Selkirk FC thread

afca32

On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 17:41, newcastle broon said:

They've signed a keeper on amateur forms today. 

6 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Is it Hamish ? 

5 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

:lol: not sure but he did reply on this thread :lol:

Michael Fenton, who featured for GFR's amateur team last season.

Sub-'keeper for Gala in LL few times in autumn 2016, started once AFAICS.

1 hour ago, gogsy said:

Rugby team with that number. Are there any hookers in Selkirk?

:o unfortunately it + Galashiels have hit those headlines much too often recently!

Brothel on Selkirk S6 pupils prank wishlist
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/south_of_scotland/8040116.stm

Former Selkirk businessman jailed for keeping brothel with partner
https://www.thesouthernreporter.co.uk/news/crime/former-selkirk-businessman-jailed-for-keeping-edinburgh-brothel-1-3001597

Galashiels neighbours shock - former Selkirk High School hypnotherapist hooker arrested in Florida sex sting
http://www.bordertelegraph.com/news/16166589.Neighbours__39__shock_as_Galashiels___39_hooker__39__arrested_in_Florida_for_sex_with_14-year-old/

Galashiels couple who ran an internet brothel face jail alongside policewoman they recruited who moonlighted as £100-an-hour hooker
https://www.thesouthernreporter.co.uk/news/galashiels-couple-who-helped-a-policewoman-join-the-vice-squad-admit-prostitution-charges-1-108189

Seedy sex website smears the Borders
http://www.bordertelegraph.com/news/13538961.Seedy_website_smears_the_Borders/

Galashiels sex shop not sexy enough to require licence
Plans for sex shop rejected after campaign

https://www.scotsman.com/news/sex-shop-not-sexy-enough-1-513544

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12447475.Plans_for_sex_shop_rejected/

3 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Good let's hope they get a squad together. 

Having finished 3rd-bottom 2 campaigns ago Uppers rallied to mid-table last season, but look pretty formidable this season - 4 wins from 5.

Lost 3-1 at Vale last edition.

Not much new here:

https://www.thesouthernreporter.co.uk/sport/football/chairman-warns-clock-is-ticking-as-selkirk-strive-to-find-players-1-4788896

Selkirk FC are working hard to construct a team which will hopefully take the field tomorrow (Saturday) in the South Challenge Cup. Interim manager Gordon Rae is making enquiries about available players, although he is not certain what starting line-up he is likely to have. Secretary Sheree Davison is sorting out registration and other formalities for those who could be lining up at home to Upper Annandale – a game which the Souters have to play. Chairman Jay-Dee Sharkey indicated there had been some interest in the last few days from potential players – and indeed, it was confirmed on Twitter in midweek that former Selkirk FC goalkeeper Mikey Fenton had signed on an amateur contract.

But Sharkey warned once again that time was running out and the club really needed help from the community.

Following a disciplinary meeting on Tuesday, the club was fined a total of £500 for failing to fulfil Lowland League fixtures. Half the money must be be paid within 14 days, while the other £250 is suspended – but it will be incurred if Selkirk miss any more league matches. It’s essential that the club finds a team for tomorrow’s game, which is a cup contest. If not, it could face fresh disciplinary measures for being in breach of cup rules, which are different from league regulations. Good wishes and offers of support have continued to trickle in on Facebook, with the club asking for anyone who wants to help it pay the fine, or make other donations, or assist in any way, to get in touch.

Chairman Sharkey reiterated that the club was having to take everything on a day-by-day basis, adding he had a lot to think about, for his own personal reputation and that of the club. He issued another appeal to residents in Selkirk to help save their local football club.

“The club is seeking and asking for help from Selkirk itself – the people of Selkirk,” he said. “A new chairman is in position at the minute, but time is running. “The clock is ticking – my clock is ticking, the club’s clock is ticking and the club’s time is running out very, very, very quickly. “I have tried myself to come in and make things work, tried to open meetings and tried to get people involved. “I am begging people, practically on my knees at times, for someone else’s mistakes – and I shouldn’t have to do that.” He added: “If they (the people of Selkirk) want to see the future of the club and the club still participating in football, then that help needs to come quickly.”

Sharkey, who was elected chairman at Selkirk’s AGM in July, indicated his desire to step down during an open meeting two weeks ago – but knows successors will be very difficult to find. The meeting heard the club owed over £150,000 in total to various firms and individuals, and was pursuing legal action in relation to some of the financial matters

Following on from the tweet in the comments it appears that the Lowland League placed a further £750 bond on top of the £250 fine which they can't pay. Oh, and the Chairman may have quit as well.

EDIT:

The club's finally put out their official cancellation of tomorrow's game. Think i'd prefer Kelty's detailed (albeit some considered biased) approach to social media over trying to pass of the cliched "unforeseen circumstances" line.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

4 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The club's finally put out their official cancellation of tomorrow's game. Think i'd prefer Kelty's detailed (albeit some considered biased) approach to social media over trying to pass of the cliched "unforeseen circumstances" line.

Would be good for the club to come out at the end of it all and explain how they got themselves into this situation...

Edited by Ginaro

Would be good for the club to come at the end of it all and explain how they got themselves into this situation...

In all the shambolocly run clubs have any given a good explanation officially(including my own)?

Best luck to Selkirk but with the chairman leaving I can't see the committee lasting til the end of September and with no formal administration taking place (unless someone corrects me I'll assume they are like most at this level and have no incorporated level beyond members club) then I'd place good money on the Selkirk vics playing the next game representing the town in the pyramid structure.

3 minutes ago, Currahee! said:

Over 100 people watched Selkirk Vics v Gala on Tuesday.  All down to locals playing. Says it all really

When Eyemouth had the Eos and the ammie team, I remember counting 5 watching the toonie based Eos team and 100 watching the ammies. Whole family’s would turn out, kids playing at the side of the pitch, banter, good craic, always a good atmosphere. Borders folk are funny, cleeky fuckers and we don’t like toonies  :lol:

12 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

When Eyemouth had the Eos and the ammie team, I remember counting 5 watching the toonie based Eos team and 100 watching the ammies. Whole family’s would turn out, kids playing at the side of the pitch, banter, good craic, always a good atmosphere. Borders folk are funny, cleeky fuckers and we don’t like toonies  :lol:

There’s just one problem Heed ... it would appear yous are hopeless at fitba :D

PS ... Up the Reds :D

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

3 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

There’s just one problem Heed ... it would appear yous are hopeless at fitba :D

PS ... Up the Reds :D

True, but I’d rather watch a local Eyemouth team (getting hee haw and having to pay a £10er every week for the privilege to play) knocking their pan in, but getting pumped, than watch a bunch of fucking overpaid  arrogant toonies who are only there to coin it in and don’t really give a f**k for the town. As I’ve said, we’re a strange bunch imo doon here  :P

ps....... it’s your year  ;)