Celtic January exit thread

It's not fair to say they buy up young players with no intention of playing them just so no one else can.

It is however fair to say there's a problem in world football not just Scotland with the biggest clubs stockpiling young players and ultimately 90%

Chelsea had something like 30 players out on loan last season, plus the 30 man first team squad. That's before you include the fully stacked youth sides.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nonsense, even notwithstanding your use of the word 'literally'. Stuart Armstrong plays for Celtic because he has proven himself good enough to play for Celtic. Scott Brown ditto. Leigh Griffiths ditto, at least until a better player unseated him. The likes of Mackay-Steven, Scott Allan and Nadir Ciftci have had chances and blown them. 

ETA - And it occurs to me that Mackay-Steven may get further chances once Roberts leaves. 

^^^ Essentially this. The idea that Celtic paid United a reported £1.5m for Ciftci just to "stifle" competition is just daft. They presumably brought him in in the hope that he could make a similar impact to the side as Armstrong (eventually) has under Rodgers however he's proven not to be good enough. That's why he's sat on the sidelines not because of some elaborate Machiavellian plan on Celtic's part. They took a punt on him in the hope that they'd make a profit on him, because that's what Celtic's business model is and fair fucks to them.

Ryan Christie is reported to have cost Celtic as much as Dembele one has taken his chance and made an impact, the other hasn't. C'est la vie.

^^^ Essentially this. The idea that Celtic paid United a reported £1.5m for Ciftci just to "stifle" competition is just daft. They presumably brought him in in the hope that he could make a similar impact to the side as Armstrong (eventually) has under Rodgers however he's proven not to be good enough. That's why he's sat on the sidelines not because of some elaborate Machiavellian plan on Celtic's part. They took a punt on him in the hope that they'd make a profit on him, because that's what Celtic's business model is and fair fucks to them.

Ryan Christie is reported to have cost Celtic as much as Dembele one has taken his chance and made an impact, the other hasn't. C'est la vie.

Fair points, but by all accounts Christie has played well for Celtic. Why did they sign him when they had Commons, Rogic, Armstrong all ahead of him centrally?

It was to prevent anyone else signing him later on. This is what they do, sometimes, as they can afford to gamble with ~£1m fees.

Fair points, but by all accounts Christie has played well for Celtic. Why did they sign him when they had Commons, Rogic, Armstrong all ahead of him centrally?

It was to prevent anyone else signing him later on. This is what they do, sometimes, as they can afford to gamble with ~£1m fees.

Personally I'd say it was more down to poor recruitment policy under Delia than anything. They seemed to veer into the "Scottish based & home grown" market and just ended up with a bloated, imbalanced squad. The intention seemed to be to sign decent enough players in the hope they'd develop under the right manager they ended up with players who in actuality are simply just decent players. For me that was more down to poor management and recruitment than any real desire to stifle competition.

Equally, I suppose Commons is on his road out, I'm pretty sure they'd consider moving Rogic on if an EPL side came along and offered a decent fee so maybe I'm being a bit unfair in that respect re: Christie. Either way I genuinely doubt that Celtic's primary motivation in signing him was to undermine ICT, rather it was in the hope they could profit further down the line either by selling him on or simply him contributing to a side that will win the league.

Edit: the only recent instance where I'd say Celtic have genuinely signed a player just because they could and to stop another team getting him is Scott Allan and even then it fitted in with the profile of player they seemed to be recruiting Armstrong, GMS, Christie et al.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Are you seriously suggesting Celtic set aside a million pound of our transfer budget purely to sign someone to prevent others from signing him?

12 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Because your club doesn't 'develop' promising Scottish players, you buy them and leave them to rot in the under 23s.

I think it works both ways if you look at the players that have been at Celtic and now still playing in Scotland?Marcus fraser and Michael gardyne both started at Celtic,Mcginn at Aberdeen O'dea at Dundee and plenty more?

The problems not with the players Celtic bring through themselves, it's the players they sign from elsewhere who then just get dumped in the stands for "not being good enough" that annoys folk.

What do you suggest they do differently? Just play players regardless of whether they are good enough or not.

Our clubs will sign players from the Dumbartons, QOS etc and do exactly the same - if a player is good enough he will play.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Can hardly count Mulgrew either considering they released him, before resigning him after he'd improved at Aberdeen.

The problems not with the players Celtic bring through themselves, it's the players they sign from elsewhere who then just get dumped in the stands for "not being good enough" that annoys folk.

That also works both ways your club had the benefit of the loan market with the bhoy fisher? 

Are you seriously suggesting Celtic set aside a million pound of our transfer budget purely to sign someone to prevent others from signing him?

No.

That also works both ways your club had the benefit of the loan market with the bhoy fisher? 

What?

Anyway, Fisher was absolutely awful when he first signed, had zero positional sense. He seemed to learn more at us than he did at Celtic

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

No.

What?

Anyway, Fisher was absolutely awful when he first signed, had zero positional sense. He seemed to learn more at us than he did at Celtic

so he was not good enough for Celtic and st johnstone, think Chris millar started at Celtic or maybe your still pissed at O'halloran not getting a game i think the only player that backs up your point was Derek riordan

so he was not good enough for Celtic and st johnstone, think Chris millar started at Celtic or maybe your still pissed at O'halloran not getting a game i think the only player that backs up your point was Derek riordan

Why are you quoting players who came through Celtic ranks, never played a game and then left? My point was about the youngsters they signed from elsewhere

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why are you quoting players who came through Celtic ranks, never played a game and then left? My point was about the youngsters they signed from elsewhere

You haven't named any?i have named one Derek riordan wasted talent one out of ten years?

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

You haven't named any?i have named one Derek riordan wasted talent one out of ten years?

Even then Riordan was the single biggest factor himself in that talent being wasted. Absolute moon unit of a laddie along with Gary Jos.

Well yeah, but he never played a single game for you in that first spell, so I've no idea how you can claim credit for developing a 20yo who never played a game for you really.

He was a pro with us for nearly 4 years,before that he came through our youth system. We sent him out on loan,he got international youth exposure before being used as an asset in a deal.But we didn't develop him?

He had enough positional sense to play for us in Europe before he went to Perth,but cheers for developing him in that one season and forgetting the previous years building up to that.

He had enough positional sense to play for us in Europe before he went to Perth,but cheers for developing him in that one season and forgetting the previous years building up to that.

The point was Celtic stockpile youngsters and don't play them. Mulgrew is a great example of that, loaned out or on your bench until he's sold.

Fisher is too, botch games here and there. He was embarrassingly underdeveloped for his age when he joined us. Work around it all you want but I'll have seen him far more than you, half the time he was running into the centre of midfield closing players down.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The point was Celtic stockpile youngsters and don't play them. Mulgrew is a great example of that, loaned out or on your bench until he's sold.

Fisher is too, botch games here and there. He was embarrassingly underdeveloped for his age when he joined us. Work around it all you want but I'll have seen him far more than you, half the time he was running into the centre of midfield closing players down.

You are making no sense Mulgrew came through your youth system deemed not good enough not a player that we signed?Fisher when he got a game at Celtic played at right back?

Archived