago, shootingboots said:

A lovely place though. Well west of Aberdeen anyway. Broad Aberdeen accents make me cringe when I hear it on TV.

The Edinburgh accent where the person is obliged to finish every sentence with 'eh' or 'aa' is the worst in the country though. 

Years ago I was watching a TV report on accents. Reporter asks someone in street in Aberdeen (looked like shops Mastrick/Northfield way),

Reporter - How do you feel about the Aberdeen having one of the clearest and easiest understood accents?

Aberdonian - Aye, we div, divent we (Yes we do, don't we)

There was no follow-up question.

24 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Ayrshire accent is easily the worst for me.  It's like a Weegie accent but they don't want to be called a Weegie so inexplicably change the pronunciation of some words.

"Feeneeshed". 

tumblr_inline_mn7ttqfzDh1qz4rgp.gif

This happens in parts of Fife too. Seeeven (7).  

Nasal neds are bowfing to be fair but it's more the words they use than the accent as such. I don't particularly care for the Mawningsehd/Kelvingrove posh accents you get amongst older people, sometimes even ministers...

ted.png

only the second worst accent... the second worst accent...

Some of these answers are a too board an area. For example - Fife accent, people from Inverkeithing don't have the same accent as people from say Kelty or Kirkcaldy. Welsh accent - Cardiff and Wrexham are totally different. And as football maniac said, Dumfries doesn't seem to have one accent. The ned types seems to have some kind of weegie accent, my mother's family (from Glencaple, because Dumfries is rural enough clearly!) seem to have very natural Scottish accents. Go down the road a little to Annan and it seems to be some horrible Scottish/Carlisle hybrid.

Anyway my vote goes to Dundee, can't even pronounce I properly, and drive round "circles"

4 hours ago, Ross. said:

You should watch Limmy. "That accent" is clearly the worst. Followed by the roasters in parts of Ayrshire who use words like "Twa", "Seeven" and "Eleevin" when counting.

I'm guessing that you sound like David Cameron.

Scottish people using slang words shocker...