Old Firm Colts in L2

12 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Just got my email about this pish sent off to the club. Considering this is depressingly likely to come down to finance, I did some fag packet calculations about how much I spend at home games, and it works out to about £500 per season. Assuming fans in League Two spend a similar amount, that would mean that clubs would only need to shed about 30 regulars before the bribe is completely eaten away, without considering the additional costs and suchlike.

Any League Two club chairman that votes for this should have some difficult questions to answer.

Could you break that down it doesn't sound much over a season. Is that just home games? 

22 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrieonians-albion-rovers-show-united-11895042

Confirmed good guys 

• Stirling Albion
  • Airdrieonians 
  • Albion Rovers 

Very likely good guys

• Dunfermline Athletic 
  • Clyde

Come on everyone else, get your club contacted and lets get this number to eight ASAP. If this falls through I can't see how Regan and Doncaster can keep their jobs with the SFA and SPFL both supporting it against blatent fan opinion. Said they'd listen to the fan survey then come out in support of something 74% of fans said no to! Get them to f*ck 

How many "good guys" are needed for this proposal to be torpedoed, should it come to a vote?

4 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

How many "good guys" are needed for this proposal to be torpedoed, should it come to a vote?

8 from the bottom 3 divisions should see it kicked out.

I'm told at our last agm our board said they were opposed to it, so it sounds positive from our side.

3 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

18 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

First time we’ve ever been confirmed good guys. I feel strange.....

28 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrieonians-albion-rovers-show-united-11895042

Confirmed good guys 

• Stirling Albion
  • Airdrieonians 
  • Albion Rovers 

Very likely good guys

• Dunfermline Athletic 
  • Clyde

Come on everyone else, get your club contacted and lets get this number to eight ASAP. If this falls through I can't see how Regan and Doncaster can keep their jobs with the SFA and SPFL both supporting it against blatent fan opinion. Said they'd listen to the fan survey then come out in support of something 74% of fans said no to! Get them to f*ck 

has any body worked out who looks for it, as well as who is against, and who is on the fence 

14 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

8 from the bottom 3 divisions should see it kicked out.

I'm told at our last agm our board said they were opposed to it, so it sounds positive from our side.

Confirmed good guys 

• Stirling Albion
  • Airdrieonians 
  • Albion Rovers 

Very likely good guys

• Dunfermline Athletic 
  • Clyde
  • Arbroath 

Good times 

14 minutes ago, Burnsythebinman said:

has any body worked out who looks for it, as well as who is against, and who is on the fence 

Apart from the clubs I mentioned no one else as far I can tell has came out either way. Berwick are only team I can see that have remotely suggested they're for it. 

5 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Could you break that down it doesn't sound much over a season. Is that just home games? 

Aye, that's just home games; I don't get to away games often. Plus, money spent getting to/at away games wouldn't be of much interest to our individual clubs, if they're just thinking financially. Is it right that the away club only gets 10% of ticket revenue these days?

I was going with £200 for my season ticket, £2 for a programme at eighteen games, £2 for half-time draw tickets, £4 at the canteen. Let's say we manage another four cup games* on average, so £16 x 4 for those, plus another £32 on matchday expenses, as above. That leaves another £60 left over for money spent in the club shop, which I think I get through over the course of the year. Just an estimate, but probably pretty accurate. Also, my maw won't be going either if I stop  :lol:

*I'm not including Challenge Cup games in that, as I wouldn't piss on that clownshoes rodeo if it was on fire.

Obviously the claim that this is to help the Scottish national team is a joke but out of interest I compiled a list of capped players in the last 10 years. There are probably a few instances where the player might have played for another team around their late teens but none I could see that involved old firm teams...

It's hardly a ringing endorsement of the old firm youth systems, given the disproportionate amount of money getting pumped into them.

• Ryan Christie - Inverness CT
  • Jason Cummings - Hibs
  • Ryan Jack - Aberdeen
  • Callum McGregor - Celtic
  • Ryan Fraser - Aberdeen
  • Stuart Armstrong - Dundee Utd
  • Tom Cairney - Hull City

• Steven Kingsley - Falkirk
  • Barrie MacKay - Rangers
  • Callum Paterson - Hearts
  • Oliver Burke - Nottingham Forrest
  • Paul Caddis - Celtic
  • Kenny McLean - St Mirren
  • Tony Watt - Airdrie Utd
  • John McGinn - St Mirren
  • Kieran Tierney - Celtic

• Matt Ritchie - Portsmouth

• Chris Martin - Norwich City
  • Stevie May - St Johnstone
  • Johnny Russell - Dundee Utd
  • Andrew Robertson - Queens Park
  • Craig Forsyth - Dundee

• Ikechi Anya - Wycombe Wanderers
  • Gordon Greer - Clyde
  • Gary Mackay-Steven - Ross County
  • George Boyd - Charlton Ath
  • Liam Bridcutt - Chelsea

• Charlie Mulgrew - Celtic
  • Leigh Griffiths - Livingston
  • Murray Davidson - Livingston
  • Liam Kelly - MK Dons
  • Andrew Shinnie - Rangers
  • Paul Dixon - Dundee
  • Matt Phillips - Wycombe Wanderers
  • Ian Black - Blackburn Rovers
  • Matt GIlks - Rochdale

• Russell Martin - Brighton
  • Grant Hanley - Queen of The South
  • Robert Snodgrass - Livingston
  • Jordan Rhodes - Barnsley
  • James Forrest - Celtic
  • Craig Mackail-Smith - St Albans City
  • Chris Maguire - Aberdeen
  • Mark WIlson - Dundee Utd

• James McArthur - Hamilton Accies
  • Barry Bannan - Celtic
  • Danny Wilson - Rangers
  • Phil Bardsley - Manchester Utd
  • Cammy Bell - Kilmarnock
  • Craig Bryson - Clyde
  • David Goodwillie - Dundee Utd
  • Steven Saunders - Motherwell
  • Jamie Mackie - MK Dons
  • Gary Kenneth - Dundee Utd

• Steven Whittaker - Hibs
  • Craig Conway - Ayr Utd
  • Don Cowie - Ross County
  • Graham Dorrans - Livingston
  • Lee Wallace - Hearts
  • Danny Fox - Everton
  • Stephen Hughes - Rangers
  • Ross Wallace - Celtic

• James Morrison - Middlesborough
  • Cristophe Berra - Hearts
  • Steven Fletcher - Hibs
  • Kris Commons - Stoke City
  • Ross McCormack - Rangers
  • Scott Robertson - Dundee
  • Chris Iwelumo - St Mirren
  • Kirk Broadfoot - Hibs
  • Darren Barr - Falkirk
  • Kevin Thomson - Hibs
  • David Clarkson - Motherwell

2 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

Apart from the clubs I mentioned no one else as far I can tell has came out either way. Berwick are only team I can see that have remotely suggested they're for it. 

The clubs looking positively on this will be staying very quiet, in the same way that a cinema owner wouldn't want people to find out about their plans to piss in the popcorn.

To encourage teams to play more young scots why not have a central fund of money and clubs are paid X amount for playing u21 Scots. Would certainly help fill the coffers of many clubs and it wouldn' be detrimental to any club. Take stranraer. They are in financial difficulty and have been selling off there squad to cut costs. They could benefit as could others for playing u21 Scots and get paid for it. I not saying it should be huge sums but as a nice little incentive to clubs it could be worthwhile.

2 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

If any one knows better - update the hit list----------

League 1 & League 2 - and declared Championship clubs

Confirmed good guys 

• Stirling Albion
  • Airdrieonians 
  • Albion Rovers 

Very likely good guys

• Dunfermline Athletic 
  • Clyde
  • Arbroath

Most likely bad guys

• Berwick

On the fence/not declared

• Peterhead
  • Stenhousemuir
  • Morton
  • Elgin
  • Annan
  • Edinburgh
  • Cowdenbeath
  • Raith 
  • Ayr
  • Stranraer
  • Alloa
  • E Fife
  • Queens Park
  • Forfar

28 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

Two in the top flight mate or eight in the lower three. 

Is that definite, i.e. 25% of tiers 2-4?

Previously it's been reported there are 3-stage votes:
* Premiership (11-1 required)
* Premiership + Championship (75% required = 17-5)
* all SPFL clubs (75% required = 32-10)

You're surely not expecting all or even many of the 250 away tickets to be used, though? Not many OF fans followed their 'B' teams in the Challenge Cup, despite it being a novelty and played when the first-teams didn't have games... My point is that a lower home turnout for 'B' team games - which was also seen in the Challenge Cup - also translates into lower sales of car parking, 50/50 tickets, programmes, food 'n drink.

My point is really that simply talking of £15,000 more income seems misguided... There are 5 fewer games against 'proper' clubs, and 6 games against 'B' teams where lower home crowds and corresponding matchday sales seem very likely. There's also the worry that a portion of people get disillusioned by it and stop / attend less often, or people think their ST no longer represents value as 1 in 3 home games are against 'B' teams. Such factors would all deduct from £15k.

I agree re the £15k but I would not just accept that challenge cup experience re away support will just translate through to away fan attendance in league 2 games - the old firm will really push to get these tickets sold and market their colt teams to their fans - they want this to be a success. So you may find that they do shift their tickets. If though you are modelling and you assume less than 250 away fans (could possibly be more of course) will attend then that should be in your model. Maybe it will depend on their team's performance.

It's hard though to criticise the business case put forward by the Old Firm by putting up a model full of holes which is just as easily shown to be critically flawed - the £90k gate income of course being the most prominent matter. If Old Firm inflated a figure in their case by 3x then they would be pilloried.

15 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

No

...and this would be where you correct me with the actual percentage?  :lol:

Edit: if what I'm reading on the SPFL website is correct, the away team gets nowt but expenses. Tasty.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

40 minutes ago, GoTeamGaz said:

Obviously the claim that this is to help the Scottish national team is a joke but out of interest I compiled a list of capped players in the last 10 years. There are probably a few instances where the player might have played for another team around their late teens but none I could see that involved old firm teams...

It's hardly a ringing endorsement of the old firm youth systems, given the disproportionate amount of money getting pumped into them.

Doesn't that highlight the problem that a lot of players (especially at Rangers and Celtic) aren't developing as they should be due to a lack of competitive first team football? It's not easy to bring through youngsters at clubs who are expected to win every week

You have a few exceptions like Barrie McKay and Lewis Macleod who only really got chances in the first team because Rangers were playing in the Third Division. Andrew Shinnie should have been a much better player than he ended up being but he spent years in the Rangers Reserves/U20s not really being challenged. At least now the club are being a bit more proactive in getting players loan moves and a better quality of opposition by playing teams outwith Scotland but it still isn't enough.

25 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Is that definite, i.e. 25% of tiers 2-4?

Previously it's been reported there are 3-stage votes:
* Premiership (11-1 required)
* Premiership + Championship (75% required = 17-5)
* all SPFL clubs (75% required = 32-10)

That could be it man, I was trying to think back. I'm sure it was 11-1 then 75% of the remaining clubs which would allow eight to veto it. Means worse case scenario 10 lower level clubs to stop it?