Blast From The Past!

5 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

They were brilliant at the time. Sunday nights were great back then for 11 year old me. Londons Burning, Spitting Image, Hale & Pace then telt to get the telly off cos I had school in the morning.

The Billy & Johnny sketches weren't Hale & Pace's best work to be fair.

Spitting image was the dugs baws man, that effigy of Maggie Thatcher blasting out her orders was a funny as it got back in the 80's. :lol:

Which brings me to getting bathed on a Sunday in the 70's in time for the Muppet Show. :wub: Shame I had to use the filthy pished in water my big bro used before me because ma maw was living in the Broon's or something close to or similar. :bairn

Anyone remember Rivets Iron Brew? Launched to much fanfare in the mid 90s IIRC and like all pretenders to the crown, tasted like fizzy spicy soap. Truly disgusting. Does anyone even bother trying to rip off Irn Bru anymore?

Eta http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12732829.Battle_brews_in_the_soft_drinks_market/

GTF rivets dobbers

Aye I remember it. Left your throat rasping like you'd just downed a bottle of battery acid.

ETA: Tasted fucking rotten anaw.

8 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

In Kilmarnock, we had "Food Giant":

maxresdefault.jpg

It was cheap as chips and their standard (free in those days) carrier bag was as strong as steel.  Was a bit of a smelly place to do a shop, but sold this at around 10p a bottle if I remember right:

Cresta_Lemonade_2_Litre.jpg

ASDA moved into the town which pretty much sealed Food Giant's fate.  Strange really, as ASDA was about 25% more expensive, although they had a much better selection of groceries, with the added 'enticement' of their clothing and home range.  Maybe reflective of less austere times in the town.

Food Giant might actually be successful if they relaunched now, but they'd be competing against Aldi and Lidl.

Anyone else have a Food Giant?

Haha, Food Gadgie as it was loving nicknamed locally.

They didn't even have a proper shelving system, basically just rolled the pallets into makeshift aisles and took the cellophane off. Was the closest supermarket to my house, mind my mum used to head over and tell us to time 20-25 minutes then jump the back fence to help her lug the monthly shop home.

In Kilmarnock, we had "Food Giant":

maxresdefault.jpg

It was cheap as chips and their standard (free in those days) carrier bag was as strong as steel.  Was a bit of a smelly place to do a shop, but sold this at around 10p a bottle if I remember right:
Cresta_Lemonade_2_Litre.jpg

ASDA moved into the town which pretty much sealed Food Giant's fate.  Strange really, as ASDA was about 25% more expensive, although they had a much better selection of groceries, with the added 'enticement' of their clothing and home range.  Maybe reflective of less austere times in the town.
Food Giant might actually be successful if they relaunched now, but they'd be competing against Aldi and Lidl.
Anyone else have a Food Giant?

In the late 90s my father had a chance meeting in Food Giant with the sister of a guy who'd played for St Mirren in the 50s. He saw fit to reproduce this occasion as an anecdote about two years ago. I'm still not sure why.

Also, as soon as I read the name I instantly thought carrier bags. I'm fairly sure I heard they were bulletproof.

20 hours ago, Kennboy1978 said:

Jonny Briggs sister, Sue Devaney.

Going by her IMDB page, it looks like I mainly remember her from this blast from the past...(and possibly Coronation Street)...

Dental carnage from the 80's & 90's:

cb08d8416e38075b1a0d1a86125d3c9d.jpg

41f5fff3767cd423e576cd8c00cfb55b.jpg

c7e8ce2be7ce47ccf7fd72430a5cf803.jpg

beb86973a4c713eaf421d755b155ecff.jpg

8fe6f60ebb1981f00a1427960b2293f1.jpg

There was a rumour went around my school that if you ate 10 packets of Jolly Ranchers you'd get steaming. Think it started because someone read the ingredients and found out a packet contained 0.01% alcohol or something like that [emoji1]

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Flicks in Brechin by the way....???? Whit.

I've genuinely never heard of this and can't even think of a building big enough in Brechin that looks anything like that building.

Where was it and why the f**k was Pete Waterman there and on the TV?

It was this building here on Brechin High Street

BrechinFlicks.jpg

It was a trendsetting nightclub in the late 80s, early 90s. It had a futuristic laser light show and there would be buses from all over going there at weekends. There were often chart topping stars playing gigs there. In fact they would usually stay in the Park Hotel in Montrose. I was having a meal in there once and Sonia was sitting at the next table.

It went bust in the mid 90s. It reopened as Arena for a while, but it was pish.

BrechinFlicks.jpg
It was a trendsetting nightclub in the late 80s, early 90s. It had a futuristic laser light show and there would be buses from all over going there at weekends. There were often chart topping stars playing gigs there. In fact they would usually stay in the Park Hotel in Montrose. I was having a meal in there once and Sonia was sitting at the next table.

Wow. :lol:

First time I've heard of Flicks, in the same week a bounty hunter goes to Hudsons on the tv and shows everybody what it's like now.

Some fall from grace the nightlife in Brechin has had.

5 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Was this about the time of the Hitman and Her? Waterman, Michaela Strachan and Clive.

Yeah, it was around that time. I reckon Flicks got left behind when the rave scene became fashionable and people were going  to the Rezurection etc instead.

Decent wee article about it here...

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/2014/06/04/back-to-the-80s-how-flicks-nightclub-in-brechin-high-street-found-itself-at-the-forefront-of-popular-culture/

BrechinFlicks.jpg

Wow. Suddenly that X Factor burd playing a gig in Peterhead doesn't seem quite so amusing!