50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

Golden axe was indeed class.

Fifa 99 for me was the best of the FIFAs. Always loved the glitch that when you shot from the half way line, you rapidly pressed start and 9 times out of 10 the ball would go through the keepers legs. N64 version anyway. The celebrations were class too.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FIFA 98 I think it was where you could punt the ball up from a goal kick to your striker, let it hit his chest then double tap shoot and they'd invariably batter an overhead kick in off the bar from about 40 yards out. Good times.

2 hours ago, The Saintee said:

Lots of happy memories about Golden Axe. 

Should be re-booted imo.

Golden Axe was the first game I ever completed in the arcade. Wee group standing around to see the ending and all that.

Good times. Shame arcades have been made redundant by the consoles.

Golden Axe has already had a reboot, which was unsurprisingly shit, apparently.

Other shit reboots that you might not have heard about include current P&B euphemisms Altered Beast and Shadow of the Beast.

Edit: I wish someone would reboot Beast Busters. Used to love that game. The Atari/Amiga conversions must have been done by a Scottish developer, as they were littered with pro-Celtic graffiti, which gives mowing down the hordes of zombies a whole new dimension since 2012  :P

Here's my top ten, if anyone cares. I'd have liked to include some 8 and 16-bit titles, but I couldn't bump any of these games for the likes of Gods or Splatterhouse, unfortunately.

1. Mass Effect - the original. That game engendered an incredible feeling of wonder when pimping about planets in the wee space rover, and the story, universe, and characters were completely engrossing. The others were great too, but I've never been engaged quite as much by any other game.
2. Doom (1993) - just, fucking, Doom. I doubt the youngsters will understand quite how much that game tapped directly into the mindless pleasure centre of the brain. It's sheer frantic fun when you go back to it now, but it was surprisingly unnerving twenty-odd years ago too.
3. FTL: Faster Than Light - the closest I think anyone's come to a game you could play forever without getting bored.
4. Plants vs Zombies - and this would be the second-closest. The gaming equivalent of crack cocaine.
5. Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines - tremendously vivid world and characters. Not even a comparatively poor final quarter and a final release that was a bug-strewn nightmare could ruin it. Still receiving excellent fan-made content after a decade.
6. XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012) - never played the original, but the remake is tremendously tense turn-based fun. Infuriating when the team of ultimate badasses that you've built up are massacred by some new alien horror, just as you were starting to think you'd got the hang of things.
7. System Shock 2 - took me three tries to get into this, after giving up very early on. Looked like absolute dugshite even fifteen years ago, and the engine handles like arse. Once you can get past that, it turns out to be the most tense FPS-RPG ever made.
8. The Witcher - haven't got around to playing the other two yet, but I loved this one. Not much of a fan of fantasy stuff, but the adventures of medieval James Bond pressed my happy buttons. Worth playing through the original release version, as the original dialogue is hilariously bad, and there are plenty of amusing bugs like disappearing helicopter cats.
9. Bioshock - the cut-down kiddy version of #7, but with an intriguing story and tremendously fun gameplay. Well, until the big reveal.
10. Fallout 3 - dumps you in the middle of a fascinating alternate universe and leaves you to explore. Absolute heaven for folk like me, who want to see everything, as there's wee details littered about all over the place. Lovely dark sense of humour as well.

I'm the type to obsess over 1 game then not play the console for 6 months so I've not actually played a lot of peoples top 10s. 

1. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

2. Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2

3. Shadow of the Colossus

4. Fifa 97 (if that's the one with the indoor mode, loved that)

5. Civilization V

6. Final Fantasy X

7. Super Mario Galaxy

8. Skyrim

9. Sonic & Knuckles

10. Tony Hawks 2

NBA Jam was indeed tremense. "He's on fire!" and dunks from anywhere on the court. Class.

Golden Axe is fucking awesome. I still play it quite regularly (have a Mega Drive compilation for the 360), usually when drunk. The dwarf, Gillius Thunderhead, was the best one to go, even though his magic was the weakest. The dude was the worst to go, as whilst the woman had the weakest mêlée, she had the best magic. I love the level where you can trick the skeletons in to running at you before moving out of the way and letting them fall off the edge. I mind the shock of beating who you thought was the boss and rescuing the king and queen only for them to 'ask' you to fight some more and you have to go through the door. This takes you to a solid level where all the jobbers are hard, there's a tough jump and some hard knights. Beat all them and you get to the true big bad, Death Bringer. He uses your own magic against you but more annoyingly has an unlimited supply of skeletons (always 2, so every time you kill one another fires along).

The mini levels where the wee b*****ds steal your magic and food and you have to batter them to get them back is still amusing.

19 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

NBA Jam was indeed tremense. "He's on fire!" and dunks from anywhere on the court. Class.

Golden Axe is fucking awesome. I still play it quite regularly (have a Mega Drive compilation for the 360), usually when drunk. The dwarf, Gillius Thunderhead, was the best one to go, even though his magic was the weakest. The dude was the worst to go, as whilst the woman had the weakest mêlée, she had the best magic. I love the level where you can trick the skeletons in to running at you before moving out of the way and letting them fall off the edge. I mind the shock of beating who you thought was the boss and rescuing the king and queen only for them to 'ask' you to fight some more and you have to go through the door. This takes you to a solid level where all the jobbers are hard, there's a tough jump and some hard knights. Beat all them and you get to the true big bad, Death Bringer. He uses your own magic against you but more annoyingly has an unlimited supply of skeletons (always 2, so every time you kill one another fires along).

The mini levels where the wee b*****ds steal your magic and food and you have to batter them to get them back is still amusing.

I didn't remember this bit at all, but I played it in the arcade and on the Atari ST. Apparently this Death Bringer bloke was only on the Mega Drive and PC versions for some reason.

Aye I only ever played it on the Mega Drive (and the 360, but it was the Mega Drive version).

I mind Golden Axe was on Mega Games 2, a cartridge that had 3 games. As mentioned before, Mega Games 1 had Columns, Football Italia 90 and Super Hang On. Mega Games 2 was Revenge of Shinobi, Golden Axe and Streets of Rage. There were other ones released near the end of the Mega Drive but can't mind what they were. They even bundled some of them together and had 6 games on the same cartridge.

The Mega Games cartridges were always dirt cheap for some reason. The first one was pants, but #2 included three of the best games made for the machine. Quite a steal when you could easily find it in the second-hand bins for a fiver.

Should have mentioned Mega Games 3. That was Super Thunder Blade, Alien Storm and Super Monaco GP. Super Thunder Blade was average, and pretty solid, but the other two were ace. Alien Storm was great with the different type of levels and general play. Super Monaco GP was great as well, but once you got successful (for some reason the second top team was always better to go than the top team) a new guy would challenge you and always win and was almost impossible to beat (in a challenge the winner swaps teams with the loser). Fair had me fuming a few times

1. Final Fantasy 7

2. Final Fantasy 8

3. Zelda : Ocarina of Time

4. Street Fighter 2 (arcade version)

5. Metal Slug (arcade version)

6. Last Of Us

7. Skyrim

8. Alien Isolation

9. Metal Gear Solid 

10. Half Life 2

Honourable mentions :

Dark Souls 

Shadow of the Collossus

Quake 2

Unreal Tournament 

Zelda - Link to the past

Goldeneye 

Gradius

I could go on and on...

As folk were mentioning FIFA bugs further up the page, FIFA 97 had one where you could stand in front of the opposition keeper when he was about to drop-kick the ball out, and about 75% of the time he'd hit your player and leave you through on an empty goal.

Naturally, not something I did very often  :whistle

11 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Is it the shoes?

9 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

As folk were mentioning FIFA bugs further up the page, FIFA 97 had one where you could stand in front of the opposition keeper when he was about to drop-kick the ball out, and about 75% of the time he'd hit your player and leave you through on an empty goal.

It's not FIFA, but reminds me of a football game that had a ridiculous gameplay mechanic.  Might get the name wrong, but "Manchester United Double Double" or something.  You could dribble up to the keeper one on one, and then every single time push back and watch the keeper dive helplessly where the ball used to be.  Then just run around him and score.  Looking back, pretty much every goal was me doing that.  I clearly didn't value fun then.

The best FIFA title was always FIFA International Soccer though.  Van Smeiter was the boy.  

It takes a bit more effort (well, as much effort as a video game can take), but I still manage to score goals just from standing in front of the 'keeper.

All votes are in and counted, I'm still not having the best time regarding internet at home so will start posting results a bit later today when I am at (section removed in case Grimbo or 8Magee are reading).

There are going to be a few surprises.

Archived