Forfar v Elgin

I wasn't there today but Elgin were decent up at Borough Briggs so draw doesn't surprise me.Every week no one makes progress on us is a win really.Arbroath still 1 point further away than 2 weeks ago despite excellent form.

Forfar were better team first half and could have had a few goals but second half never in it,Elgin pass it well but lack a cutting edge at times,draw right result

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Bogs_Dollox said:

Exactly what we were saying leaving the ground. Keeps Elgin at bay too. Coxy was fucked after 3/4 of the game and some of our passing choices were suicidal. A game of 2 halves today id say.

Impressed with Elgin knocked it about well

Cliche game of 2 halves is spot on.

We were by far and away the better side in the first 45 restricting the Elgin goal machine to some long range efforts. and we should have gone in at half time more than the 1 goal up.

Swankie's early injury in the 2nd half seemed to swing things Elgin's way and they battled hard to deservedly get back in the game and probably feel agreived not to have got all 3 points.

Over the 90 though, a draw probably fair.

As has been said before, we ruled the first half and Elgin dominated the first 35 minutes of the second. Last ten minutes it was anybody's. Happy with the draw and still a healthy nine point lead at the top. Elgin have impressed me in the two games I've seen them and are, based on that, the best team we have faced in the league. I was not impressed by their "Man Utd style" crowding of the referee (typical Jim Weir though, or their "hands on" approach, Shielding the ball with your torso is fine but arms across your opponent is not, nor is pushing and shirt pulling. No complaints with either red card.

All in all, a better result for the Loons than for Elgin.

34 minutes ago, theSilverFox said:

As has been said before, we ruled the first half and Elgin dominated the first 35 minutes of the second. Last ten minutes it was anybody's. Happy with the draw and still a healthy nine point lead at the top. Elgin have impressed me in the two games I've seen them and are, based on that, the best team we have faced in the league. I was not impressed by their "Man Utd style" crowding of the referee (typical Jim Weir though, or their "hands on" approach, Shielding the ball with your torso is fine but arms across your opponent is not, nor is pushing and shirt pulling. No complaints with either red card.

All in all, a better result for the Loons than for Elgin.

Aye, their number 3 was a complete gobshite throughout the entire game, I cannot believe the ref didn't book him for the constant nagging.  This behaviour was meant to be clamped down on by the refs this season.

I've got to agree with Elgin being the best we've faced this season, every point we've got from them this season has been hard fought for.

3 hours ago, Loondave1 said:

I wasn't there today but Elgin were decent up at Borough Briggs so draw doesn't surprise me.Every week no one makes progress on us is a win really.Arbroath still 1 point further away than 2 weeks ago despite excellent form.

Loving your nervy logic there Loondave...we can smell the fear:)

The game changed when Swankie went off I felt, but not mainly because he departed but replacing him with Lister left us the very lazy partnership of Peters / Lister up top and no pressure on the Elgin defence.

Thought it was a good game with plenty decent football, Elgin are very good team and suspect that was a good point for Forfar today.

Lister is the obvious subbie for Peters, both on at the same time is not so good at the moment.
Cox being knackered doing the brunt of the donkey work up front then getting pulled back and expected to do a midfield role after the red was probably way too much of an ask of his stamina.

Lister is the obvious subbie for Peters, both on at the same time is not so good at the moment.
Cox being knackered doing the brunt of the donkey work up front then getting pulled back and expected to do a midfield role after the red was probably way too much of an ask of his stamina.
cox was knackered second half due to putting in a hell of a shift first half . What a man what a player

1 hour ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Think he'll get it alright but i'll be voting for TOB.

For me, TOB's the only other contender to be honest.  Travis putting in the shifts at centre back might make a late challenge but missing half the season will almost certainly rule him out.  Surprised he lost the captain band though.

That said, our worst player this season might have made POTY last season, pretty much every guy that's pulled on the strip has put in a quality shift for us this stint.

Went to this game yesterday with a couple of Forfar fans good game for me being a neutral, Forfar could have been 2 or 3 up half time and Elgin the best side second half  but in the end a draw just about right. The antic of the Elgin players surrounding the ref is a disgrace no idea why he just did not book a couple of them.

Thouroughly enjoyed game. Impressed by Forfar 1st half, first to everything, looked a very strong and physical side with Cox outstanding. Happy it was only 1 0 HT. Second half our midfield dominated, possibly because Cox was knackered and faded. Cracking goal from Soapy, great technique. Draw in the end probably about right. Both red cards spot on. Apart from that thought ref made a rod for himself early on by allowing goal which looked a foul on goalie and then booked 2 for first challenges. This wound up Elgin players and prob resulted in them surrounding Ref as their appeared no consistency in his decisions. Anyhow cracking day out.

23 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Thouroughly enjoyed game. Impressed by Forfar 1st half, first to everything, looked a very strong and physical side with Cox outstanding. Happy it was only 1 0 HT. Second half our midfield dominated, possibly because Cox was knackered and faded. Cracking goal from Soapy, great technique. Draw in the end probably about right. Both red cards spot on. Apart from that thought ref made a rod for himself early on by allowing goal which looked a foul on goalie and then booked 2 for first challenges. This wound up Elgin players and prob resulted in them surrounding Ref as their appeared no consistency in his decisions. Anyhow cracking day out.

From a neutral at the game referee did fine, personally did not think it was a foul on the goalie maybe the hightlights will shed some light on this. The constant whining from Elgin especially numbers 3 & 7 for the whole match was pathetic and the ref should have booked them both for it. But it was a good game to watch and I enjoyed my day at Station Park

2 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:

From a neutral at the game referee did fine, personally did not think it was a foul on the goalie maybe the hightlights will shed some light on this. The constant whining from Elgin especially numbers 3 & 7 for the whole match was pathetic and the ref should have booked them both for it. But it was a good game to watch and I enjoyed my day at Station Park

Enjoyed that too. At half time I thought Forfar were going to win comfortably. What happened there?

Agree about the behaviour of some of the Elgin players, ridiculous and unwarranted.

What a pest Cox is. Wish we had a player like that.

Only a few of things to add.
Danny should have either squared it or finished it in the first couple of minutes of the second half. That would have been the game.
Malone was an idiot to get drawn into that challenge. He obviously fancies more than a week off.
For all of us who were screaming for Hodge to be sent off last week, there must have been a collective holding of breath after the new left back put in that one-leg-studs-up challenge.
GB almost cost us that result when he didn't go like for like after Swankie was injured. His desire to get the "big" names on instead of replacing the position is starting to really irk with me. Dragging Coxy (who was again causing their back line all kinds of problems) back to the wing was just wrong.

3 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

For me, TOB's the only other contender to be honest.  Travis putting in the shifts at centre back might make a late challenge but missing half the season will almost certainly rule him out.  Surprised he lost the captain band though.

That said, our worst player this season might have made POTY last season, pretty much every guy that's pulled on the strip has put in a quality shift for us this stint.

Cox had a quiet first quarter of the season when he was out on the wing while TOB has been immense either in midfield or at centre half.

Archived