Dunfermline Missed Pen v Greenock Morton

3 hours ago, Cowshed118 said:

I asked Gunning on Saturday if he was signig on and he replied "Aye" , but i guess we'll just have to wait and see

Be magic if he stayed - only lost one game since he came - by far the best centre half in league. Should be pulling out all the stops to keep him.

jai also by far the best striker I reckon.

Here's hoping we can do the business sat and get closer to hibs and Utd! 

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Be magic if he stayed - only lost one game since he came - by far the best centre half in league. Should be pulling out all the stops to keep him.

jai also by far the best striker I reckon.

Here's hoping we can do the business sat and get closer to hibs and Utd! 

Gunning - not the best centre half
Quitongo - not the best striker

That's all folks

Gunning is defo one of the best central defenders in the league. 

Quitongo needs to start adding goals to his game. He's still a bit raw in his first season albeit with huge potential. But strikers are  mostly judged on how many goals they can score. I know there is more to their game than just scoring goals but ultimately they need to score.

Jai is young and I'm positive that the goals will come as he has everything else you want in a forward

Gunning is defo one of the best central defenders in the league. 

Quitongo needs to start adding goals to his game. He's still a bit raw in his first season albeit with huge potential. But strikers are  mostly judged on how many goals they can score. I know there is more to their game than just scoring goals but ultimately they need to score.

Jai is young and I'm positive that the goals will come as he has everything else you want in a forward

Gunning is talented, no doubt about it. Wouldn't say he is the best tho. For me I'd rather have Balatoni. McGregor at Hibs is also marginally better.

The two games I have seen of Quitongo this season I wouldn't have guessed he was a natural striker. Similar to Forrest in the way he plays but still inconsistent (so is Forrest) but that will come in time.
Just thought it was a stretch to say he was the "best striker" when he has only scored 2 league goals and one of your defenders has scored more than him.

Balatoni has got nothing on Sir Gavin, what a ridiculous claim :lol: :lol:

Given that Balatoni was a rock in the Partick defense when they won this league and later in the Premiership whereas Gunning wasn't up to it at Premiership and played for Dundee Utd when they finished rock bottom last season.

Go have a rethink pal

Gaston

Doyle O'Ware Gunning Russell

Forbes Murdoch Lindsay Nesbitt

Oliver Quitongo

That midfield has done really well for the past couple of months. Despite Tidser doing well on Saturday we should stick to what we've been doing in the league. I'd have Doyle in for McDonagh due to Doyle coping better at defending but I wouldn't be too bothered if McDonagh started. Looking forward to it. I've never seen us lose away to Dunfermline in the 6/7 times I've been there [emoji185]

Bit harsh on McDonagh's defending. It was probably his best attribute while he was growing in confidence going forward. I'd still have Doyle in there though, as harsh as that'd be on McDonagh.

5 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Gunning is talented, no doubt about it. Wouldn't say he is the best tho. For me I'd rather have Balatoni. McGregor at Hibs is also marginally better.

The two games I have seen of Quitongo this season I wouldn't have guessed he was a natural striker. Similar to Forrest in the way he plays but still inconsistent (so is Forrest) but that will come in time.
Just thought it was a stretch to say he was the "best striker" when he has only scored 2 league goals and one of your defenders has scored more than him.

Balatoni :lol::lol:

Gavin-Gunning.jpg

Gunning is far too good for this level. He's strolled it in every game he's played.

On Quitongo, he's certainly not the best striker in this league. But he's only 19. He hasn't scored many goals but most games he has 2 CH's marking him throughout and runs them all over the place which creates space for the rest of the team.

2 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Given that Balatoni was a rock in the Partick defense when they won this league and later in the Premiership whereas Gunning wasn't up to it at Premiership and played for Dundee Utd when they finished rock bottom last season.

Go have a rethink pal

Just because Gunning was part of a United defence that got relegated doesn't mean he's rubbish. There are 10 other players on the pitch in his team every week. 

Our own Jim Duffy picked up the SPFA player of the year in a season where Morton were relegated and had 70+ goals put past them, I'm guessing he must have been shite though going by your logic.

Balatoni couldn't cut it in the Premiership which is why Kilmarnock wanted him punted, whilst Gunning played over 100 games in the Premiership/SPL for Motherwell and United. I'm convinced Gunning could have picked up another Premiership side had he not had his moment of madness last season which evidently gave him a bad reputation. This ended up being our gain though, since the moment he's walked in the door we've vastly improved.

Go have a rethink pal

The same team he was released from?

Goals conceded since Sir Gavin joined the 'Ton on 15/09:

Greenock Morton - 6

Ayr United - 11

Almost double

cef764354d327b756d15884423f3d8b4.jpg

It's an important game to get three points from for us, given that our play-off rivals are playing utter dross and should both win. I can't help but think though that our very good run will be interrupted by us simply having an off-day and getting beat soon, and that our hilarious run of wins against Dunfermline is also destined to end in the near future. So I wouldn't be too surprised if both runs came to an end at once on Saturday. 

Utterly gubbins players like BRE and Andy Geggan being out would be a major blow to our chances. 

Go have a rethink pal

The partnership of Balatoni and Muirhead in the championship was certainly successful, but he was never ever a rock in the Premiership. He had a couple of good moments when he had someone calm next to him but was often seen on his arse.

9 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Quitongo isn't even the best striker at Morton. Wastes the ball 90% of the time and doesn't score enough.

I'd agree with that. He should have scored a few more by now and certainly should have had a couple on Saturday but he seemed to either delay releasing the ball or trying to create an opportunity to pass it into the net instead of just having a shot.

1 hour ago, Randy Giles said:

Bit harsh on McDonagh's defending. It was probably his best attribute while he was growing in confidence going forward. I'd still have Doyle in there though, as harsh as that'd be on McDonagh.

Yeah I'm not saying he's a bad defender but Doyle is the better defender. Still can't believe he was signed as a striker but has turned into a more than capable right-back during his time here :lol:

Thank Christ I'm missing this. Got OCS at the Hydro. Not going to check the results at all. Just going to get shitfaced from 1 o'clock and enjoy my day without any Pars related nonsense. 

Fully expect a defeat. Anything other than that is a major bonus. Morton have had our number for many seasons now. Even when we won the league in 2011 I'm sure they were the only team to beat us at EEP. That and the fact they are miles better than us. 

If Martin, Geggan, BRE and Williamson are all out, I guess Duthie and Talbot will be the full backs with Ashcroft and Fordyce in the middle. TBF, I can't see a massive victory for Morton. Just the usual defeat by the odd goal caused by woeful defending. Oh, and we'll no doubt miss a penalty in the dying minutes.

2-0 Morton. Next.

Archived