50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

Just fired off a PM, but might as well post my list in here too. Got a feeling I'm forgetting something I'll be seething at leaving out, but this is what I've managed to come up with:

1. The Last of Us (PS3)
2. Halo (Xbox)
3. Pokemon Blue (Gameboy)
4. The Witcher 3 (PS4)
5. Dishonored (PS3)
6. Championship Manager 01/02 (PC)
7. Fallout: New Vegas (Xbox 360)
8. Splinter Cell (Xbox)
9. Far Cry: Primal (PS4)
10. Future Cop: LAPD (Playstation)

TBH, the top 2 are nailed on, but the rest could have been placed anywhere in the 10. Honourable mentions for games like Bioshock, Darksiders, Advance Wars, Assassin's Creed 2 and some of the early Pro Evo/ISS games. Resident Evil 3 back on the Playstation just missed out, too.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My list:
1. Legend of Zelda: ocarina of time

2. Legend of Zelda: A link to the past

3. Donkey Kong Country 3

4. Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness

5. The Curse of Monkey Island

6. Skyrim

7. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

8. Super Mario Bros 3

9. Goldeneye 007 (N64 version)

10. Pokemon Blue

With today's entries we now have a flat top 50 again.  The top spot has changed hands three times today so any late entries tonight might make some changes.

Some of the results are very interesting, I don't want to jump the gun but I will have some kind of information coming out to you all later on tonight about 9pm.

Can you try to now refrain from posting your individual lists to make it a bit more exciting for those who are interested?

ETA - 16 points is now the cut off to make the list.  I currently have 32 games which are within 5 points of making this cut off.

With today's entries we now have a flat top 50 again.  The top spot has changed hands three times today so any late entries tonight might make some changes.

Some of the results are very interesting, I don't want to jump the gun but I will have some kind of information coming out to you all later on tonight about 9pm.

Can you try to now refrain from posting your individual lists to make it a bit more exciting for those who are interested?

ETA - 16 points is now the cut off to make the list.  I currently have 32 games which are within 5 points of making this cut off.

You get my list?

PIE AND BOVRIL - 50 GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME

The One Pointers

Image result for retro computer games game over

Evening All,

Don't panic if you were planning on sending your list through tonight, the polls are very much still open.  I've decided though to give you all a little bit of a teaser tonight by outing some of the games that will (al)most definitely NOT make the list.  They are the Pie and Bovril equivalent of a "zero-pointer"...........although they do have 1 point.   It is pretty much Game Over (see what I did there) for these games.

We have 22 games who have only had one nomination for the Top 50 games ever and sadly for their developers they have only been ranked as good enough to make the final position on some peoples lists.  

I won't post all of them here as I will release the full list eventually but some highlights of the one-pointers are:

NBA Jam  Image result for nba jam

This is one of my early game memories and favourites.  It wasn't on my list but it definitely brought a wee nostalgic smile to my face when I saw that someone else had nominated it.

This game is 23 years old!!!!  That is quite incredible and if you look at the screenshot above the graphics seem to stand up not too badly.  Someone feel free to correct me but I'm sure you could smash the glass behind the board with a certain type of slam dunk and I can remember that it was the main aim when playing the game as a kid.

More to come from our "One-point" list soon.

*If any of these games get an extra couple of nominations tonight and make the top 50 please avoid tears and moans*

The One Pointers

Golden Axe  Image result for golden axe

WHAT!!

A!!

GAME!!

Golden Axe was one of the games I remember having on my old Mega Drive and, along with Streets of Rage, helped pass many many hours in attempt to complete in the pre-save days.

On reflection now was Golden Axe a rip-off of He-Man?  Never really noticed it at the time but when you search through Google the imagery seems to be quite similar to that of He Man.  My favourite character in Golden Axe was the guy simply called Ax.  

Once again Golden Axe wasn't on my list and it was a very very late nomination.  Not too sure who nominated it but feel free to share your Golden Axe memories here.

The One Pointers

Agatha Christie's Hidden Objects GameImage result for agatha christie hidden object games

I have included this in my initial update as I was very very confused when this dropped in as part of someones list.  I can see from the picture above that it is possibly as simple as it says in the title - perhaps a bit of a Where's Wally type time-consuming game?

Perhaps the person who nominated this game (or anyone else) could come and tell us a bit about the game as it is one of the stranger choices.

Golden Axe was tremendous fun. Who else owned the cartridge with this, Streets of Rage and Shinobi II on it?

Would have loved that when I was a kid. I got the one with columns, world cup italia 90 and super hang.

I had Golden Axe as number 10 on my list. It's the game I played the most as a kid. One of the local shops near my primary school had the arcade version outside. I used to save some money from my lunch to play it on the way home. Was late home many a time because of it.

I still play it now and again bought it for the Xbox 360 and have it on my phone. Just hearing the music is pretty nostalgic for me.

The developers were trying to copy Double Dragon but at the same time make it different enough to stand out. It was influenced by Conan and Lord of the Rings, mainly. The magic and being able to ride beasts was a first for the side scrolling beat-em up. The chicken leg creature, you can ride, was actually an enemy in Altered Beast which was another game from the same company. The "supposed" main character is called Ax Battler even though he fights with a sword.

The One Pointers

Crash Bandicoot 3 - Warped

Image result for crash bandicoot 3 warped

This is certainly not the only Crash Bandicoot title to be nominated for our list although I'm unsure if any of the others will actually gather enough votes to make the top 50.  This particular version, Crash Bandicoot 3, was the final one to be released on PS1 I believe and was the last Crash game that I personally owned.  I don't think I had any of the PS2 ones.

Crash Bandicoot did, in my opinion, give Playstation that title character that they were probably looking for to compete with Sonic and Mario.  I don't think it was quite as marketable as the other two I mentioned but I think this was more down to the fact that PS1 had a lot more games based in realism than SEGA and Nintendo and as such a cartoon character might not have been the best fit.

On a personal note I would rate Crash up there with Sonic in terms of a fun character probably due to the speed of the game.  Crash 1 & 2 were extremely good but the novelty had worn off by the time this one came out.  Similar to some comments in the thread regarding the remastered version of the games that is coming out I felt that Crash 3 was a bit too polished and wasn't quite as good as the first two.

Probably now guys would be a good time to say that I cancelled my idea of grouping games together into a series and counting all the votes together.

I didn't think this would be the best representation to be honest as you get some great games in a series that are countered by some horrible ones.  Best example I can offer is Pro Evolution Soccer.  The original 8-10 years of this game were great but it fell away badly for a few years.  I've had some nominations for specific games as part of a series and if they get to enough points they will be on the list.

The One Pointers

FIFA 96  Image result for fifa 96

Another one pointer and this time our first entry in the FIFA series.   

FIFA 96 was, I believe, quite a groundbreaking game in the series (and in football games on consoles) as it was the first FIFA to be released on the very new Playstation changing the graphics from this

Image result for fifa 96 megadrive

to this

Image result for fifa 96 playstation

Now of course looking back it looks dreadful but at the time it was of course a real shift in quality.   I don't actually think that FIFA 96 came out here in the UK on Playstation and it was perhaps a North America release but someone can prove me wrong.  I certainly remember my mate had a Playstation very early and the first FIFA he had was 1997.

FIFA 96 had real players, formation options, edit functions and AUDIO COMMENTARY!!!  I'll never forget the first time I heard the FIFA 97 commentary with Andy Gray on PS1 but this one had the king of commentators John Motson.

I can see Jason McAteer is on the cover (!!!!!!) but bonus points awarded for whoever knows who he is tackling in the picture.  I certainly don't.

Whilst we are on the FIFA subject I would just like to say that, at the moment, none of the FIFA titles make it into the top 50.  We did get more than 1 nomination for FIFA 97 AND FIFA 98 with all of the other FIFAs getting a sole nomination.  Currently I have the following FIFA titles listed:

• FIFA 97
  • FIFA RTWC 98
  • FIFA 98
  • FIFA 99
  • FIFA 08
  • FIFA 17

If I had added them altogether then FIFA would probably be a top 10/15 shot but I really didn't think that was the best way to do it.  FIFA have produced some magnificent football games (as per the votes more pre 00 and then towards the 2010 period and onwards) but they also had some absolute shockers from 2000-2010.  FIFA was viewed by complete Pro Ev fanboys like me as a childs alternative to real football but they have pulled this back very well.  My "first" new FIFA was RTWC 2010 which I enjoyed immensely after playing FIFA 2010 at my mates house and I've been a FIFA man ever since.

It frightens me to think how much money EA must've made from FIFA over the years, especially in the last few years with Ultimate Team.

Thats my updates for tonight finished now.  I'm expecting major broadband issues at home for the next couple of days so don't worry if I don't post tomorrow - will be back Tuesday at the worst.  Currently just 4 points separate the top 3.

NBA Jam was great, I played it again just a couple of months ago. Atlanta Hawks for life.

Also, another of those one-pointers is no longer a one-pointer now I've submitted my list. Surprised it's not making the 50.

This is so difficult.   To narrow things down, I’ve used a criteria that to get on the list games must either have been ground-breaking, influential or be the peak of its genre (and ideally two out of those three). 

The Catch 22 is that If a game is not influential then it arguably loses its claim to all-time greatness, but the irony of a game being influential is that it influences and results in other (better) games, which not only have the benefit of the earlier lessons but also better technology.

I’m really not convinced by my chosen order here, but I either go with it and post now or miss the deadline.   So, for what its worth, here’s my Top 10:

10. Witcher 3 – I alternated between this and Mass Effect 2, but this is currently the best game on next gen so needs to be on the list (but will likely be surpassed soon enough, hence number 10).  

9. The Secret of Monkey Island 2 –  the high-point of the (sadly not sufficiently commercially successful) graphical adventure genre.

8. Gears of War 2 – Gears series was hugely influential as a cover shooter but Gears 2 introduced Horde mode.

7. Civilization 2 – The first Civilization game was a great leap.   Civ 2 ironed out the kinks.   Been bettered by its sequels, but Civ 2 is probably the overall high point  of its time.

6. Defender – One of my earliest favs and one of the most influential.   Still stands the test of time.

5. Super Meat Boy – Was hard to leave Super Mario off the list but this is pure distilled (platform) gaming perfection. 

4. Destiny (The Taken King) – Poor initial release and controversies regarding DLC practices/pricing aside, when Destiny hit its stride it nailed it.   Best shooter.

3. The Last of Us – The best gaming narrative ever.   Clunky mechanics will age it in time, but not yet.

2. Spelunky – The pinnacle of rogue-like games.   Brilliantly designed, a game which may be timeless.

1. Tetris (Gameboy version, if I need to specify) – What is there to say?   Loved by (almost) everyone.   Spawned some great imitations (Super Puzzle Fighter Turbo HD being the pinnacle) but still reigns supreme.

The One Pointers

FIFA 96  latest?cb=20131216171400

FIFA 96 was, I believe, quite a groundbreaking game in the series (and in football games on consoles) as it was the first FIFA to be released on the very new Playstation changing the graphics from this

hqdefault.jpg

to this

617x.jpg

Now of course looking back it looks dreadful but at the time it was of course a real shift in quality.   I don't actually think that FIFA 96 came out here in the UK on Playstation and it was perhaps a North America release but someone can prove me wrong.  I certainly remember my mate had a Playstation very early and the first FIFA he had was 1997.

FIFA 96 had real players, formation options, edit functions and AUDIO COMMENTARY!!!  I'll never forget the first time I heard the FIFA 97 commentary with Andy Gray on PS1 but this one had the king of commentators John Motson.

I can see Jason McAteer is on the cover (!!!!!!) but bonus points awarded for whoever knows who he is tackling in the picture.  I certainly don't.

Whilst we are on the FIFA subject I would just like to say that, at the moment, none of the FIFA titles make it into the top 50.  We did get more than 1 nomination for FIFA 97 AND FIFA 98 with all of the other FIFAs getting a sole nomination.  Currently I have the following FIFA titles listed:

• FIFA 97
  • FIFA RTWC 98
  • FIFA 98
  • FIFA 99
  • FIFA 08
  • FIFA 17

If I had added them altogether then FIFA would probably be a top 10/15 shot but I really didn't think that was the best way to do it.  FIFA have produced some magnificent football games (as per the votes more pre 00 and then towards the 2010 period and onwards) but they also had some absolute shockers from 2000-2010.  FIFA was viewed by complete Pro Ev fanboys like me as a childs alternative to real football but they have pulled this back very well.  My "first" new FIFA was RTWC 2010 which I enjoyed immensely after playing FIFA 2010 at my mates house and I've been a FIFA man ever since.

It frightens me to think how much money EA must've made from FIFA over the years, especially in the last few years with Ultimate Team.

Thats my updates for tonight finished now.  I'm expecting major broadband issues at home for the next couple of days so don't worry if I don't post tomorrow - will be back Tuesday at the worst.  Currently just 4 points separate the top 3.

I've got FIFA 96 (for the SNES) and it looks a lot more like the first screen than the second. No audio commentary either. Despite that it's probably the single FIFA game I've played more than any other, I was addicted to it as a child. The only one to battle it out (when it comes purely to nostalgia and what I loved at the time) would be World Cup 98.

The One Pointers

FIFA 96  latest?cb=20131216171400

hqdefault.jpg

to this

617x.jpg

• FIFA 97
  • FIFA RTWC 98
  • FIFA 98
  • FIFA 99
  • FIFA 08
  • FIFA 17

Its frank de boer on the cover...

Archived