Australian Open Tennis 2017

lichtie23

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still can't get my head around that. Two slams in a row he's had fantastic opportunities to add to his tally that have been passed up. Hopefully this result doesn't effect him too badly.

6 hours ago, Highlandmagyar said:

Pumped. That gong around his neck is obviously weighing him down.

What a lot of shite , Andy being knighted has absolutely zero relevance to him losing a match in a grand slam. Gutted for him but still some boy ! #1

Bit annoyed that Murray didn't win... but now not too bothered. The man could retire today and is a legend.
Great chance for a new slam winner which would be good... plus I would also like to see fed or Nadal win.. especially fed.
I have nothing against Stan but really don't want him to win
Murray will win Wimbledon again BTW. Bookmark that.
Oz open is like the pga in golf. Yes it's a major.... but give me Wimbledon anytime... that's the masters or open

Woke up this morning and checked Livescore on my phone and was like:

Reaction GIF: what the fuck?

So yep, I want Rafa to win it now.  Just as long as fucking Wawrinka doesn't.

5 hours ago, Loki said:

I want Dimitrov or Nadal to win. Both Swiss can GTF. Stan to beat Federer in the semi would be sweet.

Would be good to see Dimitrov win a slam. Always a pleasure to see someone whose promising career seemed to be going backwards turn it round again. He's always played the game the way I like, and seems to be gradually getting to the stage he should have been at a year or two ago. Quarter against Goffin should be a cracking match.

Wawrinka is like the tennis version of Blur.  Pretty good songs released as singles but the album filler was always utter shite.  Like him with Grand Slams and the rest of the tennis year.

2 hours ago, Elixir said:

I like Stan, but if he overtakes Murray's slam haul it will be a travesty.

It wouldn't be a travesty at all.  Although in two of his slam finals he has played injured players.  Nadal damaged his back in the warm up, and stated he would have withdrawn if it was any other match apart from a Grand Slam final.  Also Djokovic was the walking wounded in the US Open, and barely played four matches to make the final.  That's the rub of the green.  Stan deserved all three.  He was magnificent in his win in Paris.  Murray certainly deserves more, but if he can't perform as well as he can in the vital moments, it's his fault.  He gifted Federer his last win in Australia, and chucked away two against Djokovic.  

As well as Zverev played on Sunday Murray really couldn't figure out what to do different.  Normally this is what Murray excels at.  But he couldn't figure it out. He struggled with pressure at the US Open, being the deemed favourite and really struggled in Australia once Djokovic went out.  I also thought Murray on Sunday regressed to constantly pushing the ball back waiting for the error in decisive points, allowing Zverev the opportunity to take the ball early and really hit the ball hard forcing Murray back.  Murray has struggled with Federer since he employed the rushing the net tactic under Edberg.  He has also hit with Zverev so knew exactly how he would play.  Disappointing that they didn't have a plan B.  That's probably the only time Delgado and Lendl have put a foot wrong.

Whilst Murray is far superior to Wawrinka, there is lots to be learned from the way he just zones in at vital times and plays his best tennis.  I don't want Stan to win, but I greatly admire him.  I think if you put Stan against the opponents Murray had in his finals he would have won more than three.  However the players all see the Gold Medal as a Slam particularly the 2012 at Wimbledon, so he will always have those two medals to add to his legacy more than Stan.

I have always thought Murray will get to 4-6 Slams.  I still hold that opinion.  I think he will win the French and another couple of Wimbledons.  Stan could easily end up with that kind of number too.  He is certainly the best grass player around at the moment.

Anyway I really like Dimitrov.  When he plays well he plays fluid attacking tennis, and he is a really good guy as well. Quite happily stepped in to help Andy do his charity work in September and was good crack through out, donning the kilt to play etc.  If not I hope Nadal wins.  I have always preferred Nadal over Federer so him getting closer to the 17 would be funny.

Archived