Dumbarton V Ayr United 18/2/17

The biggest problem is the inconsistency shown by referees and I honestly believe that players and supporters alike aren't sure anymore of what's legal and what's not.

The bottom line is that "going in hard" risks a Red card and it appears the authorities want football to evolve towards a non contact sport. Nobody wants to see players being stretchered off with serious injuries however the day we take tackling out the game is the day we should switch the lights off.

I probably won't come across as popular for holding these views, however footballers are paid well enough and insured to risk a little kick here and there and maybe they should look at guys like Ryan Hatch and Freddie Tylicki to see what "putting your body on the line" actually means..........

On your first and second points, I tend to agree to an extent. But while it's a fair and interesting point you make, it's not a valid one in the case of Docherty's challenge (I'm not sure if you're linking the two, but just in case). It was reckless and is a definite red card.

A little kick here and there is and should be part of the game, as are a tactical foul or a bit of physicality on aerial challenges etc, but again, there's no link in that point to Docherty's challenge whatsoever.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No I agree, as stated it was a deserved Red card in the context of the current rules. I just think we're beginning to treat football generally as a game for jessies. (Yes, I know, not politically correct and cue the seethe from the young Glasgow Uni team).

If we're seriously looking to cut down serious injuries, then rather than ban tackling we should be looking at bringing back leather football boots which offer some protection as opposed to the plastic yellow coloured fashion accessories that we now call boots. I've also noticed that we seem to have gone away from shin pads which offer ankle support and protection in favour of the plastic shinpads that 10 year olds used to wear with their favourite club name emblazoned across them, but of course which offered little to no protection.

As usual in life the authorities don't appear to have a clue or indeed any inclination as to what the paying customer wants.....

Just now, WATTOO said:

No I agree, as stated it was a deserved Red card in the context of the current rules. I just think we're beginning to treat football generally as a game for jessies. (Yes, I know, not politically correct and cue the seethe from the young Glasgow Uni team).

If we're seriously looking to cut down serious injuries, then rather than ban tackling we should be looking at bringing back leather football boots which offer some protection as opposed to the plastic yellow coloured fashion accessories that we now call boots. I've also noticed that we seem to have gone away from shin pads which offer ankle support and protection in favour of the plastic shinpads that 10 year olds used to wear with their favourite club name emblazoned across them, but of course which offered little to no protection.

As usual in life the authorities don't appear to have a clue or indeed any inclination as to what the paying customer wants.....

I don't mean to be rude here, but you're quite old, aren't you? I feel like my Granda has discovered P&B :lol:

I will join in with you to an extent though. A few weeks back a referee in one of my own games told me "contact is a foul". I was livid. There needs to be a line between being it being ok to use your strength and not fly in to endanger an opponent. Football nowadays is far, far quicker than it used to be when it was played by guys who had fags at half-time, and spent every day at the pub - and so that needs to be brought into account when we're looking at the changes in tackling laws. I also think it is good to give guys like Stirling (and only using him as an example here) a wee bit of protection, so that some big jobber doesn't just come in and end his season because he nutmegged him a few times.

Anyway, there will be a thread for this sort of stuff somewhere.

Spoiler

I wear luminous green and yellow boots, and also have a pair of pink ones. H8rs gonna h8.

Docherty's tackle had an element of malice aforethought in it. No doubt a red because he wasn't in control of his action, plus it was a lunge and two-footed. I agree though that football is sanitised. Junior games still have an element of a proper match about them and I hope that continues. Unfortunately though the younger refs that take charge of these games are of the new breed where virtually any contact at all is deemed a foul and these are the next generation of grade 1 officials. The laws of the game haven't actually changed that much but it is the interpretation of them that's been applied that's different. Video refs are coming and this will make the spectacle worse for spectating at top level games but it appears it's what the TV generation wants.

31 minutes ago, Benito Robles said:

Docherty's tackle had an element of malice aforethought in it. No doubt a red because he wasn't in control of his action, plus it was a lunge and two-footed. I agree though that football is sanitised. Junior games still have an element of a proper match about them and I hope that continues. Unfortunately though the younger refs that take charge of these games are of the new breed where virtually any contact at all is deemed a foul and these are the next generation of grade 1 officials. The laws of the game haven't actually changed that much but it is the interpretation of them that's been applied that's different. Video refs are coming and this will make the spectacle worse for spectating at top level games but it appears it's what the TV generation wants.

Junior football is for simpletons m9. 

People really need to look up what a two footed tackle is, it can't possibly be a 2 two footed tackle when you're nearly horizontal if the right leg is outstretched and the right foot is touching the ball while the left foot is still under your arse.

The dangerous part of that tackle was bringing the left through and virtually scissoring Stirling, if Stirling had been facing him the cruciate would have been under severe strain.

People really need to look up what a two footed tackle is, it can't possibly be a 2 two footed tackle when you're nearly horizontal if the right leg is outstretched and the right foot is touching the ball while the left foot is still under your arse.

The dangerous part of that tackle was bringing the left through and virtually scissoring Stirling, if Stirling had been facing him the cruciate would have been under severe strain.

The force was the dangerous bit too. He jumped in to the tackle. I think the point is that both feet were off the ground.

11 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

So he used both of his feet in this tackle that wasn't two footed? 

51 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

His left foot caught nothing but fresh air and wasn't meant to catch anything else, it was a red card, nowt more.

The tackle Devlin received earlier in the season was far worse and resulted in a yellow.

I don't mean to be rude here, but you're quite old, aren't you? I feel like my Granda has discovered P&B :lol:

I will join in with you to an extent though. A few weeks back a referee in one of my own games told me "contact is a foul". I was livid. There needs to be a line between being it being ok to use your strength and not fly in to endanger an opponent. Football nowadays is far, far quicker than it used to be when it was played by guys who had fags at half-time, and spent every day at the pub - and so that needs to be brought into account when we're looking at the changes in tackling laws. I also think it is good to give guys like Stirling (and only using him as an example here) a wee bit of protection, so that some big jobber doesn't just come in and end his season because he nutmegged him a few times.

Spoiler I wear luminous green and yellow boots, and also have a pair of pink ones. H8rs gonna h8.

Wouldn't have admitted that, embarrassment!

ETA some people clearly don't understand the concept of a two footed tackle. It wasn't one whatsoever.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Yes - insofar as Docherty has two feet like most other players.

Two-footed obviously refers to contact with both feet at the same time, usually into the same area.

What you are talking about is someone basically being kicked twice.

Can we put this issue to bed now and just agree that it was a superb piece of tackling and Docherty didn't deserve a booking never mind being sent off.

I agree wholeheartedly.
Put to bed now.
Night night

Although it was a 'heads gone' 'fucked right into him' tackle

Why are people still arguing about the red card. One of the most blatant red cards you will see. And surely just the Ayr fans trolling! Shut up, move on and stop bleating. You came got a point after our momentous collapse but will still end up in the seaside leagues!

13 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Why are people still arguing about the red card. One of the most blatant red cards you will see. And surely just the Ayr fans trolling! Shut up, move on and stop bleating. You came got a point after our momentous collapse but will still end up in the seaside leagues!

Do you think you will have dried yer eyes by the weekend?

Heads gone

Glad to see your taking it well

Oh no wait your fucking raging

Pleasing

This guy isn't raging
IMG_1487630222.233559.jpg

43 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

18/02 NEVER FORGET!

vlcsnap-2017-02-20-22h39m28s586.jpg

vlcsnap-2017-02-20-22h56m57s488.jpg

16 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I wear luminous green and yellow boots, and also have a pair of pink ones. H8rs gonna h8.

If 40's is old to you then Yes. I do take huge exception to the statement that "football is far, far quicker than it used to be", I'd actually say the exact opposite. When was the last time you saw one of your players sprint half the length of the pitch as an example ? From an Ayr perspective our team from 14 or 15 years ago had Gary Teale, Mickey Reynolds, Glynn Hurst and the likes of John Davies pulling the strings in midfield. If anyone seriously thinks that our current team does ANYTHING faster than that team then they are completely deluded. Don't take this the wrong way, but Dumbarton have been at the very bottom of the football chain for the past 25 years with the exception of the past 3 or 4 so maybe you're comparing your really poor bottom tier side to your current side who are undoubtedly a level above ??

Archived