Chapecoense (Brazil) in plane crash

GordonD

Surprised there wasn't a minutes silence before the Liverpool game tonight.

You can't complain about that.

It's a pretty big footballing tragedy. The Liverpool captain is Brazilian, of course they had a minute's silence.

Yes teams and clubs go too far these day but not in this case.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, throbber said:

The PSG story has now been confirmed as bullshit.

3 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Cristiano Ronaldo has decided to donate €3 million to Chapecoense and families of the players who died.

Reckon it could be another social media bullshit story much like the psg one

even the story about their opponents asking for the trophy to be awarded to them i have only seen come up on stuff like the sport bible, so i will be calling that as bullshit until more reputable sources start reporting things. People will literally believe anything they read on the internet.

even the story about their opponents asking for the trophy to be awarded to them i have only seen come up on stuff like the sport bible, so i will be calling that as bullshit until more reputable sources start reporting things. People will literally believe anything they read on the internet.

The club they were playing have already confirmed that they haven't made an official request for this to happen, but they are considering it.

11 minutes ago, port-ton said:

5 minutes ago, Aidan said:

The club they were playing have already confirmed that they haven't made an official request for this to happen, but they are considering it.

http://www.atlnacional.com.co/ultimas-noticias/campeon-de-la-sudamericana-015298

Translation of the very first line is that they've requested to CONMEBOL that the title be awarded to Chapecoense.

http://www.atlnacional.com.co/ultimas-noticias/campeon-de-la-sudamericana-015298

Translation of the very first line is that they've requested to CONMEBOL that the title be awarded to Chapecoense.

Ahh right fair enough, I was going by something I'd read on the BBC earlier, something along the lines of the players asking for the tie to be forfeited but the club hadn't made an official request at that point.

Individual players donating varying amounts to them I can find plausible. Can also believe that their opponents would request that the trophy be awarded to Chapecoense. No idea where on earth PSG donating 40 million euro's would come from?!

Could also see a few "common sense" bending of the rules taking place to help them rebuild over the next few years. I'm not entirely sure when the Brazilian leagues run from/to but there's absolutely no way I can see them being punished for being unable to fulfil fixtures or anything like that.

Absolutely tragic story.

10 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Individual players donating varying amounts to them I can find plausible. Can also believe that their opponents would request that the trophy be awarded to Chapecoense. No idea where on earth PSG donating 40 million euro's would come from?!

Could also see a few "common sense" bending of the rules taking place to help them rebuild over the next few years. I'm not entirely sure when the Brazilian leagues run from/to but there's absolutely no way I can see them being punished for being unable to fulfil fixtures or anything like that.

Absolutely tragic story.

Several clubs have offered free loan players and have also requested to the Brazilian FA that Chapecoense be safe from relegation for the next three seasons. 

http://www.saopaulofc.net/noticias/noticias/sao-paulo-fc/2016/11/29/nota-oficial-clubes-anunciam-medidas-solidarias-a-chapecoenseChapecoense

/

The Ronaldo story pops up everytime there's a major tragedy.

Basically someone starts the rumour, it's confirmed as a load of shite then loads of arseholes condemn him for not donating and post pictures of him buying stuff, packed with angry emojis and way too many exclamation marks.

Fucktards.

Utterly heartbreaking situation.

Regarding a couple of posts above: Brazilian football runs January-December and so their only outstanding games were the 2 legs of the Copa Sudamericana final this midweek and next, and the last league game of the season a week on Sunday which is a dead-rubber other than for league positions (Chapecoense are guaranteed to qualify for next season's Copa Sudamericana and Atletico Mineiro are guaranteed to qualify for the preliminaries of the Copa Libertadores).

Their opponents in the Copa Sudamericana final, Atletico Nacional of Colombia, had already qualified for next season's Copa Libertadores as title holders and for next season's Copa Sudamericana through the league. (In South America their equivalents of CL & EL run in the first half and second half of the season respectively and some clubs enter both). So their gracious gesture of offering to concede the Copa Sudamericana doesn't affect other competitions other than:

(1) I don't think the Copa Sudamericana runner-up qualifies for the Copa Libertadores if the winner has already qualified domestically or as holders, so it would mean Chapecoense qualifying for CL whereas they wouldn't have if they'd lost the CS final. In the circumstances I suspect everyone would think that entirely reasonable, assuming they can rebuild the team.

(2) had Atletico Nacional won the Copa Sudamericana then CS runners-up Chapecoense would have played-off with CL runners-up Independiente de Valle of Ecuador for the right to face Atletico Nacional in the Recopa Sudamericana (their equivalent of the UEFA Supercup). If they are allowed to concede then Chapecoense will qualify directly.

(3) the winner of the Copa Sudamericana plays the winner of the Japanese League Cup, Urawa Red Diamonds, in the Japanese-South American Supercup.

Brazilian domestic football runs almost all year, but with state leagues January-May and national league May-December.

Ronaldinho has offered to sign for the club in order to help the club fulfil fixtures, as has Juan-Roman Riquelme. Initially thought it to be another bullshit story, but Ronaldinho's brother and agent, has confirmed the story to several media outlets.

Archived