Jingoistic Tokenism

The_Kincardine

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the official position of the St Andrews holiday:

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/People/standrewsdaybill

The St Andrew's Day Holiday (Scotland) Bill was approved by Parliament on Wednesday November 29, 2006.

Its aim is to promote St Andrew's Day on November 30 as a national celebration of Scottish identity and culture across the whole of Scotland.

What the Bill does not do

• It does not automatically create an additional day off work or school
  • It does not oblige employers to change their existing pattern of holidays
  • It does not add to the total number of designated local holidays in any year

What the Bill does do

• The Bill added a date - November 30, or the following Monday should November 30 fall on a weekend - to the schedule of bank holidays in Scotland
  • It provided the legal framework in which the St Andrew's Day bank holiday could be substituted for an existing local holiday from another date in the year
  • It gives employers the discretion to choose St Andrew's Day as an alternative option, replacing a holiday taken at another time
  • Each organisation and company is free to take its own decision about what to do. Whether you decide to have a holiday, or not to, or to replace an existing one. A decision is not bound in any way by the legislation

Ministers are keen to encourage employers to consider the possibility of a St Andrew's Day holiday on November 30. The Scottish Government has made St Andrew's Day a holiday for all Scottish Government staff and thereby leads by example.

Of course there are a pair of variations between Scotland and England & Wales... they in their Anglicanism take Easter Monday, we in our Presbyterianism do not and now take January 2nd instead. Also we take the end of August whereas they take the start of August (this may have its origins in the harvest?).

NI has 2 more public holidays than England & Wales or Scotland - St Patricks Day and 'the Twelfth' (Battle of the Boyne Day).

How's that going down in Brum?

It was pretty popular. It wasn't really a proper haggis meal, they have that on Burns Night (well, Burns Day really... I'm not working in the evening).

It was chicken stuffed with haggis wrapped in bacon. Very nice but could've done with a bigger portion.

6 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Oh yah wee scamp.  Thinking this was all about Rangers.

Not surprised you're confusing local praxis with governmental fiat.

I don't think you know what 'jingoism' means tbh. 

2 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Halloween would be alright. We need an Autumn/Winter day off.

October 31st is a holiday in many predominantly protestant bits of Germany.

It's the anniversary of Martin Luther pinning his famous 95 theses to the door in 1517 

In the more Roman Catholic bits they get All Saints Day (The 1st November) instead of Reformtag

There might be issues adopting either in Scotland

48 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

October 31st is a holiday in many predominantly protestant bits of Germany.

It's the anniversary of Martin Luther pinning his famous 95 theses to the door in 1517 

Wittenberg.  I'm happy I can still recall my church history 32 years on.  

Disappointed no one;s mentioned flag-burning or cinema anthems.

Archived