Blast From The Past!

5 hours ago, milton75 said:

The adverts for those are ridiculous.

:(

In Kilmarnock, we had "Food Giant":

maxresdefault.jpg

It was cheap as chips and their standard (free in those days) carrier bag was as strong as steel.  Was a bit of a smelly place to do a shop, but sold this at around 10p a bottle if I remember right:

Cresta_Lemonade_2_Litre.jpg

ASDA moved into the town which pretty much sealed Food Giant's fate.  Strange really, as ASDA was about 25% more expensive, although they had a much better selection of groceries, with the added 'enticement' of their clothing and home range.  Maybe reflective of less austere times in the town.

Food Giant might actually be successful if they relaunched now, but they'd be competing against Aldi and Lidl.

Anyone else have a Food Giant?

14 hours ago, hellbhoy said:

Here is a pic of a BMX bike I loved and cared for, a Raliegh Pro Burner. The stunts, the bumps, the bruises and good times. Was like that when first bought but added loadsa cool stuff like that laid back seat post that broke and shredded my brothers rear end and nutsack. You can see in the pic how and why his nut sack got sucked into the space between the tyre and brake. :)

JTBLUE.jpg

Mine had yellow plastic spokes, you must've had the posh version.

Remember a few mates that had hand me down grifters which weighed a ton and usually had broken gears.

God, Hale and Pace were fucking shite.

They were brilliant at the time. Sunday nights were great back then for 11 year old me. Londons Burning, Spitting Image, Hale & Pace then telt to get the telly off cos I had school in the morning.

The Billy & Johnny sketches weren't Hale & Pace's best work to be fair.

9 hours ago, CLANCY2KTID said:

There was always someone sat up the back of the class sporting this little number as wrist wear.

Teachers trying to show educational videos spontaneously combusting up and the down country.

mAK-ZHyXCB2LGqi0pSpQOvg.jpg

9 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

The more courteous students would be sporting one of these:

b8472d1130290063e7a24b19819d1483.jpg

39_1_b.JPG

I was very envious of kids who had these:

il_570xN.452532779_9j9g.jpg

vintage-transformers-jet-plane-watch_1_0

5 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

In Kilmarnock, we had "Food Giant":

maxresdefault.jpg

It was cheap as chips and their standard (free in those days) carrier bag was as strong as steel.  Was a bit of a smelly place to do a shop, but sold this at around 10p a bottle if I remember right:

Cresta_Lemonade_2_Litre.jpg

ASDA moved into the town which pretty much sealed Food Giant's fate.  Strange really, as ASDA was about 25% more expensive, although they had a much better selection of groceries, with the added 'enticement' of their clothing and home range.  Maybe reflective of less austere times in the town.

Food Giant might actually be successful if they relaunched now, but they'd be competing against Aldi and Lidl.

Anyone else have a Food Giant?

No Food Giant. In Stirling we had a Gateway and Tesco. I also remember some shit Freezer shops, Bejam and Capital. Not sure where they were. 

6 hours ago, bennett said:

Mine had yellow plastic spokes, you must've had the posh version.

Remember a few mates that had hand me down grifters which weighed a ton and usually had broken gears.

Ah, so you had either the Mag Burner or the Tuff Burner depending on the make of the wheels. That bike of mine weighed in at less than 10 pounds and you could lift it with a pinky.

Yeah I also got hand me down Grifters as well before getting that bad boy Burner. The trouble with Grifters though when jumping off ramps is that the frame could at any second snap into two parts. :lol: