Partick Thistle v St. Johnstone - 1/2/17

5 hours ago, Rugster said:

The purpose of professional football is to win matches   

Wrong. The purpose of professional football is to entertain spectators. The aim of a team playing professional football, which is to win matches, is not the same as the purpose for which the sport exists as a professional endeavour.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great start to the match; some good, fairly short passing with us getting some joy running at the Saints defence (although Erskine seemed a bit off the pace), great chance for Edwards, Keown smashes a volley at about 100mph, admittedly straight at the keeper which he somehow parries away to safety... then Booth fucks up to gift a goal away just before half-time.

Far and away the most concerning aspect is that we went to complete shit after that and gave up everything that was giving us joy in favour of hoofball and didn't create anything after that. Can sum it up in that Barton, normally our most composed player, gave the ball away a few of times with careless touches/passes.

Fair fucks to St Johnstone for taking >10 seconds for every single free-kick, goal kick and throw in once they were one up and giving us a masterclass in how to scrap to hold onto a lead.

No.11's dive was brutal. Didn't see Elliot's sending off, don't really care tbh.

Good luck to St Johnstone for the rest of the season.

8 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Wrong. The purpose of professional football is to entertain spectators. The aim of a team playing professional football, which is to win matches, is not the same as the purpose for which the sport exists as a professional endeavour.

Professional footballers are playing for a win bonus.  Not to make you shout "Bravo Sir!".

Just now, Ya Bezzer! said:

Professional footballers are playing for a win bonus.  Not to make you shout "Bravo Sir!".

Again, you can't tell the basic difference between the purpose of a professional sport and the purpose of playing a professional sport.

Architecture exists to produce aesthetically pleasing, structurally sound buildings. Architects do their job for money. Some architects make money out of designing buildings that look fuck ugly. They might get paid for it, and they might do well out of it for themselves, but they won't be winning any plaudits from those who appreciate architecture for the Boyd Orr Building at Glasgow University.

9 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

I found the last 4 minutes exceptionally entertaining. Think credit is due to the 10 Thistle players who managed to not lose the rag and get sent off. 

3 points, clean sheet, 100% effort, Macca/Craig/Cummins on the wind up and some absolute roasters behind the goal about to explode with rage. 

Well worth £22 

Just now, angus-saintPB253 said:

I found the last 4 minutes exceptionally entertaining. Think credit is due to the 10 Thistle players who managed to not lose the rag and get sent off. 

3 points, clean sheet, 100% effort, Macca/Craig/Cummins on the wind up and some absolute roasters behind the goal about to explode with rage. 

Well worth £22 

I freely admit that winding-up other people is itself a form of often excellent entertainment. It's not one people should have to pay for though.

Again, you can't tell the basic difference between the purpose of a professional sport and the purpose of playing a professional sport.
Architecture exists to produce aesthetically pleasing, structurally sound buildings. Architects do their job for money. Some architects make money out of designing buildings that look fuck ugly. They might get paid for it, and they might do well out of it for themselves, but they won't be winning any plaudits from those who appreciate architecture for the Boyd Orr Building at Glasgow University.

As you can understand I'm sure, what you believe to be aesthetically pleasing will differ from the eyes of other people. The purpose as you say is to entertain. I'm far more entertained at a match when we win (ugly, route one or however which way) than losing but playing a Barcelona brand of Football. Take the defeat and toddle on to the next match. Your fellow fans are showing a far greater level of acceptance of last nights events.

1 minute ago, Ad Lib said:

Footballer is a profession.  Architect is a profession. 

Now place footballer into your own statement.

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Think I can do that for you.

10 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Professional football exists to produce entertainment. Professional footballers do their job for money. Some professional footballers make money out of shitfest hoofballing their way to 3 points (no names necessary). They might get paid for it, and they might do well out of it for themselves, but they won't be winning any plaudits from those who appreciate football as a source of entertainment.

3 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

As you can understand I'm sure, what you believe to be aesthetically pleasing will differ from the eyes of other people. The purpose as you say is to entertain. I'm far more entertained at a match when we win (ugly, route one or however which way) than losing but playing a Barcelona brand of Football. Take the defeat and toddle on to the next match. Your fellow fans are showing a far greater level of acceptance of last nights events.

I readily "take the defeat". I readily admitted that St Johnstone are far better at closing out games than we are. I readily admit they deserved to win, because we were dreadful.

I merely made an observation that the football was not entertaining and that the decisions made (for understandable reasons of efficacy given we'd not long ago beaten them late on in a game) to take the ball into the corner with 10 minutes to go was especially not entertaining.

For what it's worth I am more entertained at a match where we lose by a goal but it's high tempo with lots of chances for both sides than I am by a match where there was one shot on target all game and we win it. That doesn't mean I don't want Thistle to win, or that I don't enjoy winning more, but enjoyment isn't the same as entertainment.

2 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I have no qualms with them doing that. That's just their job. I have qualms with football being like that.

Fair enough regarding the entertainment comment. Can't say I agree with it though. I've never came away from a saints defeat feeling satisfied I've been satisfactorily entertained. I have however after shitfest 1-0 wins. For what it's worth Thistle fans on here generally seem to be pretty decent.

Just now, The Woolshed said:

Fair enough regarding the entertainment comment. Can't say I agree with it though. I've never came away from a saints defeat feeling satisfied I've been satisfactorily entertained. I have however after shitfest 1-0 wins. For what it's worth Thistle fans on here generally seem to be pretty decent.

See maybe this is a different philosophy on life. I can feel entertained but dissatisfied simultaneously. When the Scottish game lacks the genuine competition at the top, when our national side can't even win playing ugly, and our best young players have to go to England to get anywhere in their development, I think that speaks to a whole approach to the game itself that makes football less fun to watch, and less of a demonstration of flair and skills that bring genuine entertainment to both those that are fans of clubs and to the neutral.

When teams resort to long-ball, head-tennis, negative tactics, it's obviously the smart thing to do if you want to grind-out points, but the whole game suffers for it. And yes, Thistle are far more guilty of this themselves than they were in previous seasons. We've got to find ways to incentivise more creative and positive play to make our professional game something a little bit special. Because otherwise we're paying £22 to watch a slightly faster, slightly less error-strewn version of Huntly v Keith, and fuck paying the equivalent of three cinema tickets for that.

We also need to take responsibility for our part in the game. The second half was woeful and we were as guilty as St Johnstone in that regard. All St Johnstone did was take as long as possible over every set piece and stay down/fall over every now and then, run the ball into the corner. Nothing every team shouldn't do at any level, they're just better at it than most. I do think the referee has to take a bit more responsibility to move things along but if he doesn't do that of course they're going to push it as far as they possibly can.

We on the other hand took off our best (only?) creative attacker, moved back our most creative midfielder into a three man defence when we're chasing the game, took off our next most composed midfielder for a defensive central midfielder, changed a formation that had made us comfortably the better team in the first half, took off our only striker capable of scoring a goal and played a winger at centre forward. We are responsible for our own performance and that second half yesterday was as poor as we've been.

Just now, Virtual Insanity said:

We also need to take responsibility for our part in the game. The second half was woeful and we were as guilty as St Johnstone in that regard. All St Johnstone did was take as long as possible over every set piece and stay down/fall over every now and then, run the ball into the corner. Nothing every team shouldn't do at any level, they're just better at it than most. I do think the referee has to take a bit more responsibility to move things along but if he doesn't do that of course they're going to push it as far as they possibly can.

We on the other hand took off our best (only?) creative attacker, moved back our most creative midfielder into a three man defence when we're chasing the game, took off our most composed midfielder for a defensive central midfielder, changed a formation that had made us comfortably the better team in the first half, took off our only striker capable of scoring a goal and played a winger at centre forward. We are responsible for our own performance and that second half yesterday was as poor as we've been.

Absolutely. The second half was brutal. I can understand why Erskine was taken off (nothing was working for him in the first half and he has those kinds of days) but Lawless was actually less effective than him and should have been hooked, along with Elliott for Dumbuya, after barely 60 minutes.

In fairness Ad Lib, I'd probably pay the fiver or whatever to watch Huntly Keith. The HL is actually relatively entertaining but maybe that's because I have zero interest in the outcome of the match. Whereas in Saints games I have too much vested interest to seperate entertainment and satisfaction.

Archived