Blast From The Past!

The Capri looks good but any pics of this early 80s Penelope Pitstop aunt? 
My dad's was a company car. He was reading his options list of Marinas, Cortinas, Ambassadors etc and "Capri" jumped out at him. 

[emoji23]. Naw. Recollections are that around the time of the Capri she was very tall, slim, with long black hair and liked a skinny flared jean. And had a face like a welders bench.

My Dad had one of these . A Cortina GT I think. Went by the photos online. It had some souped up engine.

Now a cracking car you'd think. Well maybe when new but it was 10 years old and I got ripped for it. In hindsight it was a cracker no matter the age but at the time it didn't seem that way.

It made some sound though.

ford-cortina-mk1-gt-image640-1-6.jpg

_76_20Morris_20Marina.jpg

This is the first car I remember my dad having.  Same vomit colour.  The mighty Marina Estate (an automatic).  It had faux leather seats that would heat up to somewhere around 4,000,000c if left in direct sunshine, that would become one with young KnightswoodBear's thighs at a molecular level should he unsuspectingly jump in the car wearing shorts.

Even as a youngster I was aware that it was a badly built, poorly designed heap of shite.

5 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I remember my old man buying a red Triumph Dolomite with leather seats.  Our first car with a fold down arm rest in the back. The lap of luxury.

After that he went and bought a fucking Mini Metro.

Haha my dad seemed to have a different car twice a year..

An old Rover with suicide doors seems to have stuck in my mind as well. Leather seats etc. 

Funny thing was we'd get pelters for the cars he had while the folk dishing it out had FCK all. 

11 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

This is the first car I remember my dad having.  Same vomit colour.  The mighty Marina Estate (an automatic).  It had faux leather seats that would heat up to somewhere around 4,000,000c if left in direct sunshine, that would become one with young KnightswoodBear's thighs at a molecular level should he unsuspectingly jump in the car wearing shorts.

Even as a youngster I was aware that it was a badly built, poorly designed heap of shite.

Oh aye, the old skin sticking to plastic. Sore one like 

49 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

My dad had a white Marina Estate that rusted to death within a year or two (got a silver cortina as replacement). His fleet boss thought it was his fault somehow but it was, as you say, a heap of shite. 

Eta, it was still a treat getting to travel in the boot with the dog. 

Edited by Shandon Par

7 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Did anyone watch Ghostwatch, the pseudo-documentary the BBC made in the 90s? If you missed the bit where they told you it was a hoax, it was genuinely terrifying. 

It's never been repeated due to one guy committing suicide as a result of it. Myself, I watched it and couldn't sleep for days. I imagined that I was about 12 when I watched it, but going by the transmission date, I was actually 15 which is faintly embarrassing. 

I remember watching this at the time I had no idea it was a hoax, can honestly say it is the most terrified I have ever been in my life. I also suffered the sleepless nights from it, it was always the part with the camera panning round and seeing a shadow in the window that popped into my head.

Edited by thomas

The old man had a lot of cars- he used to buy bangers and enjoyed tinkering about with them. A bit like Wesley in "Last of the Summer Wine". Anyway what I can remember:

daf33.jpg.387276b2e4d750aa7e89dd1c4314b714.jpg

various Dafs- one was quite old, had a black and white number plate and the ignition was in the middle of the dashboard. My mate called one car "the washing machine". Mind you he said his Dad had a BMW. When I said "He's got a Morris Marina" he said "Aye, BMW- that stands for British Motor Wreck" 

58add9c0b1ad7_fiatmirafiori.jpg.101158fdc3603a695e2ec36a315bde7e.jpg

then he had a Fiat Miraflori- the "Spaghetti Burner" as it was dubbed. I liked that car.

skoda.thumb.jpg.0b35f95465602181f8f2a870cce946f9.jpg

then a brick red Skoda Estelle. Not as awful as you might think and it took us to Weston Super Mare for summer holidays one year. Weird having the engine in the back though. 

58adda90dff1c_renault4.thumb.jpg.f1b194198a98bea0e0da0b3be2454509.jpg

then a Renault 4 which almost tipped over in the wind going past the Shotts Transmitters on the M8 on the way to the Garden Festival....

58addad436773_nissanmicra.jpg.af3d2747cbdc242afcdb33927161338c.jpg

then a boxy Nissan Micra- I learned to drive on that. 

His last car was a Renault Clio which just shows that the quality of second (or third) hand cars is improving... 
As for me I've kind of followed in his footsteps- Renault 5, Skoda Favorit, Peugeot 106, Nissan Micra, newer type Nissan Micra and Citreon C3. ...

10 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

The old man had a lot of cars- he used to buy bangers and enjoyed tinkering about with them. A bit like Wesley in "Last of the Summer Wine". Anyway what I can remember:

daf33.jpg.387276b2e4d750aa7e89dd1c4314b714.jpg

various Dafs- one was quite old, had a black and white number plate and the ignition was in the middle of the dashboard. My mate called one car "the washing machine". Mind you he said his Dad had a BMW. When I said "He's got a Morris Marina" he said "Aye, BMW- that stands for British Motor Wreck" 

58add9c0b1ad7_fiatmirafiori.jpg.101158fdc3603a695e2ec36a315bde7e.jpg

then he had a Fiat Miraflori- the "Spaghetti Burner" as it was dubbed. I liked that car.

skoda.thumb.jpg.0b35f95465602181f8f2a870cce946f9.jpg

then a brick red Skoda Estelle. Not as awful as you might think and it took us to Weston Super Mare for summer holidays one year. Weird having the engine in the back though. 

58adda90dff1c_renault4.thumb.jpg.f1b194198a98bea0e0da0b3be2454509.jpg

then a Renault 4 which almost tipped over in the wind going past the Shotts Transmitters on the M8 on the way to the Garden Festival....

58addad436773_nissanmicra.jpg.af3d2747cbdc242afcdb33927161338c.jpg

then a boxy Nissan Micra- I learned to drive on that. 

His last car was a Renault Clio which just shows that the quality of second (or third) hand cars is improving... 
As for me I've kind of followed in his footsteps- Renault 5, Skoda Favorit, Peugeot 106, Nissan Micra, newer type Nissan Micra and Citreon C3. ...

Way more impressive than that c**t Chris Evan's collection imo.

11 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Did anyone watch Ghostwatch, the pseudo-documentary the BBC made in the 90s? If you missed the bit where they told you it was a hoax, it was genuinely terrifying. 

It's never been repeated due to one guy committing suicide as a result of it. Myself, I watched it and couldn't sleep for days. I imagined that I was about 12 when I watched it, but going by the transmission date, I was actually 15 which is faintly embarrassing. 

I watched this with a mate and at the end of the show, my TV turned off on its own. We fucking shat a brick. And ran out of the house I was mid teens.

It was only next day I recalled while messing around with the settings i set the sleep timer for that particular time for no reason 

Never used a sleep timer since