Australian Open Tennis 2017

lichtie23

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Raonic is going under the radar a bit with all the talk of Djokovic going out, Murray being favourite and Federer's 'comeback'. I'd say he's a near certainty to reach the final and if not for injury last year was likely to beat Murray in the semis, and he's improved since then (although so has Murray obviously). The 7/1 still available for him is great value.

Dimitrov beat Raonic (plus Thiem and Nishikori) on his way to winning in Brisbane a couple of weeks back and he's playing fantastic stuff against Gasquet just now. I'd say he's the one floating under the radar.

Has anyone else been watching Game, Set and Mats at the end of the days coverage? I've been recording them but some days recently it hasn't actually been shown. Is it still filmed and put online?

3 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think Raonic is going under the radar a bit with all the talk of Djokovic going out, Murray being favourite and Federer's 'comeback'. I'd say he's a near certainty to reach the final and if not for injury last year was likely to beat Murray in the semis, and he's improved since then (although so has Murray obviously). The 7/1 still available for him is great value.

Murray will just pump him again like he did at Wimbledon.

1 hour ago, AUFC90 said:

Murray will just pump him again like he did at Wimbledon.

It was straight sets yes, but he also only broke his serve once in the entire match. Wasn't exactly a pumping in that sense, would have only taken a couple of slopping service games and he'd have lost a couple of sets. Like I said last year at the same tournament Raonic could easily have won, and at the WTF he had match point on Murray and was a set and a break up on Murray. I'd still fancy Murray to win if it came to it, but you are guaranteed a couple of tie break sets, and one loss of serve and the set is gone, which means the margins are smaller. I feel more comfortable in matches when the match is in his hands more.

I thought Raonic looked a bit ropey against Simon today, but Simon makes just about everyone look worse than they are.  Raonic's movement is greatly improved from a year ago, but I am still not convinced about his stamina.  In a final Murray would wear him down. Anyway don't think that Raonic will make the final.  On hard courts he's always had very close matches with Bautista-Agut.  Then in the QF awaits either Nadal (losing record against) or Monfils (wins as often as Raonic), then more than likely will face his kryptonite Dimitrov.  For me the most impressive players in that half has been Dimitrov, Nadal and then Raonic.  Goffin also can't be ruled out, he's continually improving and is considerably fitter than he was last season.  He faded badly when two sets up against Raonic at Wimbledon.

I thought we saw touches of the real Nadal last night but there was also a large dose of the Nadal we have seen over the last year and a half. Zverev will be some player once Jez Green gets him fully conditioned.  Certainly looks to be a more likely prospect than Kyrgios at the moment.

Tonight Murray really should have no problems with Zverev.  He uses him as a hitting partner and knows his game very well.  I would imagine he will win by five breaks.  Federer Nishikori should be an excellent match.  Tsonga should beat Evans, but if he can continue slicing his backhand he will continually extract errors from Tsonga.  He just needs to keep it together.

3 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

It was straight sets yes, but he also only broke his serve once in the entire match. Wasn't exactly a pumping in that sense, would have only taken a couple of slopping service games and he'd have lost a couple of sets. Like I said last year at the same tournament Raonic could easily have won, and at the WTF he had match point on Murray and was a set and a break up on Murray. I'd still fancy Murray to win if it came to it, but you are guaranteed a couple of tie break sets, and one loss of serve and the set is gone, which means the margins are smaller. I feel more comfortable in matches when the match is in his hands more.

Murray was smoking cigars during every one of his service games that day, it was about as comfortable a grand slam final win that you'll get.His returning was phenomenal and Raonic had no answers.

Murray was smoking cigars during every one of his service games that day, it was about as comfortable a grand slam final win that you'll get.His returning was phenomenal and Raonic had no answers.

Yeah....though it was only one break....Raonic didn't lay a glove on Murray. It was as one sided as it gets

Anyone watching the men's doubles? The number one seeds Mahut and Herbert looked to be going out to Dom Inglot and Mergea but down Inglot down 0-40 on his serve now. The serving was atrocious from Herbert four double faults in one game gifting a break away.

Archived