Has there ever been a worse 'championship' season?

Don't agree with that at all. We were unlucky to lose the games we did 

You seriously not admitting to getting breaks at Easter Road with the McCracken handball? The home game v Kilmarnock? The 3-2 win v Servo (they should have been 5 up after 30 minutes). Away to Raith etc etc

We certainly got more going for us than against us.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

St Mirren were bad whenever we played them but they weren't close to Alloa or Cowdenbeath bad. Alloa was one of the worst teams in recent memory, being both defensively incompetent and playing negative football.

The bottom is still wild

• St Mirren could go down causing the site to crash from an avalanche of Michael Portillo pictures, though the banter option is for them to climb into the playoffs and go down after getting battered by East Fife despite getting patronised by Brendan Rodgers and thinking that they could actually make it. Whereas on the other hand the Morton fans premature celebrations coming back to haunt them would be also funny.
  • Raith are at the stage where it's getting sad after getting Locked, though going down with a Scottish Cup winning manager would be funny and they deserve to be in the shit for hiring Gary bloody Locke who has successfully turned them into a second tier Kilmarnock.
  • Ayr would be a big achievement though they are the team I would miss the least, due to being fairly stodgy but they might get more exciting after a full season at this level.
  • Dumbarton are just mental, one week they can thump Dundee Utd or Falkirk and then lose 5-1 to Dunfermline or lose to a Junior side. They are a team that doesn't follow the laws of logic and I have an awful lot of time for that.

Plus Queens and Dunfermline could get dragged in still if there is another collapse.

Hibs aren't untouchable like Hearts and Rangers were so the possibility of a collapse could happen if Dundee Utd/Falkirk/Morton get their shit together. as been said the games are usually pretty even which doesn't make for scintillating football but close games have greater potential for scenes. even in our bad run we were always losing by the odd goal so it's little things that happen when you are playing with confidence that help teams get over the line and perhaps extend very very bad runs.

• Raith are at the stage where it's getting sad after getting Locked, though going down with a Scottish Cup winning manager would be funny and they deserve to be in the shit for hiring Gary bloody Locke who has successfully turned them into a second tier Kilmarnock.

• So you actually believe we'll stay up?

I don't think there's a single Rovers fan that would agree with you there..

So far this season Raith have: 
    • Appointed Gary Locke and Darren Jackson
    • Signed 37 year old Rudi Skacel
    • Punted out a talented young forward out on loan to a club who were one point behind us
    • Sold a talented young center back to Rangers, while simultaneously announcing that we didn't get much money for it, and had the pleasure of Scott Roberts, an ineffective winger, signing permanently for us. 
    • Failed to win a game since 29th October when we fortunately beat Queens 1-0. 
    • Suffered 3 injuries to 3 goal keepers over the last few months, with our club failing to sign any decent appointment. 
    • Seen our strikers fail to score any goals between 4 of them from October 29th through to 28th January. 
    • Ended up 6 points off the bottom of the league. 
    yRHwZIh.gif

And you're not done yet!

Don't think it's been bad at all. We're about to enter the last quarter of games for the season and: 

There's still no guarantee of who will win the league. It's looking likely that Hibs will win it but if Dundee Utd win on Friday it gets interesting. 

4 teams outside of Hibs can still finish in the play-offs. 

4 teams could potentially go down automatically and 3 of them battling to avoid 9th. 

I'd say it's much better than in previous seasons where Hearts & Rangers have ran away with the league and everyone knew for a while who was likely to go down. 

1 hour ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

So you actually believe we'll stay up?

I don't think there's a single Rovers fan that would agree with you there..

Anything is possible, I mean Gary Locke turned a playoff side into relegation fodder,  but at the moment it is looking very very bad, if Cuthbert comes back then that might help the defence and surely the forwards can't keep missing. FWIW I think Ayr are probably a worse side and Dumbarton are rather unpredictable, plus St Mirren still have to get results. Hughes is probably the right manager to work with a squad without a full window but this run you are on could be terminal.

If we can make it to the end of the season without going bust and getting relegated then it will be a marked improvement for us in this tier. As Scosha says, ^^ plenty to look forward to in the coming weeks. 

Was talking to folk at the football about this yesterday. The title race has been extremely poor but there's some pretty impressive teams for the lower reaches of the second tier. I was genuinely really impressed with some of Dunfermline's play last week and they're down there. Ayr look OK but they've taken (an admittedly pretty fortunate) four points off us by being a pretty effective counter attacking team. Others have already covered Dumbarton's deserved praise etc. I used to go to a few Raith games when they were hovering around that level a few years back and the standard now is much, much better imo.

The fact that we've stalled so badly and still have a wee gap isn't a great reflection on the top half of the league tbf. I've barely been impressed with us at Easter Road in the league all season. We're capable of being much better than I've seen for large spells of the season, the fact that there's even a question of league winners at this stage is a damning reflection of how poor we've been.

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Hibs will definitely win this league at a stroll.  Anyone with any doubt should just read the Hibs Championship thread.

Depends which part of the thread you're reading.

On 24/12/2016 at 14:54, banana said:

1gj1rw.jpg

On 24/12/2016 at 16:23, Granny Danger said:

image.jpeg

On 24/12/2016 at 16:31, UnitedLoon63 said:

So when you lads gonna be walking this league?

Aw yeh next season 'maybe' when it's you and the wee teams and you'll still hibs it

On 24/12/2016 at 18:07, fifeunited said:

United are having a party and hibs are in there bed emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

On 24/12/2016 at 22:24, invergowrie arab said:

Dundee United are top of the league.

Hibs are second.

Thank you 

Ljsl9nQ.png

The title of the thread sounds a little dramatic, but I am really starting to think that this is one of the worst quality seasons in the second tier ever.

Queens: Went on a run of 13 games without a win, including 7 consecutive defeats.
    Raith: Are on a run of 15 games without a win, which included 6 consecutive defeats.
    Ayr: Had a run of 16 games without a win, with 4 consecutive defeats.
    St Mirren: Opened up with a run of 15 games without a win, including 6 consecutive defeats.

Add to this Dunfermline and Dumbarton, though neither have had such long runs between victories, they still find themselves in amongst the other 4.

Has there ever been another year where so many teams have been so poor?

Discuss.

I started watching Thistle when we finished eighth in a ten team second tier for about seven years in a row. Turgid shite.

53 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

It's a very interesting league for sure, the quality is pretty appaling though. A team who's main tactic is to score from free-kicks is 4th ffs.

To be fair the Pars have upped the entertainment factor of the league by putting David Hutton in goals  for a run of games as part of an already dodgy defence along with missing more penalties than Queens have got in about 4 seasons. 

St Mirren were bad whenever we played them but they weren't close to Alloa or Cowdenbeath bad. Alloa was one of the worst teams in recent memory, being both defensively incompetent and playing negative football.
    The bottom is still wild
    • St Mirren could go down causing the site to crash from an avalanche of Michael Portillo pictures, though the banter option is for them to climb into the playoffs and go down after getting battered by East Fife despite getting patronised by Brendan Rodgers and thinking that they could actually make it. Whereas on the other hand the Morton fans premature celebrations coming back to haunt them would be also funny.
    • Ayr would be a big achievement though they are the team I would miss the least, due to being fairly stodgy but they might get more exciting after a full season at this level.
    • Dumbarton are just mental, one week they can thump Dundee Utd or Falkirk and then lose 5-1 to Dunfermline or lose to a Junior side. They are a team that doesn't follow the laws of logic and I have an awful lot of time for that.
    Plus Queens and Dunfermline could get dragged in still if there is another collapse.

Hibs aren't untouchable like Hearts and Rangers were so the possibility of a collapse could happen if Dundee Utd/Falkirk/Morton get their shit together. as been said the games are usually pretty even which doesn't make for scintillating football but close games have greater potential for scenes. even in our bad run we were always losing by the odd goal so it's little things that happen when you are playing with confidence that help teams get over the line and perhaps extend very very bad runs.

Have to agree with the part about morton fans, it seem that a percentage are more obsessed with st mirren being botton than morton winning. Were going through a good spell at the moment at cappielow but lets not get too carried away until we are confirmed in play offs (would be great if better though).

St mirren will stay up as ayr are certs to finish bottom and i fancy raith to end up in playoffs.

4 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

To be fair the Pars have upped the entertainment factor of the league by putting David Hutton in goals  for a run of games as part of an already dodgy defence along with missing more penalties than Queens have got in about 4 seasons. 

Nicky Clark has as many goals as the house elf, lol.

10 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

You seriously not admitting to getting breaks at Easter Road with the McCracken handball? The home game v Kilmarnock? The 3-2 win v Servo (they should have been 5 up after 30 minutes). Away to Raith etc etc

We certainly got more going for us than against us.

1) That was in the playoffs

2) See 1

3) Aye if they took every chance...what happened after that?

4) What?

Archived