Rangers v Gretna

Are there any parallels between the 2 clubs. From starting in the bottom league, rising quickly, losing cup finals. We all know how it ended for Gretna with an egocentric money man failing to continue funding his hobby before sadly passing. I'm not saying dave king is ill but his £20M wasn't forthcoming in January (in his defense he may be keeping it to pay joe garners goalscoring bonuses, very prudent)

Don't see it as weird - a little cash goes a long way down the divisions. Gretna's sole issue was they had a lone backer who when gravely ill had no back-up plan and his family saw the club's wage bill etc as a dead loss so pulled the plug.

The resurrected RFC could have followed a similar model if they'd so chosen, paying decent lower league players £500 p/w to get out of the 3rd Division. However their collective ego wouldn't allow for it, hence stupid money was hurled at average top flight players e.g. the story of Kevin Kyle, told by himself, of giving Fat Ally his inflated demands, with the clumpany ending up offering him prettty much what he was asking for!

"It's not the players' fault, because somebody stupid somewhere along the line offered them that money," he said.

"I go back to my situation where I went in there having been injured for 18 months and the wife said to me: 'what do you expect to get out of Rangers if they offer you a deal?'

"I said about £500-£600 per week, I would be quite happy with that as I had been out of the game and just wanted back in.

"I sat down with the manager and he asked what I was looking for and I just said a crazy figure and I almost got what I wanted.

"Looking back now, maybe he would want to do things differently. Over the course of a year, it was something about £100,000 with various bonuses."

"I know some of the figures some of the guys were getting and it was just stupid - it was laughable at times," he added.

"A few of the guys I used to play with, you're talking about £300,000 to £400,000 per year playing in the Third Division of Scottish football with money rising depending on appearances and bonuses."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30524862

16 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Don't see it as weird - a little cash goes a long way down the divisions. Gretna's sole issue was they had a lone backer who when gravely ill had no back-up plan and his family saw the club's wage bill etc as a dead loss so pulled the plug.

Gretna's problem was that they allowed Brooks Mileson to take over more & more of the running of the club than any sane organisation would have allowed. It does have to be said that a lot of it came to be because when he did take over things, they did work better, but as anyone running a small business knows, the more you become dependent on one person shouldering the workload, the greater the prospects for disaster should they become incapacitated. When Mileson was taken to hospital with a brain infection & was ruled by a doctor as incompetent to handle his own affairs, it was exactly the excuse his son & wife needed to apply for Power of Attorney & abruptly pull the plug on what was draining their nest egg (& a few others besides).

For what it's worth, my take is that the replacement & later death of Ian Dalgleish - Gretna's original chairman - was where it all went wrong. Even when Ron MacGregor & his wife Helen were appointed by Mileston diktat as Chairman & Club Secretary & the old committee running the club disbanded, Dalgleish was the one restraining influence over Mileson & the focus for those urging "forward, but not too fast". From that point on it was simply a matter of "if" but "when" - the MacGregors had little clue & cared even less as to what was going on, so long as they were being well salaried for it.

the story of Kevin Kyle, told by himself, of giving Fat Ally his inflated demands, with the clumpany ending up offering him prettty much what he was asking for!
"It's not the players' fault, because somebody stupid somewhere along the line offered them that money," he said.
"I go back to my situation where I went in there having been injured for 18 months and the wife said to me: 'what do you expect to get out of Rangers if they offer you a deal?'
"I said about £500-£600 per week, I would be quite happy with that as I had been out of the game and just wanted back in.
"I sat down with the manager and he asked what I was looking for and I just said a crazy figure and I almost got what I wanted.
"Looking back now, maybe he would want to do things differently. Over the course of a year, it was something about £100,000 with various bonuses."
"I know some of the figures some of the guys were getting and it was just stupid - it was laughable at times," he added.
"A few of the guys I used to play with, you're talking about £300,000 to £400,000 per year playing in the Third Division of Scottish football with money rising depending on appearances and bonuses."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30524862

Wow. What an actual minter.

3 hours ago, Ken Fitlike said:

away win

Postponed because Rangers could not handle playing Gretna and Lyon in the course of a week, IIRC. Then despite having pumped them 3-0 in France were themselves pumped 3-0 at home and missed-out on CL knockouts. League game was postponed at least once more and contributed to a fixture backlog some claim "cost Rangers the league"...

On the Gretna point: people should remember they spent a few perfectly sustainable years in SFL3 before Mileson came in. Some talk as if he bankrolled them into SFL itself, not so.

The real comparison between the 2 clubs is that the Gretna newco had to start way down the football pyramid unlike sevco who were fast tracked into the league system.Indeed if it weren't for the other clubs listening to their fans the pretendgers would have started in the top division.

23 hours ago, Owsley said:

Joe Garner's supposed to be on £12k a week, am I right? They truly deserve to go bust again.

They deserved to go bust when they stayed in a 4 star hotel in Carnoustie the night before a game against Forfar and when questioned about why they did that McCoist replied, "We are Rangers Football Club".

It's open goal opportunities like that to absolutely slate that attitude and quiz him over whether he could remember where that sort of mindset landed Rangers Mk 1 that pisses me off about the brown nosed, shitebag journalists in the Scottish media.

Their fans were a bunch of cunts when they were winning. Their sense of entitlement was outrageous.
Utterly delusional that their club was a hollow shell and the entire thing was a unsustainable sham propped up by one rich man with a dream.

Gretna fans were like that too, utterly blind to where they were headed.

Ah, Gretna, signed a load of players on the whim of an egocentric owner, on wages they couldnt sustain while the media lapped it up before the house of cards came crashing down and they were liquidated and died, coming back a few months later as a new successor to the club who died.

And Rangers who.....ach im not repeating myself !

Gretna win on account of having had Steve Tosh, some boy.

Was it him who got offered more money by Gretna in the Third Division than Aberdeen?

Archived