Old Firm Colts in L2

1 minute ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Tonight is check a trade semi final between Lincoln city and Chelsea u21. I wonder what the attendance will be compared to a regular league match or cup game. Do their lower league clubs get bribes? 

The Premier League down there chuck £1m into the sponsorship pot for the Checkatrade Cup.

28 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

As part of wider discussions regarding the production and development of elite young players in Scotland, particularly in the 17-21 age bracket, the SPFL is consulting with all member clubs to seek views in relation to the potential introduction of colt teams to the league pyramid.

This consultation exercise was discussed and approved by the SPFL’s Competitions Working Group comprising representatives across all four League divisions.

Clubs have been invited to respond with their views and once feedback has been assessed, the SPFL Board will consider next steps in relation to the potential for colt teams to be involved in the professional football pyramid.

This is taking from the SPFL website from the 9th of june 2017
how does that read to you guys?

•  

It reads like it was a discussed and the working group (comprising of members) gave approval to go out to all member clubs to consider their position. The 'clubs invited to respond with their views' part clearly tells everyone no club has categorically said yes to Colt teams.

Given this was last summer and there was no follow up from clubs or SPFL I think that suggests there was no appetite at all. Likely because of fan backlash. 

16 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

It reads like it was a discussed and the working group (comprising of members) gave approval to go out to all member clubs to consider their position. The 'clubs invited to respond with their views' part clearly tells everyone no club has categorically said yes to Colt teams.

Given this was last summer and there was no follow up from clubs or SPFL I think that suggests there was no appetite at all. Likely because of fan backlash. 

So from that you think it will get binned? After the feedback comes in the next steps is to bin it?

3 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

So from that you think it will get binned? After the feedback comes in the next steps is to bin it?

Yes, of course it does. the feedback has been overwhelmingly negative. There is no question the majority of fans don't want this. It would defy logic to do anything but bin it. Surely you can see that? 

14 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

Yes, of course it does. the feedback has been overwhelmingly negative. There is no question the majority of fans don't want this. It would defy logic to do anything but bin it. Surely you can see that? 

I think it comes natural to Scots to be negative,as far as fans go it's very hard to gauge the %,If this is a SPFL board decision it will get accepted,if it goes to the 42 clubs to vote i think it will be very close.

19 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I think it comes natural to Scots to be negative,as far as fans go it's very hard to gauge the %,If this is a SPFL board decision it will get accepted,if it goes to the 42 clubs to vote i think it will be very close.

Its not a case of lower league fans being negative its a case of fans and it seems in most parts the clubs not wanting their league turned into a farce and the competition compromised.

Only 2 clubs would benefit and perhaps the SFA if they actually did get internationalists through.

I would think most League 2 and 1 clubs (they could well end up being in League 2) would be against it.

Are you one of the pet journos touting this stuff?

16 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

i think almost all evidence suggests it won't. Risk and reward. The format in its currently in offers very little reward for considerable risk even for L2 clubs for a few reasons. 

1. By the lowest speculation it still needs 75% approval, Many clubs have came out publicly against, this will likely put clubs considering it off. The vote will likely be made public and they won't want to be the guys that voted yes to a knocked back unpopular proposal
  2. There is no real benefit to L1, Championship and lower SP clubs. Their fans are euqally against so why would they vote yes?
  3. There is massive sporting integirty issues at play here plus the risk of losing promising customers to Rangers and Celtic, for no financial benefit (even for the small bribe) why would clubs vote for it?

You say you think it'll be close but Rangers and Celtic have already more or less admitted defeat, as they should do. Far too much tail wagging the dog in Scottish football. 

7 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Genuine question - have you personally read the proposal fully, and do you fully understand the loan system we have in place?

If you were able to show a basic level of understanding of these two things, then maybe people could move forward a discussion with you regarding them.

How many development loans are allowed per season? How long are these loans able to be? How many are you allowed from one club at one time? How many total loans, development and others, can one club have in one season? What are the rules relating to extending development loans in comparison to extending regular loans?

If you don't know the answers to these simple questions, then why should anyone listen to your opinions regarding a system you don't even fully understand in it's current format?

7 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The pros and cons are all laid out on this thread plus the proposal on offer,negatives and positives on both sides of the debate plus a lot of witabootary.

"No", would have been shorter.

19 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

If the Old Firm want their young players playing in a "real league" may I suggest Celtic Colts shipping off to the League of Ireland and Rangers Colts to the Northern Ireland League. They may actually be popular there.

Or even better sent the senior clubs there for us never to have to deeal with them again. I'd support any proposal to get these poison clubs out our game. 

I'm sure everybody who's been arguing with Willy about this will be thrilled to see that he doesn't know how the voting on the proposal would work, despite it being mentioned many, many times on here, and despite him thinking that it'll go ahead anyway.

You'd genuinely be as well discussing this with the cat.

10 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'm sure everybody who's been arguing with Willy about this will be thrilled to see that he doesn't know how the voting on the proposal would work, despite it being mentioned many, many times on here, and despite him thinking that it'll go ahead anyway.

You'd genuinely be as well discussing this with the cat.

Does that mean discussing it with you Dave as your a Big Fat Tabby:P

5 hours ago, peternapper said:

Pity the colts teams being entered into the Challenge Cup was not a 2 year pilot,  they have been in for that time have added nothing to it & that idea should be thrown out as well & if need be some HFL/LL clubs given a chance.

That, actually, is an interesting point.  I try to get to most games, Challenge Cup included, but when the youth teams are involved, I have no appetite whatsoever to attend and would rather go shopping with the better half. 

HFL/LL teams, I'd definitely go to see.

10 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Tonight is check a trade semi final between Lincoln city and Chelsea u21. I wonder what the attendance will be compared to a regular league match or cup game. Do their lower league clubs get bribes? 

It was 9,444, a little more than they usually get for league games. Pleased to see that they won.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

It was 9,444, a little more than they usually get for league games. Pleased to see that they won.

9,444 is a higher attendance than all the lower league SPFL clubs get so this is factual proof Colts in our bottom divisions is a good idea. :rolleyes:

The sad thing is I bet there is some imbecile, somewhere (and I bet I can narrow down the team they support to one of two teams...) who would actually use the above as a genuine argument for colt teams in Scotland.

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

Watched a bit of it, you would expect a decent turnout for a semi-final, did not notice if the away support made it to 250 or not.  It was mentioned that Lincoln had made £160,000 in prize money up to that point. The other interesting thing I noticed was Chelsea had a squad number 73 that scored for them & I would not be surprized if they have at least that number of players on their books. Also with being U21s that basically would cover reserve team football the problem here all seems to stem from the Development U18 league being not fit for purpose, dump it for a reserve league & stay away from dragging proper leagues down to satisfy a few.

2 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Watched a bit of it, you would expect a decent turnout for a semi-final, did not notice if the away support made it to 250 or not.  It was mentioned that Lincoln had made £160,000 in prize money up to that point. The other interesting thing I noticed was Chelsea had a squad number 73 that scored for them & I would not be surprized if they have at least that number of players on their books. Also with being U21s that basically would cover reserve team football the problem here all seems to stem from the Development U18 league being not fit for purpose, dump it for a reserve league & stay away from dragging proper leagues down to satisfy a few.

I think that's part of the problem in football and why wages are ridiculous in EPL and Europe. Massive squads. Teams like Chelsea swallow up so much talent, maintain several older youth teams and loan out squads of players. Gives them a massive advantage (but doesn't seem to be very fruitful with results) I would have it limited across the board. Max senior squad 25 players. Max youth squads and max players that can be loaned out. Force these other players into other set-ups where they'll be playing more competitive matches.