Dumbarton V Ayr United 18/2/17

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

We definitely don't seem to be getting the best out of him. He needs a free role, and he needs players making runs ahead of him.

Hopefully El alagui will add some good movement and either mcdaid or Moore can be running off him.

That means playing him in centre mid or behind the forward, and since McCall looks like playing Moore & Alagui both upfront, and Doc & Adams in the centre, there's not really any place for him but out on the wing. He's a bit of a luxury we can't afford at the moment.

That means playing him in centre mid or behind the forward, and since McCall looks like playing Moore & Alagui both upfront, and Doc & Adams in the centre, there's not really any place for him but out on the wing. He's a bit of a luxury we can't afford at the moment.

I'd have him in a free role behind the front two, but drifting out to whatever wing mcdaid isn't on. Devlin is stronger than any left back option and just tell Adams to be aware of whatever flank is vulnerable.

Also tell Moore to pull off on that flank when harkins has wondered. It can be covered.

Harkins needs the ball. He's a pretty ineffective wide midfielder unless he's on the ball a lot. Lots of wee touches, wee flicks. He's the type that when he's heavily involved he becomes very influential. He can dominate a team if he gets his confidence up.

2 hours ago, sanny said:

Excellent tackle and build up play by Devlin for Ayr's second, and the one-two with Moore on the deck was sublime....anyway looking forward to back to back home matches against Saint's and Raith...with TWO strikers up front....:thumsup2

Devlin's tackle is how you do it. He's a fantastic player, surprised nobody has tried to buy him.

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

Devlin's tackle is how you do it. He's a fantastic player, surprised nobody has tried to buy him.

An unknown Premiership team offered him a contract in the summer but the boy loves the Ayr so turned them down. I heard it was Thistle but never confirmed. 

Having the benefit of now seeing the highlights, my opinion on the red card hasn't changed. In fact it's worse than I initially thought. It's two footed. It's out of control. It's dangerous. Take your pick. There's been some very decent and fair debate since the end of the game but it's utterly laughable and embarrassing that some Ayr fans are claiming it wasn't a red card.

Two good goals for us, first one a great hit from Stanton. Unlucky not to get his hat trick with the chance at the far post from I think Stirling's cross, but credit to Harkins, great clearance just before the line.

For the penalty it's hard to say what contact there was, but Darren Barr has got to do better. He's stuck a leg out and you're giving the player an option then. I'd be screaming for it had it been at the other end, so can't really argue with it.

Great challenge from Nicky Devlin to win the ball back for the Ayr equaliser, but I can't help but place a bit of blame on Daniel Harvie for the equaliser. Once Nicky Devlin has won the ball, all Daniel Harvie has to to is bring him down, and we're talking about a well-deserved win and three points. It's one of those that would be deemed a 'good foul' but he's let Devlin go round him and we know the rest.

Still so disappointing and it feels like a defeat, but Stevie spoke well after the game and it's now imperative that we don't let it affect us and get dragged down further because we're definitely good enough, it's easy to see from the game that we are, we just need to be a bit more clever in those positions.

1 hour ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Having the benefit of now seeing the highlights, my opinion on the red card hasn't changed. In fact it's worse than I initially thought. It's two footed. It's out of control. It's dangerous. Take your pick. There's been some very decent and fair debate since the end of the game but it's utterly laughable and embarrassing that some Ayr fans are claiming it wasn't a red card.

Two good goals for us, first one a great hit from Stanton. Unlucky not to get his hat trick with the chance at the far post from I think Stirling's cross, but credit to Harkins, great clearance just before the line.

For the penalty it's hard to say what contact there was, but Darren Barr has got to do better. He's stuck a leg out and you're giving the player an option then. I'd be screaming for it had it been at the other end, so can't really argue with it.

Great challenge from Nicky Devlin to win the ball back for the Ayr equaliser, but I can't help but place a bit of blame on Daniel Harvie for the equaliser. Once Nicky Devlin has won the ball, all Daniel Harvie has to to is bring him down, and we're talking about a well-deserved win and three points. It's one of those that would be deemed a 'good foul' but he's let Devlin go round him and we know the rest.

Still so disappointing and it feels like a defeat, but Stevie spoke well after the game and it's now imperative that we don't let it affect us and get dragged down further because we're definitely good enough, it's easy to see from the game that we are, we just need to be a bit more clever in those positions.

Have a word with yourself.

The Docherty tackle in today's climate is a definite RED however 5 years ago he wouldn't have been booked as he won the ball. The biggest problem is the inconsistency shown by referees and I honestly believe that players and supporters alike aren't sure anymore of what's legal and what's not. You could also argue that the Craig Moore challenge last week at Somerset was a straight Red but it wasn't even blown for as a foul. We also have the issue where 2 players go for a 50/50 with high feet and it seems the one who get's there first tends to be penalised when in fact it should be the other way around.

The bottom line is that "going in hard" risks a Red card and it appears the authorities want football to evolve towards a non contact sport. Nobody wants to see players being stretchered off with serious injuries however the day we take tackling out the game is the day we should switch the lights off.

I probably won't come across as popular for holding these views, however footballers are paid well enough and insured to risk a little kick here and there and maybe they should look at guys like Ryan Hatch and Freddie Tylicki to see what "putting your body on the line" actually means..........

Archived