50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, GiGi said:

The fact that Dota 2, the world's greatest and most cash rich E-sport, remains free to play is yet another notch towards GOAT status on this list.

There's yer bite. 8)

GET.OUT.

7 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

PIE AND BOVRIL - 50 GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME

=50 Place

SHENMUE

Image result for shenmue

So my worst fears about running this list have been realised...........what if some of the games that pop up I have never heard of and have no clue about?  Well that has happened straight away.

I know nothing about Shenmue so I will ask the esteemed members of this forum to post some personal thoughts, here is what I've copied and pasted from Wiki:

Shenmue was an open world game that was created by Sega for their Dreamcast console (I'd love for some Dreamcast owners to come and talk about how good/bad it was - my memories are that it was quite a groundbreaking console for the time). My assumption based on the artwork is that it is a Japanese title or off the back of a previous Far East title.

From the Wiki page Shenmue sold over 1.2 million copies worldwide but is still classed as a commercial failure as it lost money overall.

Shenmue picked up 16 points in our poll.

Ah, Shenmue. A  game with possible the most boring of explanations of all - get up, go to work, drive a forklift round, go home again - and yet an absolute masterpiece. Great storyline, incredibly atmospheric thanks to the changing times and weather and amazing fight scenes thanks to the really good use of QTE. Pretty advanced for its day and one of the first proper open world games I can think of. It even had the added bonus of being able to play Hang on and Space Harrier as arcade games in the arcade.

The sequel wasnt bad either and the creator is currently crowdfunding a third. I have my doubts if it will ever see the light of day though :(

Take your DOTA2 and shove a well timed karate kick where the Japanese sun doesnt shine

Dreamcast was an amazing console. I only borrowed it as I was a PS fanboy but I was blown away by Shenmue and the Sonic game they had on it wasn't too shabby either.

Often though of purchasing one from eBay or the like and replaying a few of the games again.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Dreamcast was an amazing console. I only borrowed it as I was a PS fanboy but I was blown away by Shenmue and the Sonic game they had on it wasn't too shabby either.

Often though of purchasing one from eBay or the like and replaying a few of the games again.

It was. It had a small selection of ridiculously good games but nowhere near enough of a catalogue to compete with the other consoles.

Soul Calibur , Metropolis Street Racer, House of the Dead 2, Dead or Alive 2, Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter ... there really were some great games

Something that's probably worth mentioning at this early stage: emulators exist for all but the most recent legacy systems (PS3/Xbox360), which will allow you to play old games on your PC (or even your Playstations and Xboxes, I believe) and there are...ahem...sources through which you can download copies of games like Shenmue, which don't seem to be available to buy anymore (well, without buying used).

Google is your friend  ;)

Something that's probably worth mentioning at this early stage: emulators exist for all but the most recent legacy systems (PS3/Xbox360), which will allow you to play old games on your PC (or even your Playstations and Xboxes, I believe) and there are...ahem...sources through which you can download copies of games like Shenmue, which don't seem to be available to buy anymore (well, without buying used).

Google is your friend  [emoji6]

Unfortunately, dreamcast emulators aren't all that great, even on high spec pcs. I think it's something to do with the graphics engine. Shenmue will run but there's a lot of graphic clipping and other issues. Plus, without the controller a lot of the QTE stuff becomes really difficult.

Most people N64 emulators suffer from the same problems

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Dindy - how many people voted in the end?

Not too sure mate.  A lot.  I've deleted some of the earlier PMs now so a bit unsure on total numbers.  Got 288 games nominated so you must be looking at a minimum of 29 people.  With duplicates etc my guess is at least 40 people sent me nominations, possibly 50.

=50 Place

ISS Pro  

Image result for ISS Pro

Absolutely delighted that this has made it through to the Top 50 and I think that it is the only football game that made the top 50 (the reason I say think is that I've counted the list/scoring but tried to make an effort not to look at the names to keep it more interesting for me).

Iss PRO was one of my choices and I'm glad that a couple of others have agreed with me.  I think it would've been a travesty if none of the Pro Ev series had made the list as they gave us so many good games.  From ISS Pro right the way through to Pro Ev 5/6 were relatively speaking the greatest football games ever made.  The screenshot above gives me a semi to be honest.  Many hours were spent on this game by me and my best friend in school.  I actually think we saw 9/11 live because we were dogging the school to play ISS Pro - can't say that for definite but the amount of time wasted was unreal.

One of the best things about ISS Pro, compared to other games, was the addition of the player morale choices as per below.  This gave you some decisions as to whether to play your best players OR your happiest players.  If a player had a blue face then you would be concerned about picking him.

Image result for ISS Pro morale

Really just a glorious game and one that I am delighted has made the list.   ISS Pro - we salute you.

16 points for ISS Pro which was voted by you as:

• 1 x 2nd place
  • 1 x 4th place

=50 Place

Half Life

Image result for half life

Sadly I don't have too much to say about this game as I have never played it.    I do believe though that Half Life was a ground breaking game, from what I remember at the time, due to how it was laid out and the way you progress through the game.

According to Wikipedia Half Life sold over 8 million copies and won over 50 Game of the Year awards.

16 votes as well for Half Life with the voting being:

• 1 x 1st place
  • 1 x 5th place

Two more games level for 50th place.....here is the first one

=50 Place

Resident Evil 3

Image result for Resident Evil 3

I hope we are not seeing a trend here but its ANOTHER game that I don't know anything about.  I hope no-one expected me to know them all.   I played Resident Evil 1 & 2 but I kind of went off them by the time this came out.  In fact I was kind of fed up of Resi Evil by the time of the 2nd one.  

Originally released on the PS1 Resident Evil 3 was a prequel to Resi Evil 2 I believe.  Based on Wiki it was one of the earliest shoot-em-up games to really try to utlilize 3D graphics however it became a bit of a 2D/3D mix due to techinical issues.  Not really sure how this looked on the actual game maybe some of the people who nominated it can discuss this.

The game averaged around a 7/8 out of 10 from most of the usual sources (for the PS1 version) however not so well for the Dreamcast & GameCube versions.

Resident Evil 3 took 16 points of course and was voted as:

• 1 x 2nd place
  • 1 x 4th place

And here is the final top 50 game (we actually ended up with a top 54 due to how many were on even points)

=50 Place

Super Mario Brothers

Image result for super mario bros

Possibly the Daddy of computer games and maybe the reason we are all here.  The Italian Plumber helped to making gaming fashionable (and profitable too) following the crash of the late 80s and I think almost everyone here will have played this game at some point.

I was a staunch SEGA man back in the early days, mostly because I had a Master System whereas my sister had a NES and, as such, I didn't really get a chance to sample Mario straight away.  Sonic was my hero at that age and I didn't think Mario could compete...............how wrong was I.

I can almost remember the first time I got to the end of the first level and you got the wee castle with the stupid flag that would appear.  I remember thinking that if you could make the flag "ring" as it came up (or do something to the flag) you would get more points but I don't know if this was true or just in my own head.  I loved the special zones you would enter in the first Mario when you dropped down through the pipes.

Mario is probably the main reason why Nintendo are still in business over 30 years later and he has been the main character for so many of their games.  

Despite the associated film, which I still love, I don't think this will be the last time we discuss Mario on this list.

16 points as well for Mario, and the game has sold over 40 MILLION COPIES!!!

Mario was voted as:

• 1 x 1st Place
  • 1 x 5th Place

I'll be amazed if ISS Pro is the only football game in the top 50. No ChampMan/Football Manager, FIFA, Kick Off or Sensi? And that's before you consider this is a football forum!

Half-Life's still a fun game to play through, and laid the template for story-based first-person shooters, but you could come up with a number of FPS's that have superseded it. If anyone doesn't know, there's a new version available called Black Mesa, which gives the game a more modern sheen and apparently expands on the original level layout (making the dam level bigger, and that kind of thing). Still not quite finished though, by the looks of things.

I remember Resident Evil 3 being fun, but not quite as good as the first two games. That was the one with the big mutant dude who'd appear and f**k up your Christmas every so often while you were running about the levels. The whole tank control, fixed camera angles thing was really done by that point.

I'm possibly the only person in the world who hasn't found Mario, or Nintendo, remotely interesting since Donkey Kong, so this list will no doubt be full of their games  :P

Resident Evil 3 wasn't a shoot em up at all (unless played on easy). Class game. The ps1 version of Alien: Isolation in that Nemesis stalks you throughout the game and learns the way you work. Obviously not as advanced but an amazing game nonetheless.

Archived