50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe I forgot the original Silent Hill.  2 was probably the better game, and absolutely  nailed the story, but I remember playing the demo of the original, where you had the entire school level to play.  It was before the BBFC (I assume) had gotten a hold of it and changed the demon children to look less human, so it was truly, truly unsettling.  In an era where survival horror usually meant random jumpscares, Silent Hill was just...wrong.  It pitched the game at a creepy, unsettling level then just kept it there throughout rather than relying on the up and down of jump scares.  And the soundtrack helped with that, Akira Yamaoka did some great stuff, particularly the theme.

It's a pity the games turned to absolute shit post SH3.  PT showed that they could still make magic, but unlikely we'll ever see anything like that any more.

I never played ISS pro, but ISSD, I spent hours on that. I used to always try and do the rainbow heel flick over the head and volley. I also used to be able to score directly from corners in the top right corner.

Half Life was my #1 Phenomenal stuff. Somehow I've never fully played through the sequels, but that first game absolutely astounded me.

1 hour ago, Tamdunk said:

I never played ISS pro, but ISSD, I spent hours on that. I used to always try and do the rainbow heel flick over the head and volley. I also used to be able to score directly from corners in the top right corner.

Half Life was my #1 Phenomenal stuff. Somehow I've never fully played through the sequels, but that first game absolutely astounded me.

If you have an Xbox 360, pick up The Orange Box. Not only does it have Half Life 2, but it also has Half Life 2 Episodes 1 and 2 (continuation from Half Life 2). And it has Portal and Team Fortress 2. You get it for about £10 in most places, and it's well worth that for Half Life 2 alone.

22 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

If you have an Xbox 360, pick up The Orange Box. Not only does it have Half Life 2, but it also has Half Life 2 Episodes 1 and 2 (continuation from Half Life 2). And it has Portal and Team Fortress 2. You get it for about £10 in most places, and it's well worth that for Half Life 2 alone.

Yeah I got the orange box on PS3 & PC I've just never finished half life 2 for one reason or another lol. Portal I loved, the first playthrough I just saw it as a puzzle game and didn't think a huge amount of it, the second playthrough I got really immersed in it and it properly fucked with my head.

PIE AND BOVRIL - 50 GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME

=48 Place

Super Mario Brothers 3

Image result for super mario 3#

Another entry for our old Italian friend Mario, this time with the third installment in the Super Mario Brothers series and the fourth Mario game overall at this time.  Changes included the ability to fly for a short period of time and the introduction of a "World" view where you could select which zone you wanted to move to next as opposed to just getting sent there with no control.

Released on the NES system back in 1988 (Japan) this game came hot on the heels of Super Mario Brothers 2 as Nintendo cashed in on the popularity of the series.  Super Mario Brothers 3 sold 17 million copies worldwide and is the 3rd highest selling NES game of all times.

My own thoughts on the Super Mario 3 game is that it was simply an update on the original 2 games.  For some reason I don't remember Super Mario 2 but certainly remember having 3, perhaps they were just released all too close together for my parents to buy them all.  I think we got our NES around 1991 which came bundled with the original and then 3 was purchased further down the line. 

Super Mario 3 again received 17 points from the P+B hordes and was ranked as:

2 x 5th place

1 x 8th place

1 x 9th place

The Super Mario 3 poster still gives me nostalgic shivers. From first seeing it in The Wizard to basically hoping and praying on a daily basis that I'd get it for Christmas (which I did, along with Gremlins 2 for the NES).

In these days of Worldwide releases for most AAA games, it's unfathomable to imagine that a game with the scope and legacy of SMB3 had to wait 18 months for a North American conversion and yet another 18 months to be released in PAL regions....3 full years for a release from the Japanese version.

In my considered opinion, I always thought Super Mario World was the best of the early-generation Mario games - the game had evolved over its first few incarnations before reaching its peak with World.

It was never as good as Sonic the Hedgehog 2, right enough.

32 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

World was the best, then 3. How hard were Super Mario games back in the day btw?!

ETA, 2 was shite.

Weren't there two Super Mario Brothers 2s? Maybe you played the shite(r) one.

Super mario bros 50th?! I had it bundled as part of super mario allstars, still remember playing it christmas morning 94 or 95. Still never finished it but haven't tried in years.

I remember doing 2 player with my brother and one shotting the game to his dismay.

PIE AND BOVRIL - 50 GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME

=48 Place

Donkey Kong Country 

So this one I will need a little bit of help with from you all as I haven't actually ever played the game nor was I really a big fan of Donkey Kong (Sorry Cesc).  I do remember the SNES/Donkey Kong phenomenon though and it seemed like if you had a SNES then you HAD to have Donkey Kong Country.

Donkey Kong was originally an arcade game and similar to the original Mario Bros games in that the objective was to make your way up a number of platforms whilst avoiding the objects being thrown by the gorilla-type animal.  Donkey Kong Country though was a complete platform game where you made your way through the levels in a format similar to Mario, Sonic etc.  The object of the game is to recover Donkey's lost bananas from the enemy King K Rool.  A noble cause I'm sure you will agree.

Donkey Kong was very well received with positive reviews from most critics.  According to Wiki it is praised as being "the saviour of the SNES".  Donkey Kong Country sold over 9 million copies worldwide and received 17 points from P+B gamers.

Scoring was:

• 1 x 3rd place
  • 1 x 4th place
  • 1 x 9th place

22 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

ISS Pro was belter. First football game I played and I loved it

i always, ALWAYS played a 3-4-3 formation, with batistuta leading the front line, and overmars as my left wingback, the amount of crosses and goals from they two were unreal

god bless konami for bringing that game into my life, i actually upped my student account overdraft just to spunk it on a PS2 and a brand new telly for my room just for pro evo on it, thank you nat west for that also

Donkey Kong Country was a fantastic game, stunningly beautiful for it's time, brilliant music and genuinely funny as it wasn't afraid to poke fun at itself (as was Rare's sort of calling card back then) and it - along with Yoshi's Island - extended the life of the SNES as we entered the 32 bit era. It's also aged wonderfully which can't be said for many games of the time.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Donkey Kong Country was a fantastic game, stunningly beautiful for it's time, brilliant music and genuinely funny as it wasn't afraid to poke fun at itself (as was Rare's sort of calling card back then) and it - along with Yoshi's Island - extended the life of the SNES as we entered the 32 bit era. It's also aged wonderfully which can't be said for many games of the time.

if memory serves me right, it cost as much for DKC back then as it does for a new release title nowadays, it was a fantastic game but rare ripped the arse right out of the price

Archived