• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first meeting between Caley Thistle and the old Rangers, this having to be held a Tannadice as Telford Street wasn't suitable. This was my first ever away game following the Caley Jags, great game as well, seeing our players compete with the class acts like of Gascoigne, Moore, McCoist and Laudrup. 

Our record vs both Rangers - played 25, won 4, 6 draws, 15 defeats. At Ibrox we have 3 wins, 4 draws and only 6 defeats!! Surprised at this, we seem to do better at Ibrox rather than at home.

Goals for and against at Ibrox - 10 for and 16 against. Most common score at Ibrox 1-1 (4x), Rangers winning 1-0 (3x), Inverness CT winning 1-0 (2x)

Biggest win for Rangers 5-0 (01/11/08) , Biggest win for Inverness CT 0-3 (31/10/12)

Inverness CT have had 4 players red carded in games with Rangers, Rangers have had 2 players taking the walk of shame.

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Ah, the classic response of some of the OF fans on here. "Something negative about our club - deny!" You're the Rangers version of Davie Bhoy. As AM there was nothing but sheer hostility directed at ICT fans that night. The Rangers fans next to us were only interested in trying to fight. The game was of secondary importance to them. Whilst the referendum was undoubtedly the catalyst and it is highly unlikely to be like that this week it certainly doesn't encourage away fans to attend given the actions of some of your support.

I remember that match well.  Now I can't comment for all of them, but as you say, the ones next to the away support seemed to be there for no reason other than to fight.  With the referendum two days away and the death of Ian Paisley the day before, some of the Rangers fans seemed high as kites which was strange given that most of them looked barely old enough to vote in the referendum, let alone be alive at the height of the Troubles.  To be honest, on the way out I was sadder for them more than anything else.  Imagine being so young and so filled of venom towards their fellow men and women.  Sad.

29 minutes ago, sophia said:

Did Billy Urquhart get some Cologne on the 22nd March 1979?

I think I recall a last minute miss that brought opprobrium to him

Not sure if the miss was in the last minute, maybe a Rangers fan can put this to right.

I've just been looking for footage of this game and all I could come up with was the line ups and two short videos from Youtube

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=1978/matches/round=1012/match=63567/postmatch/lineups/index.html

got to wonder what they think about when the fixtures are created, how hard would it be to schedule a rangers v partick match for example on xmas eve and send you lot to say dingwall or aberdeen

Worth noting Inverness to Aberdeen is barely half an hour shorter a drive than Inverness to Glasgow. 2.5 hours is the reported time.

That fat, bald *** getting literally eaten alive by that dog in Manchester, the night before Rangers got utterly bodied by a Zenit team in first gear, was pretty funny.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

That fat, bald *** getting literally eaten alive by that dog in Manchester, the night before Rangers got utterly bodied by a Zenit team in first gear, was pretty funny.

Whilst not necessarily indulging oneself with the pointing and the laughing at some poor unfortunate, it cannot be denied that this thread speaks of an underachievement in European competition that cascades down the decades.

On 18/12/2016 at 16:49, CityDave said:

Our record vs both Rangers - played 25, won 4, 6 draws, 15 defeats. At Ibrox we have 3 wins, 4 draws and only 6 defeats!! Surprised at this, we seem to do better at Ibrox rather than at home.

Goals for and against at Ibrox - 10 for and 16 against. Most common score at Ibrox 1-1 (4x), Rangers winning 1-0 (3x), Inverness CT winning 1-0 (2x)

Biggest win for Rangers 5-0 (01/11/08) , Biggest win for Inverness CT 0-3 (31/10/12)

Inverness CT have had 4 players red carded in games with Rangers, Rangers have had 2 players taking the walk of shame.

That's a fairly impressive record Caley have at Ibrox, to be fair. I remember one game in particular where Rangers I believe were top of the league at the time and Caley were bottom and this was considered a must win (or already won?) game. Caley parked the bus and a future Rangers player scored a penalty in the 90th minute to win 0-1. Very harsh. :)

I'm guessing 2-0 this time round, though. 

On 18/12/2016 at 13:54, CityDave said:

There's no point in trying to reason with him he doesn't go to games and only watches his team on TV. If he doesn't see it, he won't believe it...or so he makes out.

This explains your wee tantrum tonight lol

On 18/12/2016 at 21:46, sophia said:

Whilst not necessarily indulging oneself with the pointing and the laughing at some poor unfortunate, it cannot be denied that this thread speaks of an underachievement in European competition that cascades down the decades.

Schadenfreude.

They've never came that close or looked like winning anything since that semi final in 1979 that was their real chance. They have had some brilliant results in the early stages in Europe since and some real howlers as well. But yeah overall they have underachieved especially given the opportunity to become a European powerhouse in the early years of David Murray.

13 hours ago, thepundit said:

That's a fairly impressive record Caley have at Ibrox, to be fair. I remember one game in particular where Rangers I believe were top of the league at the time and Caley were bottom and this was considered a must win (or already won?) game. Caley parked the bus and a future Rangers player scored a penalty in the 90th minute to win 0-1. Very harsh. :)

I'm guessing 2-0 this time round, though. 

David Weir gave away the penalty and was red carded, Ian Black scored the penalty. We still went down and you won the league that season.

48 minutes ago, CityDave said:

David Weir gave away the penalty and was red carded, Ian Black scored the penalty. We still went down and you won the league that season.

3 wins and 3 draws for me there with ICT. Don't fancy our chances of extending that run this week though.

2 hours ago, CityDave said:

Yep, its was the most blatant push in the back in the box I've ever seen.  The Oxford dictionary definition of a penalty. 

3 hours ago, CityDave said:

That was the game. It all worked out in the end but at the time you're wondering if that was the moment Rangers lost the league. Rangers went on a great run and won 8 of their last 10 games and drew the other 2. Heroic stuff. 

27 minutes ago, thepundit said:

That was the game. It all worked out in the end but at the time you're wondering if that was the moment Rangers lost the league. Rangers went on a great run and won 8 of their last 10 games and drew the other 2. Heroic stuff. 

Never gave Rangers any thought over the title, far more concerned about us staying up, we were on a decent run at the time and gave ourselves a chance of escaping the drop going into the split. I think this result lifted us of the bottom of the table.

Aye Rangers unbeaten run and the 1-0 win vs Celtic pretty much sorted where the title was going that season.

Archived