50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the more classic games I've been surprised to only see once - for example Streets of Rage and Street Fighter. Mortal Kombat has only appeared a couple of times.

I'm going to do my list later. Reading the nominations from you lot has helped jog my memory but maybe even made my own choice harder.

Fallout 4 will definitely be on my list. It's the only Fallout I've played and is the only game in the current generation that will make my list I think. It is the best new game I've played in many a year. Not sure if it will be number 1 on my list.

Amiga- SWOS, Cannon Fodder, Secret of Monkey Island, CM 93/94

PS1- Brian Lara Cricket

PS2- Pro Evo 4, GTA Vice City

PS3- Red Dead Redemption, Skyrim

PS4- The Witcher 3

Was going to try and include a game from each system I've had but had to leave out C64, Master System, and PC.

The Amiga was just at the right time for me in my early teens and the reason I've gone for CM93/94 and SWOS is that they feel similar in that they were a breakthrough- in SWOS you could go Thistle, f**k you could go Hearts of Oak(Ghana) if you wanted, players had individual attributes and all the right competitions were there before pesky naming rights & licensing took over. CM 93/94 was similar in that it was the first to use real names, and while 98/99 would be the one I spent most time on (hiya Willie Howie), and 01/02 was probably the peak in terms of depth but not too much depth (the game now looks ludicrous to me, twitter reactions etc) 93/94 is the one where it all took off.

Suspect I'll be the only one to vote for BLC but the fact it's 17 years old and the only credible threat as best cricket game came out 2 years ago says a lot. Good fun.

I went through the 00s pretty much only playing sports games and the various GTAs so missed out on a lot, again V is probably the "best" GTA but Vice City was the most fun and the biggest leap at the time. Plus the soundtrack etc.

RDR might well be my favourite game of all time and I'm positively tumescent for RDR2 next year, Skyrim opened my mind to a new sort of game, and the Witcher 3 built on that, probably the best story writing in a game I've encountered.

1. Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt (PS4)
2. Devil May Cry 1 (PS2)
3. Shenmue 2 (Dreamcast)
4. Sonic Adventure 1 (Dreamcast)
5. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)
6. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PS3/Xbox 360)
7. Burnout 3: Takedown (PS2)
8. GTA 5 (PS4)
9. Bully (Canis Canem Edit) (PS2)
10. Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)

I like the Witcher 3 a lot but it doesn't make my top list. I find myself rushing to complete objectives and quests rather than just trying to enjoy the experience, where as Skyrim, while the quests in the main part were pretty boring, the overall experience I found a lot more enjoyable. A lot to do with the world map & music I think.

2 hours ago, banana said:

Frankly disgusted at the folk voting for Vice City over San Andreas :angry:

Not as disgusted as I am at people voting for V over it. And at people posting their lists in the thread rather than keeping it to PMs only, meaning we all have a good idea what games will be near the top and there's no suspense in the countdown.

In other news, I've never played Witcher 3. Going to have to buy it now due to this discussion.

Just now, Dunning1874 said:

Not as disgusted as I am at people voting for V over it. And at people posting their lists in the thread rather than keeping it to PMs only, meaning we all have a good idea what games will be near the top and there's no suspense in the countdown.

In other news, I've never played Witcher 3. Going to have to buy it now due to this discussion.

I found it difficult to pick a GTA, but went with V. It's quite simply a masterpiece.

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

GTA V made my list for the simple fact that I've only ever owned GTA IV and GTA V. The III trilogy was never part of my collection and I don't actually think I've ever picked up San Andreas.

Awww man i forgot about zelda on the snes cause im old and decrepit and my mind is going 

Might need to do new list lol, tell me when you're playing battlefield dindeleux and I'll pm you :lol: 

Every night from midnight onwards mate on XBL. Gamertag is: mechampyouchump

I found it difficult to pick a GTA, but went with V. It's quite simply a masterpiece.

GTA V made my list for the simple fact that I've only ever owned GTA IV and GTA V. The III trilogy was never part of my collection and I don't actually think I've ever picked up San Andreas.

I'm really struggling between 4,5 and San Andreas to be honest. Probably more likely to go with San Andreas because it was tied into gangsta rap type attitudes which I was into at the time.

Don't worry about those posting their lists, from what I can make out most haven't bothered with a message so their votes probably won't matter. Just scroll through the lists. I've had a LOT of entries from people who haven't even commented on here never mind put their list up.

I'm really struggling between 4,5 and San Andreas to be honest. Probably more likely to go with San Andreas because it was tied into gangsta rap type attitudes which I was into at the time.

Don't worry about those posting their lists, from what I can make out most haven't bothered with a message so their votes probably won't matter. Just scroll through the lists. I've had a LOT of entries from people who haven't even commented on here never mind put their list up.

I take it you got my PM? [emoji57]

San Andreas was the objectively better game but I still have a strong fondness for Vice City. Nostalgia and story purposes. I think I can recite the conversation between Tommy and Lance Vance Dance in the helicopter during the Phnom Penh 86 mission. "You ever fired one of those from a whirly?"

4 minutes ago, GingerSaint said:

San Andreas was the objectively better game but I still have a strong fondness for Vice City. Nostalgia and story purposes. I think I can recite the conversation between Tommy and Lance Vance Dance in the helicopter during the Phnom Penh 86 mission. "You ever fired one of those from a whirly?"

Vance? Your name's Lance Vance?!

Archived