50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

PIE AND BOVRIL - 50 GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME

=48 Place

Donkey Kong Country 

So this one I will need a little bit of help with from you all as I haven't actually ever played the game nor was I really a big fan of Donkey Kong (Sorry Cesc).  I do remember the SNES/Donkey Kong phenomenon though and it seemed like if you had a SNES then you HAD to have Donkey Kong Country.

Donkey Kong was originally an arcade game and similar to the original Mario Bros games in that the objective was to make your way up a number of platforms whilst avoiding the objects being thrown by the gorilla-type animal.  Donkey Kong Country though was a complete platform game where you made your way through the levels in a format similar to Mario, Sonic etc.  The object of the game is to recover Donkey's lost bananas from the enemy King K Rool.  A noble cause I'm sure you will agree.

Donkey Kong was very well received with positive reviews from most critics.  According to Wiki it is praised as being "the saviour of the SNES".  Donkey Kong Country sold over 9 million copies worldwide and received 17 points from P+B gamers.

Scoring was:

• 1 x 3rd place
  • 1 x 4th place
  • 1 x 9th place

Donkey Kong Country is a great game. Similar idea to Mario but a lot quicker and based more on reactions and quick gameplay. I prefer the Donkey Kong Country games to the Mario Games but it's close.

Imo 1 and 2 are both great but 3 was the best. 3 suffered because it came out after the N64 was released so it didn't have the same impact as the first two did, which is a pity as it's a really really good game. One I still play regularly and despite completing it (with hidden levels, banana birds, bonus coins and everything) a few times it is still a challenge. What 3 had was perfect gameplay mechanics. I've never played a game as inch perfect as Donkey Kong Country 3.

Great game, great series.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

if memory serves me right, it cost as much for DKC back then as it does for a new release title nowadays, it was a fantastic game but rare ripped the arse right out of the price

Probably more expensive in fact. All games were the same back then. I remember Little Nemo for the NES  - an unremarkable enough game - being RRPed at £65. Bear in mind this would have been about 1991.

Electronics were undoubtedly a lot more expensive to mass produce then when compared to now and the move from cartridge based to disk based media has sort of frozen the prices in time. Even when taking inflation into account, some of the early-mid 90s Carts were probably the equivalent of £90-100 nowadays.

And that's before you even think about Neo Geo and their prices (£300-£400 for essentially a cart-based MAME ROM)

7 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

if memory serves me right, it cost as much for DKC back then as it does for a new release title nowadays, it was a fantastic game but rare ripped the arse right out of the price

SNES games used to cost up to £80 when they first came out, so maybe it was one of them. You wouldn't pay that for a new title now, never mind without a quarter of a century of inflation behind it.

With all the 'never played this one, guys', I'm looking forward to Dindeleux's final admission that he hasn't purchased a games machine since the Spectrum  :P

Edit: f**k you, chapsticks, with your superior typing skills  :angry:

9 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

SNES games used to cost up to £80 when they first came out, so maybe it was one of them. You wouldn't pay that for a new title now, never mind without a quarter of a century of inflation behind it.

With all the 'never played this one, guys', I'm looking forward to Dindeleux's final admission that he hasn't purchased a games machine since the Spectrum  :P

Edit: f**k you, chapsticks, with your superior typing skills  :angry:

I was a Master System, Mega Drive type of guy.  Played a NES and a SNES but they are not my main source of gaming education as you've seen.

=48 Place

Command & Conquer - Red Alert  Image result for command and conquer red alert

Yep you guessed it - haven't played it :( Hoping that no-one expected me to have played every game on this list.  

I actually had hoped that one of the earlier C&C games for the N64 had came up as the picture of the cartridge once again gives you that nostalgia trip.  However I can talk about Command and Conquer in general as they were very popular games and it seemed as if they released hundreds of different versions.

Command & Conquer was one of the earliest, and best, strategy type games.  The objective was, believe it or not, to command your various resources and artillery to conquer the opposition forces.  

I don't really think I got it at my young age but the whole process of building your base, assigning resources and looking to create an army to destroy the enemy was always interesting and probably helped to create my interest in games such as Civilisation that followed on (although a slightly different genre).

C&C Red Alert was one of the first ever online games on Console.  I wasn't aware of this but I read online that it came with 2 discs so you could give one to a friend and play against each other.  Not sure if that was 100% true so perhaps someone could confirm.

I don't have figures as to how many copies it sold but it also picked up 17 P+B points, placings were:

• 1 x 1st place
  • 1 x 7th place
  • 1 x 8th place

=48 Place

Pro Evolution Soccer 6

Image result for pro ev 6

Our next football game entry and it is no surprise to me that we've had 2 individual ISS/Pro Evs in the top 50 with the potential for more to come.  Pro Ev really was the pinnacle of football games on the Playstation/PS2 and from ISS Pro named earlier right through to the Pro Evolution games. They really were all fantastic and yes I have played this game!!!

I feel justified in splitting the various games up into individuals and not just lumping all ISS/Pro Ev games together.  If I did (and similar for FIFA) they would probably have been a top 5 which feels correct for the series but everyone had their own favourite games.  For me it was ISS Pro closely followed by Pro Ev 5 as opposed to this nomination but 6 was great.  My boy Adriano is showing his left foot power strike off which was something I utilized often whilst playing the game.

PES 6 also so the introduction of some classic Master League starting players including Minanda, Valeny, Castolo and Dodo leading the way in my estimations.

Its hard for me to put into words how good Pro Ev was back in the PS2 days.  If you lived through it and played it you are lucky.  If you missed it and/or only played FIFA then you have missed football at its console best.

Pro Ev 6 also took 17 points in our poll and was ranked by you as:

• 1 x 5th place
  • 2 x 7th place
  • 1 x 8th place

19 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

=48 Place

Yep you guessed it - haven't played it :( Hoping that no-one expected me to have played every game on this list.  

I actually had hoped that one of the earlier C&C games for the N64 had came up as the picture of the cartridge once again gives you that nostalgia trip.  However I can talk about Command and Conquer in general as they were very popular games and it seemed as if they released hundreds of different versions.

Command & Conquer was one of the earliest, and best, strategy type games.  The objective was, believe it or not, to command your various resources and artillery to conquer the opposition forces.  

I don't really think I got it at my young age but the whole process of building your base, assigning resources and looking to create an army to destroy the enemy was always interesting and probably helped to create my interest in games such as Civilisation that followed on (although a slightly different genre).

C&C Red Alert was one of the first ever online games on Console.  I wasn't aware of this but I read online that it came with 2 discs so you could give one to a friend and play against each other.  Not sure if that was 100% true so perhaps someone could confirm.

I don't have figures as to how many copies it sold but it also picked up 17 P+B points, placings were:

• 1 x 1st place
  • 1 x 7th place
  • 1 x 8th place

Boooo! Blatant Dune 2 rip off and nowhere near as good :angry:

What do people call the above game? Few family members who lost interest as the years go by refer to it as ISS. I tend to refer to it as Pro Evo but my mates (much to my disgust) call it PES (PEZ in terms of the pronunciation)

Great game perhaps bettered by PES 5 IMO (but I'm sure we'll see it on the list also). Went well downhill from here.

Maciej Zurawski on the cover of the PC version for some reason. :unsure:

Update-Pemain-Pes-6-Terbaru-2015.png

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

What do people call the above game? Few family members who lost interest as the years go by refer to it as ISS. I tend to refer to it as Pro Evo but my mates (much to my disgust) call it PES (PEZ in terms of the pronunciation)

Pro Evo or PES are both acceptable. ISS is horrific and completely wrong.

IIRC, Red Alert had two discs so you could play through the campaign as one side, then use the other disc to play as the other. Not sure about multiplayer, but that makes sense. I'm sure I remember another RTS doing that too...maybe Starcraft?

=41 Place

Rocket League   Image result for rocket league

The first entry to our list for a current-gen game and its a highly addictive one at that.

If you sat someone down in front of Rocket League for 5 mins and asked them to watch you playing it they probably wouldn't get it.  They would probably also wonder how this could be classed as a "current-gen" game as it looks so basic.  I remember the P&B thread relating to it being pages and pages long before I even ventured in for a look at it and I was amazed by how positive everyone was being about it.

Once you get hold of the game and start to play you immediately just become immersed in it.  The first few games seem to be just about finding your feet but once you get the first goal, or run with the ball, or great jumping block it gives you a kind of feeling and satisfaction that I personally haven't experienced in games for a long time.  There is a real fun element too it and its just a great game to play.  My guess is that a lot of non-football fans would've tried this game expecting to hate it and then before they know it be totally addicted.

Rocket League was on a weekends free play earlier this year and the hours I spent on it across that weekend was incredible.  Its just a great, fun, easy game and that is really the aim of gaming in general I suppose hence why it is so popular.

Rocket League was scored above Pro Ev, Mario, Sonic and is joint 41st place on our poll scoring 18 points.

Scoring was:

• 1 x 2nd place
  • 2 x 7th place
  • 1 x 10th place

4 minutes ago, GingerSaint said:

Pro Evo or PES are both acceptable. ISS is horrific and completely wrong.

Wrong and it depends on your age. 

It was called ISS for as long as I remember and it took a while for people to move onto Pro Ev.  The original ISS (International Superstar Soccer) didn't have club teams.  Pro Ev came later.

PES is shite.

2 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

=41 Place

Rocket League  

The first entry to our list for a current-gen game and its a highly addictive one at that.

If you sat someone down in front of Rocket League for 5 mins and asked them to watch you playing it they probably wouldn't get it.  They would probably also wonder how this could be classed as a "current-gen" game as it looks so basic.  I remember the P&B thread relating to it being pages and pages long before I even ventured in for a look at it and I was amazed by how positive everyone was being about it.

Once you get hold of the game and start to play you immediately just become immersed in it.  The first few games seem to be just about finding your feet but once you get the first goal, or run with the ball, or great jumping block it gives you a kind of feeling and satisfaction that I personally haven't experienced in games for a long time.  There is a real fun element too it and its just a great game to play.  My guess is that a lot of non-football fans would've tried this game expecting to hate it and then before they know it be totally addicted.

Rocket League was on a weekends free play earlier this year and the hours I spent on it across that weekend was incredible.  Its just a great, fun, easy game and that is really the aim of gaming in general I suppose hence why it is so popular.

Rocket League was scored above Pro Ev, Mario, Sonic and is joint 41st place on our poll scoring 18 points.

Scoring was:

• 1 x 2nd place
  • 2 x 7th place
  • 1 x 10th place

Simple premise, easy to play and difficult to master. This was in my top 10 because its one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played. Like you said, so satisfying when you make that perfect contact and the ball flies in (or you make an epic save in OT).

28 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

=48 Place

• 1 x 1st place
  • 1 x 7th place
  • 1 x 8th place

6 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

IIRC, Red Alert had two discs so you could play through the campaign as one side, then use the other disc to play as the other. Not sure about multiplayer, but that makes sense. I'm sure I remember another RTS doing that too...maybe Starcraft?

Yup, one disc for the Allied missions and another for the Soviet missions. And yes, you could play against a friend if you had the cable to link up the two Playstations. Me and some friends did this a lot. You could also play with your friend against computer controlled armies

3 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

It was called ISS for as long as I remember and it took a while for people to move onto Pro Ev.  The original ISS (International Superstar Soccer) didn't have club teams.  Pro Ev came later.

PES is shite.

Definitely has progressed from ISS to Pro Evo to PES over time. Personally, I use Pro Evo (I thought ISS was a completely different game back in the day).

You are still wrong.

8 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

PES is shite.

ISS and PES are two completely different game series though, despite being made by the same company. Anyone calling it ISS is definitely wrong.

There was a short lived series called ISS Pro which was probably the bridge between the two games but ISS games were still being released at the same time as PES games for a year or two and had distinctively different game mechanics.

A bit like Megaman and Megaman X

=41 Place

Street Fighter 2   Image result for street fighter 2

HADOUKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tying in 41st place with Rocket League is the brilliant Street Fighter 2.  

For some reason I can't really remember the original Street Fighter game, believe it was an arcade game only but possibly on the NES?  The 2nd one though I do remember and I think everyone has played this game at some point of their life.

The characters of Street Fighter 2 included:

• Ryu
  • Ken
  • Blanka
  • Dhalsim

However my favorite, and I'm outing myself as a mid-90s noob, was E-Honda the Japanese Sumo wrestler and his very fast chop.  This was, at that age, almost unbeatable and I took great pleasure in destroying anyone who decided to take on the might of the Orient.

The bonus level as given on Wiki is smashing up bricks or oil barrels but as far as I knew it was destroying a car.  Regardless this game was epic and was one of the early great multiplayers.

I'm not sure if we will see a Mortal Kombat or Tekken in our top 50 so what do you think?  Is Street Fighter 2 the greatest fighting game of its type ever?

Street Fighter 2 also scored 18 points and was ranked as:

• 1 x 4th place
  • 2 x 7th place

11 minutes ago, GingerSaint said:

Definitely has progressed from ISS to Pro Evo to PES over time. Personally, I use Pro Evo (I thought ISS was a completely different game back in the day).

You are still wrong.

Its the same game.  I am right.

Whilst I am here can I ask if anyone else ever had this football game?  For early 90s and Mega Drive it was very good and, until now, I always thought it was a Konami make as the gameplay seemed similar to ISS.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Club_Soccer

Archived