Dundee v Ross County 10/12/16

6 hours ago, harry94 said:

Have you been watching us at all this season?

From Haber's arrival, we've had some sort of attacking presence. He's battled and dominated in the air in almost every game he's played and caused real problems. He's managed to set up opportunities for others and was a vital part of our upturn of form.

He's had a poorer game today but the service was piss poor. His miss was disappointing but nowhere near as bad as being made out (a touch of a ball that pace would have given the threat of it rolling through to the 'keeper and it was awkward to take first time).

Let's let him have a bad game without throwing him under the bus because he's had less success in a match against a side who his game strengths don't work the best against (Davies in an aerial battle) and where he's hardly had a single pass to feet or even a quality long ball against.

I'm physically struggling to comprehend how Rory Loy makes us a better side in any regard. His all round game is not at this level and his great finishing is a total myth. All he contributes is to antagonise our other players. We need to create a highlight reel of the millions of sitters he's missed.

With Haber, we have a big strong target man of a decent quality. That's a huge necessity in having a good attack.

Haber's miss was a shocker. He did brilliantly to get himself into that position but the very least he should have done is got it on target. I wasn't as bothered as I usually would have been at the time though as we'd just got off the hook at the other end with an equally bad finish.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last time the two sides met, Hartley gave Vincent a man-marking role on Boyce, which largely worked.  Hately did the opposite and barely picked Boyce up, a small handful of exceptions aside.  I thought Boyce was class and involved in nearly all of County's best moves, but not for the first time recently he looked like he really tired in the second half.  He's clearly enjoying the deeper role and setting up so many chances.

I think that system can work well for Dundee in the medium term, but it's missing two key players: someone to drive through from the middle, which O'Hara will bring when he is back; and a forward who is a threat behind the opposition defence to play off Haber.  Hemmings would make Haber look so much better, but then Hemmings could make a lot of players look decent.  El Bakh ran County's defence ragged at the start of the year and I still think he can do that if he is given time to adjust.  That's twice he has come on against County and put on the left of a front three and I don't think that role suits him.

16 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Boo boys can you gtf please :-)

Totally agree.  The effort was by and large there yesterday, just the quality and / or tactics that is not there.

The boo boys probably believed Hartley when he suggested a cup was a target this season and are now seeing how utterly unrealistic that is.

We've got two good attacking players in Haber and Wighton, but neither one of them is an out and out goalscorer.

I don't know if it's lack of communication between them or what, but Wighton always seems to run in the opposite direction from where Haber is knocking the ball down. Maybe they're still getting used to playing with each other though and it will click eventually. I'm hoping so anyway.

Watched the (very) brief YouTube highlights:

• Routis should have buried that chance and it's interesting to see how far forward he gets - certainly not what I expected when I first saw him
  • That reverse pass from Boyce to Routis is wonderful
  • Schalk does as well as he can with that diving header, just an outstanding save from Bain
  • Dundee's #21 has a shocker with that miss

Going by updates from those at the game County sounded like they should have left with the 3 points. Another draw is rather frustrating, particularly given (a) how tight the league is from 6th-12th, and (b) it's Aberdeen up next. Still, there appears to be an obvious improvement over the last 4 weeks, so that's something. And a clean sheet!

The last time the two sides met, Hartley gave Vincent a man-marking role on Boyce, which largely worked.  Hately did the opposite and barely picked Boyce up, a small handful of exceptions aside.  I thought Boyce was class and involved in nearly all of County's best moves, but not for the first time recently he looked like he really tired in the second half.  He's clearly enjoying the deeper role and setting up so many chances.
I think that system can work well for Dundee in the medium term, but it's missing two key players: someone to drive through from the middle, which O'Hara will bring when he is back; and a forward who is a threat behind the opposition defence to play off Haber.  Hemmings would make Haber look so much better, but then Hemmings could make a lot of players look decent.  El Bakh ran County's defence ragged at the start of the year and I still think he can do that if he is given time to adjust.  That's twice he has come on against County and put on the left of a front three and I don't think that role suits him.

Fair assessment. The problem with playing O'Hara is he lacks a little bit of touch on the ball. He breaks forward but he rarely has it under control quickly enough. He does create a bit of havoc and sometimes you get lucky. I think we should concentrate on coaching him in to the CH position.
I do wonder if it's not time to move Cammy Kerr into a more central midfield role. His pace and never say die attitude could work there. Yesterday's midfield trio were totally pedestrian - they didn't/couldn't get close enough to the front 2.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

They had over four and a half thousand!  That's not bad for a wee team like Dundee.

3 hours ago, RossDee01 said:

What are you doing in the Premiership section? Back to the diddy section please.

Like a lot of United fans he's getting excited that they are on an unbeaten run in the second tier of Scottish football.  I suspect there will be a few more United posters that we have forgotten about crawling out the woodwork if this run continues.

I suppose a point would have been acceptable if asked before the game, but we did enough especially 1st half to gain all 3 I thought. Some poor final balls, we missed Burke's quality.

Liking Routis a lot, great energy.

Soapy Soutars pub was decent, a comp ticket outside Dens and a decent macaroni pie (have you changed supplier?) so can't complain.

Archived