50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snake Eater is definitely my favourite, only one of the series that made it onto my top 10. And probably the best theme tune to any game ever. It's like all the best James Bond tracks rolled into one.

5 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

PIE AND BOVRIL - 50 GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME

=39 Place

Timesplitters 2 

So after a wee run where I had played a few games I'm now back in the dark zone where I have zero experience of this game.  I don't even know what genre this game is as I had genuinely never heard of it until it appeared on a few peoples lists.  Must be a good game though to have ranked above our list so far and the other 200 games that didn't make the top 50.

Timesplitters 2 was published by Eidos Games back in 2002 for the Playstation 2.   The game features a single-player mode consisting of ten levels in which the player assumes the role of one of two space marines as they attempt to stop the alien race of TimeSplitters from ruining history by collecting the time crystals in various time periods, ranging from the Wild West to the 25th century.

It is, quite surprisingly the sequel to Timesplitters :) .

The game was very very well received by critics and scored around 9/10 from most reviewers. 

Please can some of those who voted come and talk about this game as I know nothing.  Timesplitters 2 picked up 19 points which was broken down as:

• 1 x 3rd place
  • 1 x 5th place
  • 1 x 6th place

Used to spend hours playing Timesplitters with my mates.  There was some superb multiplayer game modes - Virus being my favourite.  The first game also had Flame Tag which was even more fun - basically tig but with flames to identify who was it!

Timesplitters Future Perfect was a great game as well.  Can always remember I never completed one of the levels on the hardest difficulty as there was an insane sniping bit at the end where you had to snipe invisible monsters.  Getting wound up just thinking about it :lol:

If someone has the time after this, they should do a top ten games of all time based on genre

Dindeleux has and still is doing a great job of this, but from the various posts there are clearly too many games to choose from and many people miss games that they wish they had remembered 

Maybe some kind of bracket?  Might be a bit American, but get 8 games for a few genres then join the winners up at the end.  Doesn't really mean you get the "best" game at the end given it's just "is x better than y", but something different.

Theme Hospital must be one of the most re-released games ever. Before digital downloads killed that market off, it seemed to be the law that anywhere selling PC games had to have a copy of it somewhere.

Great game, though. A straight remake would be great, with minimal changes other than higher resolution to see more on-screen at once. Presumably it would be released by EA, though, so each level would take days to complete without microtransactions to speed up building new rooms  <_<

29 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Theme Hospital must be one of the most re-released games ever. Before digital downloads killed that market off, it seemed to be the law that anywhere selling PC games had to have a copy of it somewhere.

Great game, though. A straight remake would be great, with minimal changes other than higher resolution to see more on-screen at once. Presumably it would be released by EA, though, so each level would take days to complete without microtransactions to speed up building new rooms  <_<

Bullfrog made some great games. Theme Hospital, Theme Park, Dungeon Keeper and Populous were all classics. My favourite was Syndicate though. I put that on my list as it's the first game I remember cancelling other plans for so I could stay in and play it.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

Bullfrog made some great games. Theme Hospital, Theme Park, Dungeon Keeper and Populous were all classics. My favourite was Syndicate though. I put that on my list as it's the first game I remember cancelling other plans for so I could stay in and play it.

Syndicate's been on my to-do list for twenty years. Both GOG and Origin have given it to me for free in recent times, so I've no excuse.

5 hours ago, Cerberus said:

No mention of Black and White or Total Annihilation?

Damn how did i forget that. We got our first family computer this was bundled in along with Blade runner and Fallout 1. Took me about 5 years to realise there were 2 disks and there was a campaign mode. Really addictive, got quite difficult too.

Snake Eater is definitely my favourite, only one of the series that made it onto my top 10. And probably the best theme tune to any game ever. It's like all the best James Bond tracks rolled into one.

Archived