Australian Open Tennis 2017

lichtie23

Tbf, it's only because Murray is Scottish I'd find it a travesty. :lol:

It's strange because you would think the pressure he's been under at Wimbledon is as big as it will get for him, but obviously it's impossible to tell and being in five finals previously in Australia may have made him put extra pressure on himself compared to that of the public and media eye. Of course, part of what McEnroe was alluding to about burnout and him not really having much of a proper break could well have played its part too. In any case, he's still extended his lead in the rankings. I also agree he should be aiming to hit six or so slams. He fully deserves to be in that bracket of players who have won six/seven/eight.

Couldn't agree more about Dimitrov too. Watching his match with Gasquet, there was a moment during one point where he called it 'bullshit' to the umpire, but at the end of the match spent a good bit of time with him and apologised. Seemed very genuine. Similarly, Raonic has always been very graceful and professional in defeat, so I'd have nothing against him winning. If Rafa does win, it'll be some run of players he'll have gone through to do it.

Also, why is it that with Murray being such a good grass court player, which is generally the fastest surface, that one reason he perhaps struggled was because of the reported speed of the courts in Australia this year? Is there more to it than simply how quickly the ball plays, such as the bounce and other conditions etc? Likewise, why was it that up until a few years ago, Murray was relatively poor on clay courts, which generally favour baseliners like himself?

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Tbf, it's only because Murray is Scottish I'd find it a travesty. :lol:

It's strange because you would think the pressure he's been under at Wimbledon is as big as it will get for him, but obviously it's impossible to tell and being in five finals previously in Australia may have made him put extra pressure on himself compared to that of the public and media eye. Of course, part of what McEnroe was alluding to about burnout and him not really having much of a proper break could well have played its part too. In any case, he's still extended his lead in the rankings. I also agree he should be aiming to hit six or so slams. He fully deserves to be in that bracket of players who have won six/seven/eight.

Couldn't agree more about Dimitrov too. Watching his match with Gasquet, there was a moment during one point where he called it 'bullshit' to the umpire, but at the end of the match spent a good bit of time with him and apologised. Seemed very genuine. Similarly, Raonic has always been very graceful and professional in defeat, so I'd have nothing against him winning. If Rafa does win, it'll be some run of players he'll have gone through to do it.

Also, why is it that with Murray being such a good grass court player, which is generally the fastest surface, that one reason he perhaps struggled was because of the reported speed of the courts in Australia this year? Is there more to it than simply how quickly the ball plays, such as the bounce and other conditions etc? Likewise, why was it that up until a few years ago, Murray was relatively poor on clay courts, which generally favour baseliners like himself?

I think that was mainly down to his back. Ever since he's had surgery his results have improved hugely on clay, and he always said that was the surface where he felt his back the most.

I feel the French Open is a real opportunity for him in the next couple of years, it's probably the surface where there are the least number of threats as the surface negates a lot of the bigger hitters or players who favour a more attacking style game.

Diamonds has covered your clay question brilliantly, so I have nothing to add.

As well as grass being the faster surface, it has a much lower bounce.  Murray has the lowest clearance over the net of any of the top players.  So when it bounces on the grass you really have to stretch down to make your shot.  Other players aren't quite used to that. 

I'll be rooting for Stan if his A game shows up over the next few days, he's been imperious in all 3 slam finals  and I'd still go "all in" on him against anyone at any price when he's on top form.

Diamonds has covered your clay question brilliantly, so I have nothing to add.
As well as grass being the faster surface, it has a much lower bounce.  Murray has the lowest clearance over the net of any of the top players.  So when it bounces on the grass you really have to stretch down to make your shot.  Other players aren't quite used to that. 

Hence players should be serve volley on grass but not very practical on clay. The low bounce of a serve on grass means the return is likely to come back higher... thus this really suits the server charging net for volley
Nb though.. many grass courts have been slowed down

Konta didn't appear to believe she could win, the corners and lines came through virtually unscathed as she preferred to hit most shots fairly close to Serena, she'll learn.

Archived