P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

15 hours ago, spud131 said:

Anyone have a problem with birds only eating one type of feed in their garden? I've got a feeder with fat balls, one with peanuts and one with bird seed. They seem to go mad for the fat balls (2 balls a day sometime) but the nuts and seed go untouched!! The only thing I can think of is the fat balls are in an all metal feeder whilst the peanuts and seed are in cheaper plastic ones!!

Slightly different experience here.  The fat balls and one of the feeders go really quickly - I'm topping both up every day - but there's one feeder on a stand of 4 that seems to be a last resort. My suspicion is that they don't like the perches as they stick out like spokes.  The one they like has a thin bar around the bottom so I could see how that would be easier for them to grip - at least they're facing the feeder rather than standing sideways on.

2 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Got a bird nest on my roof. They keep shitting everywhere in my garden, do I leave the nest or get rid?

Unless you can show that it's a danger to public health, it's illegal to destroy a nest with birds or eggs in it. Why not just leave the wee fuckers another couple of weeks. The shite's there already anyway:lol:

Out of interest, can you see if it's just starlings or is it house martins or suchlike?

On 2017-5-10 at 19:47, Ziggy said:

Just been back on the RSPB website and I think it might have been a female or juvenile Hen Harrier. 

I'm new to this game, how many points do I get for a Hen Harrier?

Dunno if you ever found out what the bird was but from your description I'd have guessed maybe a sparrowhawk. Similarly sized to kestrels, highly agile, quite common (even in urban areas) and corvids will sometimes gang up on them.Females are much larger than males and will happily kill birds the size of wood pigeons, jackdaws and magpies.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/bird-and-wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/s/sparrowhawk/index.aspx

Edited by Rizzo

4 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Got a bird nest on my roof. They keep shitting everywhere in my garden, do I leave the nest or get rid?

Aye, a man of your age is probably ready to leave the nest.

On 14/05/2017 at 11:55, The Mantis said:

Unless you can show that it's a danger to public health, it's illegal to destroy a nest with birds or eggs in it. Why not just leave the wee fuckers another couple of weeks. The shite's there already anyway:lol:

Out of interest, can you see if it's just starlings or is it house martins or suchlike?

don't house-martins make em outa mud & under eaves

Saw my first blackcap of the year yesterday at Kirkhill station while waiting for my train to work.

I'd been hearing them there for a wee while - must be nesting - but the female popped out of the undergrowth just a few feet away from me.