Kris Boyd & Jamie Fullarton

54 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

As I've said Boyd, Fullarton et al are entitled to their opinions but the fact they don't seem to be able to comprehend why people are calling them out on their opinions seeming completely wrong-headed is remarkable tbqh.

Has Boyd not been through this before along with his mate Barry ?  I seem to remember a two fingered  response to his critics at that time as well ! 

Edit , sorry just realised that was Barry's other minder Shagger MacGregor. 

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The thing that Boyd seems to be having a difficulty with is the idea that perhaps his experience of Cathro isn't wholly representative.

Stripping things back Boyd's issue seems to be that having worked with him doing his pro license he's found Cathro to be "shy" etc. He seems to have looked at him and drawn the conclusion that the only reason Cathro's progressed has been down to him (in Boyd's eyes) being Levein's teacher's pet, for want of a better example.

It seems to be blowing his tiny mind that the reason that Cathro might be well-regarded by Levein, Nuno Santo, McLaren, Benitez et al is because he might actually be a very effective, impressive coach and that's the reason Levein has given him opportunities.

His argument about "he's never been in a dressing room and had to stand up to players" overlooks the notion that perhaps (by design?) the Hearts dressing room isn't filled with arseholes like Boyd and his ilk. The average age of their squad is around 25, their captain is 24, Djoum aside their key players are all early 20s indeed did Souttar not cite Cathro as an influence on his development at United? Assuming guys like him are in the dressing room and on board with Cathro as a coach then if he's effective in that role then he's making a good first impression. A coach who has made his name developing young players behind given a role where his remit is to get the best out of a talented group of young players, I can't see how that'll work.

As I've said Boyd, Fullarton et al are entitled to their opinions but the fact they don't seem to be able to comprehend why people are calling them out on their opinions seeming completely wrong-headed is remarkable tbqh.

Indeed.  Do you think pros like Perry Kitchen, a, seemingly well respected,  USA international, is going to act like a dick to Cathro, and not listen to him?  Highly unlikely. Kitchen seems like the kind of guy who would act as a buffer between the rest and Cathro if one of the other players stepped out of line anyway.

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Kris Boyd that well known weegie who grew up 30 odd miles outside Glasgow. 

I checked to see where he was actually from and it turns out he grew up just along the road  from  "Fail" by the banks of the "Water of Fail"
https://goo.gl/maps/HyZp98YPA542

Indeed.  Do you think pros like Perry Kitchen, a, seemingly well respected,  USA international, is going to act like a dick to Cathro, and not listen to him?  Highly unlikely. Kitchen seems like the kind of guy who would act as a buffer between the rest and Cathro if one of the other players stepped out of line anyway.

Absolutely. I think Barton was heading in that direction on 5live last night when he was, devils advocate or not, pointing out to Boyd that dressing rooms are different environments now.

I'm speculating here but I'd hazard a guess that players coming through these days are much more on board with sports science, strength & conditioning etc than previous generations. Ok you had that photo of Souttar cutting about in a kebab shop at United, that maybe undercuts my point, but generally speaking I'd have thought that the younger generation of players, who have grown up watching Messi, Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta et al, are more likely to be on board with a progressive coaching appointment if the coach is actually improving them. In that respect I don't think the "dressing room" will care what age he is or whether he's had a playing career of note.

To be honest, I'm starting to think that perhaps Boyd and Fullarton have a point. I mean, the guy has been in the job for a few days now and still hasn't managed his first win as boss. Cathro is clearly a fraud.

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

To be honest, I'm starting to think that perhaps Boyd and Fullarton have a point. I mean, the guy has been in the job for a few days now and still hasn't managed his first win as boss. Cathro is clearly a fraud.

Undefeated in all competitions

Sports personality of the year material

I find the idea that because a manager was once a player, that somehow it will automatically garner great respect from the players, really odd. I mean, yes, if Zidane is your manager and has clearly had an outstanding career. Many of the managers we see seem to have had a decidedly average playing career, where their biggest accolade is making the BBC's team of the week, why would that gather any automatic respect?

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

His argument about "he's never been in a dressing room and had to stand up to players" overlooks the notion that perhaps (by design?) the Hearts dressing room isn't filled with arseholes like Boyd and his ilk. The average age of their squad is around 25, their captain is 24, Djoum aside their key players are all early 20s indeed did Souttar not cite Cathro as an influence on his development at United? 

I'm sure I read somewhere that Hearts recruitment policy is to look for intelligent, professional and mentally robust players. So the odds of some sort of player revolt based on Cathro's lack of playing experience is fairly low i'd imagine. 

27 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that Hearts recruitment policy is to look for intelligent, professional and mentally robust players. So the odds of some sort of player revolt based on Cathro's lack of playing experience is fairly low i'd imagine. 

Tony Watt

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

His argument about "he's never been in a dressing room and had to stand up to players" overlooks the notion that perhaps (by design?) the Hearts dressing room isn't filled with arseholes like Boyd and his ilk. 

I've not met all the players so I hate to generalise but I have met a couple of the Hearts overseas boys and know people who had dealings with them helping get them settled in Edinburgh and they come across as pretty bright, respectful guys. As you say, it's not by chance that they've signed players with this sort of character. 

Using amateur football as a gauge might not be 100% accurate, but the attitudes towards health, diet and physique of the 19 - 26 year olds I played with when I started playing at that level 14 years ago compared to the 19 - 26 year olds I coach now is night and day.  Also, the attitude towards embracing new tactics and formations has changed for the better as well, so if that's anything to go by, Boyd's idea that the modern changing room won't take to guys like Cathro's new ideas is stuck in the past.

I think any Diddy club should really be looking at that side of anyone they sign.

Any signing is likely to be of limited ability so that attitude is essential if you have any ambitions. Mcinnes certainly looks for a certain type of player.

(Cue someone saying the Aberdeen team are shitebags)

7 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

Ok but apart from Tony Watt. 

Robbie Muirhead seems a bit of a nutcase based on his tweets. 

But you can be mental and still have a professional attitude to your football. But when he's posting stuff about 9/11 being an inside job you've got to wonder...

Archived