Who do we want to see promoted into League 2?

They're from a town with a huge population with backing from the local council for their new stadium proposals.

A 4000 capacity stadium in the middle of nowhere.

Their model won't work. Watch what happens when those who fund them lose interest.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 4000 capacity stadium in the middle of nowhere.

Their model won't work. Watch what happens when those who fund them lose interest.

Why would they lose interest? Why are they any different from any other club in L2 or Edinburgh City?

They were good before they played Celtic? They had most of the team they do now before they played Celtic didn't they? Their fanbase will improve just like Edinburghs has. They've got a lot of potential. Nothing like Gretna who were clearly just going to go tits up after Brooks bailed.

They had a decent LL side but the Celtic money allowed class players like Victoria, Winters, Crawford, Woods etc which has made the difference. I'm not convinced about the fanbase. They have been there for years and if it doesn't increase after the Ajax record farse I'd be very skeptical.

They had a decent LL side but the Celtic money allowed class players like Victoria, Winters, Crawford, Woods etc which has made the difference. I'm not convinced about the fanbase. They have been there for years and if it doesn't increase after the Ajax record farse I'd be very skeptical.

They hardly need to add that many to overtake your crowds and with the added away supports and huge amounts of extra interest by being in the SPFL that's easily achievable. I'm sorry but Vitoria isn't a class player, he was there before the Celtic game too and went back after.

Woods has signed as it's his local club, another good advantage they've got, their location.

They'll easily sustain themselves and probably thrive even further. There's no evidence to suggest otherwise other than wishful thinking.

They hardly need to add that many to overtake your crowds and with the added away supports and huge amounts of extra interest by being in the SPFL that's easily achievable. I'm sorry but Vitoria isn't a class player, he was there before the Celtic game too and went back after.

Woods has signed as it's his local club, another good advantage they've got, their location.

They'll easily sustain themselves and probably thrive even further. There's no evidence to suggest otherwise other than wishful thinking.

They're above the standard in the LL is the point that I was making. I'm just not convinced and I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong. I'm not comparing their crowds to ours, we have too much competition in our area with the more successful Stenny and Falkirk.

For me K park is the problem, if they can get away from there to a more accessible venue then they, in theory, grow as a club.

And no evidence they will thrive other than wishful thinking.

I'd also be interested to know the number of adult season tickets sold to EK fans given their league success and the over exposure they seem to get in the local and national press.

1 hour ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Imho there isn't a club who could come in to the leagues and add substantially to Scottish football. We haven't the population, money or distances for any club to build noticeably. ICT and Ross C are it, there is no more.

And that's the backwards type thinking that's holding Scottish football back. What a joy it would be to see the likes of the once respectable Clyde plunging into the abyss of the Lowland League, to be replaced by East Kilbride - a team from a town of 70,000+ people who have ambition. There is no reason why they could not go up and go on to succeed in the senior set up. People like you are afraid of the drop. You are blinded by fear and fail to see the golden future ahead for the league system. The changes are happening. May you pray for your club to stand up and be counted - or disappear into the depths, never to be seen again.

Being a Clyde fan is irrelevant. 70'000 people, most of whom already support Rangers, Celtic, Patrick, Motherwell, Hamilton, Clyde  and so on....

How many do Edinburgh attract in a city of 500,000?

In fact how many do StJohnstone attract with no old firm close by? 3,000 or so! Golden future, aye right!

Clear thinking l see it as. 

You are a bit muddled and over optimistic at best. Stick to gloating about Clyde's plight

Scottish fitba has been sinking since I started watching games in 1966 so no reason for anybody connected with a 'traditional' club to be optimistic. Some SPFL2 clubs are getting an overdue shock as they've never had this challenge to their status before. However ask the Shire fans: it's not all bad.

I've no time for EK but some of the criticisms/wishes are just ridiculous. They were decent before the Celtic game, which was in the 5th round having entered at round 2. As was stated they had Victoria before that. Like Spartans etc their fan base is poor but they seem to have an infrastructure which makes things sustainable with teams at all ages where the lads all pay to play. Like City they'll pick up a few supporters when/if they step up.

However it took them ages to admit the first team were paid wages and the manager and assistant are both dicks :lol:

And that's the backwards type thinking that's holding Scottish football back. What a joy it would be to see the likes of the once respectable Clyde plunging into the abyss of the Lowland League, to be replaced by East Kilbride - a team from a town of 70,000+ people who have ambition. There is no reason why they could not go up and go on to succeed in the senior set up. People like you are afraid of the drop. You are blinded by fear and fail to see the golden future ahead for the league system. The changes are happening. May you pray for your club to stand up and be counted - or disappear into the depths, never to be seen again.

Using Hamilton as an example.
Town of 53000, more in surrounding area. Premier league team. Existed since 1874
Average attendance last year was only around 3000 including games against Celtic, Aberdeen Motherwell and Hearts.
There is no way East Kilbride would get close to this as there is no traditional or historical support for them.
East Kilbride get disproportionate publicity through the local paper and nationally but still struggle to get supporters to attend.
Their supporters will be sure to enjoy the experience of rattling about in their white elephant of a stadium on the outer edge of town with little public transport.

The over optimism that some show regarding changing supporters existing club loyalties and exaggerated projections for the future are what has lead to many clubs being in financial strife. (including my own team Clyde, Livingston and Airdrie)

I wasn't aware that "bringing something" was part of the criteria, anyway. End of the day most clubs in SPFL1 / SPFL2 are regarded as nobodies by the top echelons of the game and much of the media as it is. Promotion can mean growth... last season Edinburgh City were getting lower crowds than EK are - they're now averaging more than Cowdenbeath, Annan and Berwick, and not that far off Montrose.

Fact is that if a club wins the Highland or Lowland league, then beats the winner of the other league, then beats bottom of SPFL2, the least they deserve is to go up... and the club that finishes bottom then loses the playoff to go down. One level above or below, and Clyde or Cowden wouldn't be fighting for safety versus a playoff and £60k over 2yrs if you lose it; Clyde and Cowden would be fighting for a playoff as an alternative to automatic relegation, or both could even be facing automatic relegation.

13 hours ago, selfassemblyshire said:

They dont have the fan base and the only reason they're signing them is due to the Celtic money. It'll dry up eventually.

Think there might be some sour grapes here. I think you may be jealous at a new club making good progress. Your club has been around for forever and made no real progress only gone backwards. 

Lets not forget shire's parachute payment which I believe was around £40,000 so with regards to ek 'being the next gretna' there's more chance of shire going bust after their parachute money runs out.

15 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

It looks pretty unlikely that Brora will win HL. They're 1pt ahead but only have 3 games left compared to their pursuers 5, plus one of those is a derby against Wick. By 10pm tonight it could be 2pts behind - Cove host Clachnacuddin - and thereafter, courtesy some odd scheduling, Cove finish home-n-away to Turriff then home-n-away to Lossiemouth.

EK only need 1 win to secure LL but things could get a bit interesting if they drop points at Gala on Saturday: their closing 2 matches are against Spartans (3rd) and East Stirlingshire (2nd).

Map from Brora to Wick

Over an hour away. Stuff having that as your derby.  Is there actually a rivalry or is it just their closest opposition?

Yes, there's a fierce rivalry. Not far off a Montrose-Arbroath style rivalry, admittedly one stoked by Brora's recent financial doping (before then I think this was a rather one-sided rivalry with Wick very much in the driving seat).

As to who goes up, HJ is right. The odds are stacked against the non league team and people have been speaking for months as though EK coming up is a nailed-on certainty.

A lifetime watching football teaches you that such racing "certainties" rarely become reality. I would be sorry to see Cowdenbeath or Clyde go but if that's the way it turns out, so be it. I do feel the relegation play off is vital for the credibility of the league system even if it isn't perfect as it stands. Hopefully it will evolve over the years into something better and more genuinely reflecting non league football in Scotland.

With regards to talk of EKs crowds, EK are only in their 4th season of having a 'senior team' and every year there are more people coming through the gate. People are quick to forget Clyde and East Stirling have been around for years and having been to see both teams at home this year their crowds are poor. EK are getting good numbers (for how long they have been on the go) and have the potential to grow the support. 

15 hours ago, selfassemblyshire said:

From what I remember Clyde always brought the biggest away support to us, followed by stirling. Seeing Clyde go down would probably have a slight financial impact on some clubs, maybe not.

EK couldnt get 400 through the gate when they played us in a weekend where Celtic and The Rangers weren't even playing. They released some ridiculous figure to suggest otherwise, they don't travel in numbers from what I've heard. The b*****ds will probably be presented the trophy when they play us on the last day of the season.

They're Gretna 2.0, it's only a matter of time.

Saw EK at Whitehill early this season and they had no support to speak off, just committee.  Hope the Shire go up - they have been a great addition to the LL but would like to see them back in the SFL; EK would add nothing to the SFL, least off all travelling support from what I have seen

2 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Map from Brora to Wick

Over an hour away. Stuff having that as your derby.  Is there actually a rivalry or is it just their closest opposition?

It's about the only Highland League fixture when you get regular crowd trouble.

Police appeal for witnesses to attack on Brora Rangers' supporters bus

Archived