Has there ever been a worse 'championship' season?

This pish is pretty much spouted every year, can't remember the last time folk didn't claim it was the worst Championship ever.

It's a good competitive league, where anyone can beat anyone and there's a good promotion and relegation battle.

Is it really a case of teams being so poor? Maybe they are just more evenly matched?

St mirren before the end of January were very poor. The poorest I've seen.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

St mirren before the end of January were very poor. The poorest I've seen.

They weren't any poorer than any of the teams who have finished bottom the last few years. They are now also on a good run and picking up points, the same can't be said for others who have went down in recent years.

Whoever finishes bottom this year is a better team than the Cowden, Morton, Airdrie and Alloa teams who have finished bottom in recent seasons.

2 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:
The real standouts in this league are Dumbarton, who once again, make this part-time shit look easy.

Genuinely got so much time for them as a club, punching above their weight every year. It makes what Hibs do League wise look very poor. Kick on Sons.

:wub:

They weren't any poorer than any of the teams who have finished bottom the last few years. They are now also on a good run and picking up points, the same can't be said for others who have went down in recent years.

Whoever finishes bottom this year is a better team than the Cowden, Morton, Airdrie and Alloa teams who have finished bottom in recent seasons.

There might be a few Morton fans who disagree with you, they've taken great joy in pointing out how bad our record has been compared to their relegation team.

We hadn't won a game before December.

7 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

:wub:

I know we like to have a bit banter on P&B but I really mean what what I said. If Hibs as a club even just punched their weight we won't be near this league. We should take inspiration from clubs like Dumbarton on striving to be the best we can be. 

Keep it up lads, some clubs you've got there.

This pish is pretty much spouted every year, can't remember the last time folk didn't claim it was the worst Championship ever.

It's a good competitive league, where anyone can beat anyone and there's a good promotion and relegation battle.

Is it really a case of teams being so poor? Maybe they are just more evenly matched?

I agree on the point of it being claimed ever year, but for once I think the argument holds weight this year.

It isn't a case that anyone can beat anyone, 4 teams have gone on long runs to prove that! I'd be very surprised if there has been another season, certainly recently, where so many teams have not won in over 13 games.

The only reason that there is such a wide relegation battle is because so many teams have been woeful.

2 hours ago, Hawk said:

Any team is capable of beating anyone home or away, makes for a very interesting season if rather disappointing  at times! 

We don't do losing at Cappielow!

21 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Based on points total it was only two weeks ago they were on course to be worse than all of them but Alloa. Now though they'd need to totally collapse again with no more wins for the rest of the season to end up worse off than any of them. Of those four Morton had the least bad points total with 26,  it'd be pretty incredible if St. Mirren ended up going straight back to failing to win again to the extent they didn't manage 6 points from 11 games.

As for the thread, every single season this argument is made and it's usually made by fans of a team having a mediocre, boring season. For all that Raith, QoS, Ayr & St. Mirren have all had ridiculously awful runs of form this season, the bottom four actually all have more points than the bottom four did at this stage last season. Also, fourth-placed Morton currently have 42 points after 25 games, last season Morton finished 5th with 43 points. After 25 games last season fourth placed Raith - who everyone agreed were an excellent side - only had 35 points, before going on to finish with the second best points total of a fourth placed side in the 22 seasons we've had in a 10-team second tier. QoS will surely finish 5th with comfortrably more than 43 points.

Obviously points totals tell you more about the competitiveness of a league than it's quality, but I'd suggest the above shows that it's just more competitive rather than being any worse.

9 hours ago, rw89 said:

So far this season Raith have had: 

• Appointed Gary Locke and Darren Jackson
  • Signed 37 year old Rudi Skacel
  • Punted out a talented young forward out on loan to a club who were one point behind us
  • Sold a talented young center back to Rangers, while simultaneously announcing that we didn't get much money for it, and had the pleasure of Scott Roberts, an ineffective winger, signing permanently for us. 
  • Failing to win a game since 29th October when we fortunately beat Queens 1-0. 
  • Suffered 3 injuries to 3 goal keepers over the last few months, with our club failing to sign any decent appointment. 
  • Our strikers failed to score any goals between 4 of them from October 29th through to 28th January. 
  • Currently 6 points off the bottom of the league. 

yRHwZIh.gif

"Have had" doesn't work as an introduction to any of the items on your list.

Most Falkirk fans have rose tinted specs on about last season. We scored so many late goals to win or draw games it glossed over how much of a struggle it was at times.

I actually think two or three of our performances since Christmas have been at least on a par with last season and the Dundee Utd game at home arguably better than last season.

Austin coming into the side has really made a difference. He is quick, physical and technically pretty decent. He is better option up front than we even had last season.

If we get to the play offs in second I think now we are better equipped than last season.

Overall I think the standard is nowhere near as bad as is made out. The lack of finance everywhere has merely levelled the playing field outside the bigger clubs who have been down here for the last three seasons.

As VT pointed out the league doesn't have a Cowdenbeath or Alloa as it has before making the bottom team much stronger than before.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

This.  Teams having bad runs means that others are beating them.

I don't think you can draw conclusions about overall quality from that.

31 minutes ago, rw89 said:

I'll edit it. Just for you MT. 

Top work.  Change "failed" to "fail" in the second bottom point and I'll be able to focus on the content.

Does the fact I know what a dick I'm being help mitigate against it?

18 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Most Falkirk fans have rose tinted specs on about last season. We scored so many late goals to win or draw games it glossed over how much of a struggle it was at times.

I actually think two or three of our performances since Christmas have been at least on a par with last season and the Dundee Utd game at home arguably better than last season.

Austin coming into the side has really made a difference. He is quick, physical and technically pretty decent. He is better option up front than we even had last season.

If we get to the play offs in second I think now we are better equipped than last season.

Overall I think the standard is nowhere near as bad as is made out. The lack of finance everywhere has merely levelled the playing field outside the bigger clubs who have been down here for the last three seasons.

As VT pointed out the league doesn't have a Cowdenbeath or Alloa as it has before making the bottom team much stronger than before.

Aye it was a real struggle like. 4 league games lost all season.

Archived