Uefa nations league

Bambino7

I don't have Sky, alas, is this really going on?

Posted at 21:40

Post update

Germany in disarray, players arguing among each other at the final whistle.

Thomas Muller is giving Marco Reus a right ticking out, hands flapping all over the place, saliva spraying from his mouth.

8 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I don't have Sky, alas, is this really going on?

Posted at 21:40

Post update

Germany in disarray, players arguing among each other at the final whistle.

Thomas Muller is giving Marco Reus a right ticking out, hands flapping all over the place, saliva spraying from his mouth.

Just had a look on German news sites and can't find anything, so I'm not sure tbh.

What takes precedence in the instance where all the teams in group A qualify automatically and 2 of the group winners in B qualify automatically? Do the 4 best runners up in B go to the A playoff and the next 2 take part in the B playoff or vice versa? It seems likely in that case that the A playoff would actually be easier to qualify through than B.

I’m pretty sure they fill up from the bottom, so the four winners from group C and group D respectively will fill those playoff spots, then the B playoff would be filled by the 2 remaining group winners and the best 2 runners-up, then the next 4 teams from group B would end up in the group A playoffs. So in fact you’re correct in saying that there’s a decent chance the A playoff will end up being easier than the B playoff.

If the qualifying groups all end up going according to seeding, the entire league A and 8/12 of league B would qualify automatically. In this case, bizarrely, the four league A playoff spots would go to the four runners up from league C!

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

They weren't good teams then, either. But you don't need to be good to qualify for a 24-team finals. Just not fucking useless will do, and we failed to attain that low target. 

We didn't even make the play-offs, putting us outside the top 27 teams. Which is a bit shit.

On the other hand though, two former winners of the tournament were in the same boat  while another former winner lost in the play-offs, so it was an odd set of qualifiers. Greece were a top seed and finished bottom of their group, behind the Faroe Islands!

10 hours ago, Donathan said:

I’m pretty sure they fill up from the bottom, so the four winners from group C and group D respectively will fill those playoff spots, then the B playoff would be filled by the 2 remaining group winners and the best 2 runners-up, then the next 4 teams from group B would end up in the group A playoffs. So in fact you’re correct in saying that there’s a decent chance the A playoff will end up being easier than the B playoff.

If the qualifying groups all end up going according to seeding, the entire league A and 8/12 of league B would qualify automatically. In this case, bizarrely, the four league A playoff spots would go to the four runners up from league C!

Aye that makes sense, it's a weird quirk of the playoffs in that first and second in the groups in league C are pretty much all guaranteed playoff spots, due to the 20 automatic spots more than likely being taken by the League A and B teams. 

10 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Wondering what it's going to be like for the next two years???
I'll just leave this here...
IMG_4679.jpg

The only thing more tired than the "it's coming home" patter is the "don't say it" patter, so he's completely excelled himself there. 

So the League D play-offs are:

Georgia v Belarus

Macedonia v Kosovo

None have ever qualified for anything before. I can't recall any coming close. Kosovo were ranked third-bottom at the start of the Nations League. The boost for those national teams must be intense.

And I think we can now conclusively say that San Marino are the worst team in Europe.