50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

7 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

PIE AND BOVRIL - 50 GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME

=41 Place

Street Fighter 2   Image result for street fighter 2

HADOUKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tying in 41st place with Rocket League is the brilliant Street Fighter 2.  

For some reason I can't really remember the original Street Fighter game, believe it was an arcade game only but possibly on the NES?  The 2nd one though I do remember and I think everyone has played this game at some point of their life.

The characters of Street Fighter 2 included:

• Ryu
  • Ken
  • Blanka
  • Dhalsim

However my favorite, and I'm outing myself as a mid-90s noob, was E-Honda the Japanese Sumo wrestler and his very fast chop.  This was, at that age, almost unbeatable and I took great pleasure in destroying anyone who decided to take on the might of the Orient.

The bonus level as given on Wiki is smashing up bricks or oil barrels but as far as I knew it was destroying a car.  Regardless this game was epic and was one of the early great multiplayers.

I'm not sure if we will see a Mortal Kombat or Tekken in our top 50 so what do you think?  Is Street Fighter 2 the greatest fighting game of its type ever?

The 'E' in 'E-Honda' stood for 'Eric' (the 'M' in 'M Bison' stood for 'Mike'). Cheats with a turbo pad could just turn the turbo on and hold down a single button to get big Eric chopping away. Same with Chun Li. Smashing up the car was the first bonus level. Battering the barrels (they dropped in from above on a conveyor belt from either side) or smashing up the brick pile was the second one and was near the end (I think after you beat Balrog).

I was a Guile man mostly, although liked Ken as well. Zangief was the worst.

4 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Its the same game.  I am right.

Whilst I am here can I ask if anyone else ever had this football game?  For early 90s and Mega Drive it was very good and, until now, I always thought it was a Konami make as the gameplay seemed similar to ISS.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Club_Soccer

Yes! I had this. Very hard to start with but really good once you got in to it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dindeleux said:

You are the only other person in the world who has ever owned this game with me.

I don't even remember where I got it from. Must have been a swap or lend with a friend at school.

Talking of swaps, I once swapped the dismal Revolt (remote control car racing game) for Gran Turismo. This was a permanent swap. The guy I swapped with was known as 'Retard Ronnie'.

Donkey Kong Country was a fantastic game, stunningly beautiful for it's time, brilliant music and genuinely funny as it wasn't afraid to poke fun at itself (as was Rare's sort of calling card back then) and it - along with Yoshi's Island - extended the life of the SNES as we entered the 32 bit era. It's also aged wonderfully which can't be said for many games of the time.

Many of the later sprite-based games still look fantastic today. The same cannot be said of most early 3D games.

I was talking about European Club Soccer earlier in this thread. Absolutely loved it. Was the second game I got for my Mega Drive!

The original Street Fighter was an arcade game with big buttons that you hit; the harder you hit them, the harder your character's strike was. Naturally, the cabinets didn't last long, and there were plenty of broken knuckles. The game was pretty mediocre, despite being very similar to the sequel - it was just poorer in every way. You could play as Ryu or Ken, and I think Sagat was the big baddie, but none of the other characters carried over to SFII.

Street Fighter got ported to just about every machine of the time, with plenty of them being hilariously bad. Some didn't even include the special moves out of sheer laziness. The company that did the home computer conversions made another game using the same engine that they'd hoped to persuade Capcom to release as Street Fighter 2, but Capcom passed as it was irredeemably shit. They released it as Human Killing Machine, which used to regularly top Worst Game lists on the Amiga. The finished release included corrupted sprites, so you'd end up fighting crazy clouds of pixels  :lol:

Capcom had their own ideas for a sequel, planning a game called Street Fighter '89, before deciding to take the sequel in a different (or, similar) direction with Street Fighter 2. Street Fighter '89 ended up being released as Final Fight. You might remember seeing Cody from Final Fight in the attract sequence for Street Fighter 2 as a nod to the link between the games.

3 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

The original Street Fighter was an arcade game with big buttons that you hit; the harder you hit them, the harder your character's strike was. Naturally, the cabinets didn't last long, and there were plenty of broken knuckles. The game was pretty mediocre, despite being very similar to the sequel - it was just poorer in every way. You could play as Ryu or Ken, and I think Sagat was the big baddie, but none of the other characters carried over to SFII.

Street Fighter got ported to just about every machine of the time, with plenty of them being hilariously bad. Some didn't even include the special moves out of sheer laziness. The company that did the home computer conversions made another game using the same engine that they'd hoped to persuade Capcom to release as Street Fighter 2, but Capcom passed as it was irredeemably shit. They released it as Human Killing Machine, which used to regularly top Worst Game lists on the Amiga. The finished release included corrupted sprites, so you'd end up fighting crazy clouds of pixels  :lol:

Capcom had their own ideas for a sequel, planning a game called Street Fighter '89, before deciding to take the sequel in a different (or, similar) direction with Street Fighter 2. Street Fighter '89 ended up being released as Final Fight. You might remember seeing Cody from Final Fight in the attract sequence for Street Fighter 2 as a nod to the link between the games.

I always love Kick and Run in the arcade, as it had pedals for the kicking part

13 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Many of the later sprite-based games still look fantastic today. The same cannot be said of most early 3D games.

I used to despair of the games industry when they switched to 3D - it was a huge drop in visual quality purely to chase the latest technology. The Playstation-era stuff looked like shite even then. Necessary with the benefit of hindsight, of course. Thankfully we get sensational-looking 3D and 2D games these days.

12 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I was talking about European Club Soccer earlier in this thread. Absolutely loved it. Was the second game I got for my Mega Drive!

Its prequel, Manchester United Europe, was a decent football game for the time. I got it for free in a compilation with World Championship Boxing Manager and Jahangir Khan Squash as a bonus for buying some other game. The fact that I can't remember the other game says a lot about which got the least plays  :P

Might need to give ECS a try, if it's like MUE but with a choice of teams.

30 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The 'E' in 'E-Honda' stood for 'Eric' (the 'M' in 'M Bison' stood for 'Mike'). Cheats with a turbo pad could just turn the turbo on and hold down a single button to get big Eric chopping away. Same with Chun Li. Smashing up the car was the first bonus level. Battering the barrels (they dropped in from above on a conveyor belt from either side) or smashing up the brick pile was the second one and was near the end (I think after you beat Balrog).

I was a Guile man mostly, although liked Ken as well. Zangief was the worst.

Yes! I had this. Very hard to start with but really good once you got in to it.

it was actually edmund honda, and the mike bison was just a first draft and dropped because it sounded too much like mike tyson for the north american release so was never officially given that title, he's just M.Bison

Didn't Vega have a different name in Japan too? I think Sagat was the only one of the bosses to keep his original name, due to already being in the prequel.

22 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Speaking of fighting games what was the early era Ps1 game where you could change into an animal as soon as you'd powered up called again?

Was it actually on the PS1?

Nobody mention a certain side-scrolling Sega beat-em-up arcade game - I sense a trap  ;)

15 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Didn't Vega have a different name in Japan too? I think Sagat was the only one of the bosses to keep his original name, due to already being in the prequel.

think so cause vega was the name for bison in japan if memory serves me right, they gave the spanish fighter with the claw the name vega in the PAL/NTSC versions as it suited him more

1 hour ago, Dindeleux said:

Street Fighter 2   Image result for street fighter 2

HADOUKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tying in 41st place with Rocket League is the brilliant Street Fighter 2.  

For some reason I can't really remember the original Street Fighter game, believe it was an arcade game only but possibly on the NES?  The 2nd one though I do remember and I think everyone has played this game at some point of their life.

The characters of Street Fighter 2 included:

• Ryu
  • Ken
  • Blanka
  • Dhalsim

Unsurprisingly if you've seen my avatar on here for the last 8 years you'll know SSF II was high on my list. Sonic the Hedgehog and Ken Masters were my favourite game characters of the early to mid 90s as a young boy. 

Pro Evo 6 is definitely my favourite out of the whole series and my favourite non FM football game.

Despite having a PS4 me and my mate still meet up regularly to play Pro Evo 6 on the PS2.

I can still remember me very first game of it I played. One of the guys at Uni who fancied himself as a brilliant player (in fairness he was really good) invited a few of us round and told us it'd take a while to get used to it. We played a game of Random Selection using the English Premier league and I won 3-2 courtesy of a Jason Euell hat trick! The random selection matches were fantastic. Nothing like beating somebody who had a team full of Ronaldos or the like with your team of huddies

Archived