Who do we want to see promoted into League 2?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of years back, the idea of East Kilbride superseding Clyde seemed like a mere schadenfreude fantasy...

Spoiler

2d0lv9t.gif

I predict Cove Rangers for promotion to SPFL, which means that the Highland League would be obliged to promote Banks O'Dee as a replacement given their SFA Membership & Licenced status. If the SFA tries to block their promotion, a legal challenge would be inevitable.

If this happens, the Lowland League will get two new clubs, relegated Cowdenbeath or Clyde, and the champions of the SoSL (Edusport, Wigtown or St Cuthberts: all Licensed). Theoretically that should result in 2 LL clubs being relegated back to the EoSL.

Interesting scenario ? Or am I wrong ?

16 hours ago, Robert James said:

I predict Cove Rangers for promotion to SPFL, which means that the Highland League would be obliged to promote Banks O'Dee as a replacement given their SFA Membership & Licenced status. If the SFA tries to block their promotion, a legal challenge would be inevitable.

If this happens, the Lowland League will get two new clubs, relegated Cowdenbeath or Clyde, and the champions of the SoSL (Edusport, Wigtown or St Cuthberts: all Licensed). Theoretically that should result in 2 LL clubs being relegated back to the EoSL.

Interesting scenario ? Or am I wrong ?

That is the scenario - Preston Athletic are confirmed bottom of LL, but Selkirk and Hawick are fighting to avoid the potential drop. Selkirk are 1pt ahead, but Hawick have 3 games left to Selkirk's 2 games (HRA had a game waterlogged a week past Saturday).

SOSL title race is now down to 2 clubs... Wigtown are 1pt ahead of Edusport, and both have 2 games left.

If champions of EOSL were also licensed there would be a champions playoff. However its 2 contenders are not licensed, and neither ground is currently in a licensable condition (for example neither have any cover). For completeness though Leith are 5pts ahead of LTHV, but have only 3 games left to LTHV's 5 games. To add a further spice to proceedings, they meet at Saughton on the last day.

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

That is the scenario - Preston Athletic are confirmed bottom of LL, but Selkirk and Hawick are fighting to avoid the potential drop. Selkirk are 1pt ahead, but Hawick have 3 games left to Selkirk's 2 games (HRA had a game waterlogged a week past Saturday).

SOSL title race is now down to 2 clubs... Wigtown are 1pt ahead of Edusport, and both have 2 games left.

If champions of EOSL were also licensed there would be a champions playoff. However its 2 contenders are not licensed, and neither ground is currently in a licensable condition (for example neither have any cover). For completeness though Leith are 5pts ahead of LTHV, but have only 3 games left to LTHV's 5 games. To add a further spice to proceedings, they meet at Saughton on the last day.

Talking about criteria how long have the LL sides without floodlights got to install them?

Not required for licence? There are only 4 left without in any case (CSS, Selkirk, Vale, Whitehill) and some of them have been reported in local press as having plans.

Don't suppose it really makes much odds: from what I can see the only unlit midweek games this season are 3 on August 10th that were 7:15pm anyway, and Vale v Whitehill on Wednesday which is 6:30pm.

21 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Not required for licence? There are only 4 left without in any case (CSS, Selkirk, Vale, Whitehill) and some of them have been reported in local press as having plans.

Don't suppose it really makes much odds: from what I can see the only unlit midweek games this season are 3 on August 10th that were 7:15pm anyway, and Vale v Whitehill on Wednesday which is 6:30pm.

Thanks I thought being a feeder into the SPFL they would have to have lights like the HL sides have. As you say mustn't be needed for entry level licence which all the sides will have apart from Spartans and maybe the Shire.

Looks like East Kilbride v Buckie Thistle for the SLL/HFL play-offs. Buckie's last game is against HFL bottom club Strathspey Thistle, so they should finish as champions above  both Brora and Cove.

But which SPFL club will they meet in the play-off final ? Any bets ?

Looks like East Kilbride v Buckie Thistle for the SLL/HFL play-offs. Buckie's last game is against HFL bottom club Strathspey Thistle, so they should finish as champions above  both Brora and Cove.
But which SPFL club will they meet in the play-off final ? Any bets ?

I don't think so, not after their 3 point deduction

Archived