50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

. Some superb music in there too, especially Old Love/New Love by Twin Shadow.

That part when you're driving to meet Franklin at the oilfields whilst Radio Gaga is blaring is fantastic. 

The best part of Trevor is choosing his character and watching him murder something or getting chased. usually a chuckle or 2 at it. 

I've been replaying GTA V lately. I have to say, while it's clearly a fantastic game, I'm genuinely finding it a bit of a slog getting through it. As ever with Rockstar there are some superb characters, some of the big missions are extremely memorable and there's a good story behind it so I'm being picky, but on a second playthrough I'm just not finding it particularly exciting, even taking into account the option of playing through the missions in different ways.
Even with GTA IV, which took a fair bit of criticism for being too serious and not having enough emphasis on fun gameplay along with the serious story, I still got a lot of enjoyment out of going back a couple of years later to complete it again and felt it was a better game than I did when first playing it, but I'm not getting the same buzz going back to V that I have with every other GTA since Vice City.
Still, that's all a matter of taste and objectively I can't argue with those rating it so highly. I've also never played it online, which I realise adds a whole other dimension and may contribute to others loving it so much.

My biggest problem with the GTA games is that they feel like a slog to get through. The exception for me is Vice City, which is why I think Vice City is a fantastic game that only just missed out on my top ten, but no other GTA games would come close to my list.

Skyrim over Oblivion is equivalent to MGS above MGS3. Democracy doesn't work. 

Relying on the Witcher 3 topping the list to save the day for the adventure RPG.

I think as fantastic as GTAV is, it lacks the nostalgia factor which launches alot of these games forwards. It's far easier to respectively look back at our several year younger self favourites than something we've played in recent months.

PIE AND BOVRIL - 50 GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME

5th place

Red Dead Redemption  Image result for red dead redemption

The number one game on my own list and, regardless of where/if you place it in your top 10 I don't think anyone who has experienced Red Dead Redemption would have any complaints about it coming in this high up our list.

This is going to be an image fest to be honest just due to the sheer beauty of the game, just look at it:

Image result for red dead redemption

Red Dead Redemption (RDR from now) was released by Rockstar back in 2010 for the Xbox 360 and PS3.  The game, set during the decline of theAmerican Frontier in the year 1911, follows John Marston, a former outlaw whose wife and son are taken hostage by the government in ransom for his services as a hired gun. Having no other choice, Marston sets out to bring the three members of his former gang to justice. 

The game was set in the West of the USA on the Mexican border, and had a variety of fantastic locations and story options due to this.  One of the main "big bits" of the game for me was the crossing of the river which split USA and Mexico.  This mission, and what followed with the Mexican rebels was fantastic.  If you haven't played the game (or other Rockstar games) then its probably quite difficult to explain the scale of the landscape you have to cover.

Image result for red dead redemption map  

The game starts with your character, the best man in gaming ever John Marston, challenging his old friend and gang colleague Bill Williamson at the front of his ranch.    Marston is shot and left for dead by Williamson and...........well if the game ended there it would suck.  John is rescued by a local rancher Bonnie MacFarlane.  From there he recovers and (after some worrying early missions lasoo'ing horses he begins to navigate through the world attempting to bring Williamson and his cronies to justice.  Marston has been forced into this situation by the game version of the FBI.

I really cannot do justice to the story and how it progresses but I will call out some of my highlights of the game that I can remember:

• Side missions including finding Wanted notices at the train station where you can kill or catch the suspect for a reward.
  • The "moral" option.  Be a good guy or a really bad cowboy and you get various positive and negatives for each.
  • Meeting Nigel West Dickens a travelling conman who you offer to help and gives you missions.
  • The grave robber and the more haunting missions he asks you to help with.
  • The old Wild West horse and Carriages and the missions where you have to race them.
  • Meeting up with the Mexican rebels and helping them in their mission to defeat the Army.
  • Playing card games in Dead Mans Landing.
  • Hunting animals - especially the more rare ones.
  • And of course tying people up and leaving them on the trainlines.  Some of the missions involving trains were superb. Image result for red dead redemption

I've most likely missed hundreds out but they were the personal highlights off the top of my head.

The soundtrack to the game, as you would expect with Rockstar, is pretty much perfection.  They have done a great job of creating a real Western feeling with the music - how it builds as you progress to more challenging sections of the game is also very good.

Only negative for me about the game is the final part where you control Marston's son.  I won't spoil it just in case anyone is still looking to play through but I found the son to be very whiny.  If I'd been out risking death for X amount of time to save my family and came home to such a wee p***k I'd most likely throw him out of the house.

RDR shipped around 14 million copies and I would guess that most of these were sold.  It won multiple game of the year awards and, in my opinion, is the greatest game Rockstar have ever made.  Not sure why I feel this way but I think just because it is so different from the normal GTA games that Rockstar produce.  Maybe also due to the fact that I really wanted to finish the story - with most GTA games I've been quite happy just to mess around.  

RDR was rated extremely highly in reviews with everything being 9/10 or above which I think is fair.  It is the greatest game I have ever played and took 88 points in our poll.  It was ranked by you lot as:

• 2 x 1st place
  • 4 x 2nd place
  • 1 x 3rd place
  • 2 x 4th place
  • 1 x 6th place
  • 1 x 8th place
  • 1 x 9th place 

There's always a couple of games for every console that you end up annoyed about not being able to play, and Red Dead Redemption was one of mine from the last generation  Hope to give it a bash now that I've picked up a PS3 for playing Blu-Rays, when I have some free time, and can persuade the rest of the family to give up the TV for a few minutes. So, probably never, then  :(

Was that zombie add-on worth playing too?

Archived