Juniors in the big Scottish do we deserve to be there?

Dipple burn

Same was at that game and the hurlford v Stirling both ties nothing in it but at the end of the day Stirling won we move on. IMHO I know brith took a beating fro a very good Morton team but I believe the juniors can compete in 1 off games in the Scottish cup . It's 11 v 11 so anything can happen and that's why we love watching football at any level

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are not often right but holy f**k you are wrong again.
You don't even know your clubs history.[emoji1][emoji38]

You're right i am wrong its actually 9 major honours plus various promotions and play off wins. My mistake.

Still, never lost to the so called amazing juniors that could hold their own in SPFL.

Tier2 /tier 3 league titles can hardly be described as "major" honours, if you tried to claim that on any of the other sections of pie and Bovril you would be laughed at even more.. Basically in the last 60 years your club has won four titles and finished runners up twice.

Baaaahhhhhaaaaa [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

1 hour ago, Quantum Leap said:

Talbot won 4-0.emoji2.png
When was the last time you reached the latter stages of any cup?
What have you won?
Is the capacity of your stadium bigger than Talbots.

At least Stirling Albion aren't sh1t scared to mix it with the big boys week in week out. 

Talbot like being the big fish in a small pond. Happy to play in the Senior Cup but no intention of leaving the junior leagues. 

Woopee do, you win the Junior Cup a lot. Stirling Albion would most seasons if they were allowed to enter it.  

At least Stirling Albion aren't sh1t scared to mix it with the big boys week in week out. 

Talbot like being the big fish in a small pond. Happy to play in the Senior Cup but no intention of leaving the junior leagues. 

Woopee do, you win the Junior Cup a lot. Stirling Albion would most seasons if they were allowed to enter it.  

Stirling Albion will be likely be playing Cumbernauld Colts and BSC next year.

20 hours ago, Isabel Goudie said:

My  man, I do actually get your concern and agree that if something is not done then the Junior game will eventually become an irrelevance. I also get the point about entrenched views on both sides on another post. However, I don't go along with the big fish in a small pond accusation. There is no way a club like Talbot who, in the Junior Grade, could be a base model on how to run a successful progressive Part time club. They would have been mad to go anywhere near the proposals that eventually became the LL, which was ill conceived and rushed. I would actually argue that, rather than big fish in small pond, we have to many small fish in the big pond. There are too many wee clubs clinging on for dear life to their senior status and will never vote for the type of change required to rejuvenate football at all levels in this country. The top level should have two leagues, league one should be full time, no club should be in it unless they can legitametly go full time. League two should have criteria involving grounds being at Silver Licence status. All the rest should be non league and regional like Germany. There should be progression routes to the top. This proposal would stop the nonsense of having teams who have absolutely no support playing in the seniors. Every club would find their true level in this. I would advocate a national non league trophy like in England. Talbot would, in my opinion, be somewhere near the top of the non league, a realistic place for them to be. Sorry but Edinburgh City going into the seniors really just highlights the consummate over ambition together with the man mind thyself attitude of tiny clubs with senior status. These proposals will never ever happen, but if it doesn't, or something like it, it won't just be Junior Football that will become an irrelevance, the whole of Scottish football will! 

C'mon now. Are we actually saying that the Junior Grade is a "big pond"? 

Ignoring these few dafty senior supporters let's be completely honest here. We love the Juniors with a passion. I know you, Isa and I know how you've helped our club over the years but that shouldn't kid us into thinking we are what we aren't. The reality is that, apart from the Hearts year, we have made no inroads whatsoever into giving the SPFL sides a "riddy". Talbot are the pinnacle of Junior football and they will never be surpassed in terms of success but that doesn't make us any better than we are. Which is what I meant by big fish in small pond.

That said the Juniors as a grade is shoddily run and there are up to 10 clubs imo who have outgrown it. Your solution sounds a good one then we may get nearer the standard to progress in the big cup.  

Just now, Quantum Leap said:

Nothing to do with being shit scared my ill informed senior dimwit,
The LL is a disaster in its current form and anyone who has half a brain knows there is no money in Scottish football and it would be financial suicide to join the LL in its current state.
Maybe teams like Stirling Albion should be in the Juniors.

How has it been a disaster? 

Nothing to do with being shit scared my ill informed senior dimwit,
The LL is a disaster in its current form and anyone who has half a brain knows there is no money in Scottish football and it would be financial suicide to join the LL in its current state.
Maybe teams like Stirling Albion should be in the Juniors.

Let's hope they fare better against them than the mighty Talbot have in recent years then eh?

Deluded so called bigger team mentality.

Stirling Albion v University of Stirling has a certain attraction to it[emoji23]

I too wonder this. I think it's gone fine. 

The top sides have better quality on the park than the Juniors and the stadia are up to scratch. 

JB what games do you go to? Seen a few LL games myself this season. Like watching bland rice cook in the oven

Just now, Talbot Bing said:

JB what games do you go to? Seen a few LL games myself this season. Like watching bland rice cook in the oven

That's because you're a neutral and used to watching your team win. Be objective, pal.

The bland rice have done us over a few times after all

That's because you're a neutral and used to watching your team win. Be objective, pal.

The bland rice have done us over a few times after all

Neutral? Ok lol

Most of their grounds aren't any better than top tier juniors. Some are soulless looking and some are just playing fiends. A bit like the juniors so let maybe if the sfa had concentrated on the juniors product which has been in place for years rather than a forced product maybe you would have seen better returns for their efforts.

It's getting no increase in support despite money given to it. Dying on its feet more than the juniors ever will. Stupid idea from the beginning

The majority of Junior sides aren't exactly well supported either.

The Juniors are showing a downward support year on year too I'd wager and it has an imbalance of pension age fans who aren't going to be around in 15-20 years. There doesn't appear to be a generation coming through to replace them either. That's a major worry for the Juniors that they're going to need to face soon. 

Just now, jimbaxters said:

I too wonder this. I think it's gone fine. 

The top sides have better quality on the park than the Juniors and the stadia are up to scratch. 

It seems to be a case of say it enough times and it will become an accepted reality. They're not the ones who can't put out fixtures. 

The thing about the LL is that if it is the bottom of a Pyramid it's always going to have some very weak sides. What it does is allow teams to reach the level they belong at. If a big Junior side played in the LL they would surely be expecting to leave it behind within a few seasons max. It's a means to an end.

Neutral? Ok lol

Most of their grounds aren't any better than top tier juniors. Some are soulless looking and some are just playing fiends. A bit like the juniors so let maybe if the sfa had concentrated on the juniors product which has been in place for years rather than a forced product maybe you would have seen better returns for their efforts.

I made an assumption that you were neutral. Apologies.

On the stadia, I'm going by pictures I've seen online. 

The wrong decision was made by the SFA, yes, but again, the Juniors had the chance to join and didn't. Like it or not there now exists a tier above us, and imo it's doing what it was set up to do, namely allow clubs a route into the SPFL. If we don't want that fine, but we need to decide what we want. The Juniors are flagging.

It seems to be a case of say it enough times and it will become an accepted reality. They're not the ones who can't put out fixtures. 

The thing about the LL is that if it is the bottom of a Pyramid it's always going to have some very weak sides. What it does is allow teams to reach the level they belong at. If a big Junior side played in the LL they would surely be expecting to leave it behind within a few seasons max. It's a means to an end.

Crowds go up and down over the years my friend trust me been following our game for over 40 years now.

The sfa should have focused on the juniors more than LL. It made sense.
They just covered over the cracks.

Someone said yesterday about a regional setup within the game. Best way forward

4 minutes ago, Shanner said:

The majority of Junior sides aren't exactly well supported either.

The Juniors are showing a downward support year on year too I'd wager and it has an imbalance of pension age fans who aren't going to be around in 15-20 years. There doesn't appear to be a generation coming through to replace them either. That's a major worry for the Juniors that they're going to need to face soon. 

Absolutely correct. The way the LL is run is almost an irrelevance as the only reason to join it would be to progress out of it.

Crowds go up and down over the years my friend trust me been following our game for over 40 years now.

The sfa should have focused on the juniors more than LL. It made sense.
They just covered over the cracks.

Someone said yesterday about a regional setup within the game. Best way forward

So you think that there's no need for concern in the Juniors about who will actually be paying to come to games in the next 10- 20 years? 

Archived