P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

4 Australian white ibis or is it ibises. This is only a few metres from a busy main road. Unusual to see them in suburbia and about 5 kilometres from nearest water. Did see one nearby last year. They've become a bit of a nuisance in some parts of the east coast but not 4 ibis/ibises do not a nuisance make in South Oz.

IMG_2971.JPG

Me and the missus just back from a week in Spain. 3 days in Madrid and saw Ronaldo score 4 against Girona. Then 4 days in Extremadura, western Spain. Common White Storks nesting everywhere, including rooftops, a rare Black Stork and wall to wall Griffon Vultures. Also Red and Black Kites and a Lesser Kestrel.JB7D8533.thumb.jpg.48ebff66230d2ce9c61d291d296f1a35.jpgJB7D8495.thumb.jpg.059f8a8c39f90086f170e19dd32f3523.jpgJB7D8744.thumb.jpg.e61c305ab98c2e62b95bad0b802d3f65.jpgJB7D8911.thumb.jpg.91019d5181cc9f4e443d76fa61b8d8f2.jpgJB7D8906.thumb.jpg.46c0a6f26696f21ecc08f258192f76d4.jpg 

6 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Me and the missus just back from a week in Spain. 3 days in Madrid and saw Ronaldo score 4 against Girona. Then 4 days in Extremadura, western Spain. Common White Storks nesting everywhere, including rooftops, a rare Black Stork and wall to wall Griffon Vultures. Also Red and Black Kites and a Lesser Kestrel.JB7D8533.thumb.jpg.48ebff66230d2ce9c61d291d296f1a35.jpgJB7D8495.thumb.jpg.059f8a8c39f90086f170e19dd32f3523.jpgJB7D8744.thumb.jpg.e61c305ab98c2e62b95bad0b802d3f65.jpgJB7D8911.thumb.jpg.91019d5181cc9f4e443d76fa61b8d8f2.jpgJB7D8906.thumb.jpg.46c0a6f26696f21ecc08f258192f76d4.jpg 

That last pic makes me think of a certain ex-Whitehill committee member feasting on the body of a sacked manager.....! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this on our local pond, with some tufties. I happened to be aware that there had been sightings of a ring-necked duck in the Lothians, and so identified it right away. Without being forewarned I wouldn't have thought to look twice.

5ad33705c933a_Ring-neckedducksmaller.thumb.jpg.ad740c1cf112363d297b7e3d24e8374a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've changed the type of feed that i've been putting out, sunflower hearts and nyger seeds, and since doing it i've seen loads of birds that I'd not seen in the garden before.

Apologies, my camera was zoomed out to the maximum to get these so they aren't very crisp.

P1040665a.jpg

P1040660a.jpg

On 3/30/2018 at 17:40, Rizzo said:

Ah, that's why the berry and insect flavoured suet slabs have been vanishing so bloody quick recently. 

IMG_0098.JPG

I stick some suet blocks outside my window at work and they've recently been getting hammered by a Great spotted woodpecker as well! 

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

P1040651a.jpg

Big fan of Goldfinches (and Bullfinches). My folks had one in the garden for the first time in a while just casually guzzling the nyger seed that was out. Sadly they haven't been around that much recently up north where they are.

KB, as you probably know those are (in order) greenfinch, (male) chaffinch and goldfinch. You seem to have hit upon a finch-attracting menu. Nyger seeds are goldfinch catnip.

We used to see lots of greenfinches, but now we see a lot more bullfinches. Similarly, we see loads of long-tailed tits where in previous years we saw great tits. I suppose these things vary a fair amount over a few years.

As for the waterfowl, there seem to be hundreds of goldeneye around nowadays. They used to be a rare sighting. Although that may be correlated with going for more winter walks, when they are actually supposed to be around.

7 minutes ago, sugna said:

KB, as you probably know those are (in order) greenfinch, (male) chaffinch and goldfinch. You seem to have hit upon a finch-attracting menu. Nyger seeds are goldfinch catnip.

We used to see lots of greenfinches, but now we see a lot more bullfinches. Similarly, we see loads of long-tailed tits where in previous years we saw great tits. I suppose these things vary a fair amount over a few years.

Yeah, I did a bit of research after noticing the new species.  They've really taken off after i put the Nyger seeds into a normal bird feeder.  I got one that claims to be specifically for Nyger seeds and nothing has touched it.  The holes look too small for anything to be able to get anything out.

Not seen any Bullfinches yet, but I'll be keeping an eye out.  We've also got a load of Blue Tits and Great Tits and I'm sure I've seen some Coal Tits as well.

4 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Yeah, I did a bit of research after noticing the new species.  They've really taken off after i put the Nyger seeds into a normal bird feeder.  I got one that claims to be specifically for Nyger seeds and nothing has touched it.  The holes look too small for anything to be able to get anything out.

You live and learn! I had the same experience with a nyjer* feeder, and it's currently awaiting me drilling the holes out a bit. I think I'll follow your lead and ditch it instead.

* Seem to be several variant spellings. Never knew that either.

3 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

They've really taken off after i put the Nyger seeds into a normal bird feeder.  I got one that claims to be specifically for Nyger seeds and nothing has touched it.  The holes look too small for anything to be able to get anything out.

3 hours ago, sugna said:

You live and learn! I had the same experience with a nyjer* feeder, and it's currently awaiting me drilling the holes out a bit. I think I'll follow your lead and ditch it instead.

finches in East Sussex seem to be similarly fat-beaked fuckers, though I may give it a bit more time yet before taking the DeWalt to the feeder thing - it does say on the accompanying leaflet that it may take "several weeks" for birds to become accustomed to new kit and it's only been up a fortnight or so...

• 3 weeks later...

Got a family of bullfinches nesting in the garden this spring. The other night two chicks made their first appearances...the mother was running about like crazy feeding them in bushes further down the garden, while the father did the bullfinch equivalent of sitting back and cracking a beer.

Rotten photo I know, but all I had immediately to hand was a wee camera with a crappy zoom facility....

32207376_10155942071523692_3711631404862275584_n.jpg