Has there ever been a worse 'championship' season?

22 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

What's happening at the bottom is more interesting than what's happening at the top. Should be pretty entertaining for the last couple of months, although I expect that entertainment to come in the form of a series of clusterfucks and blunders by the bottom teams.

Can't really agree with this.

Yes, there may well be some entertaining clusterfucks at the bottom, but at the top there are just nine points separating the four (as opposed to seven points at the bottom), Hibs and United have looked very fragile, Falkirk have Peter Houston in charge ('nuff said) and it's so long since Jim Duffy was this high in the leagues he could be excused for having a nosebleed.

I think how the top pans out will be at least as interesting as the bottom.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

It's only the complete morons amongst our support that think that Clark isn't a good striker. I would have him back in a heartbeat.

That's fair, would you take @Hawk back, given his recent form?

1) That was in the playoffs
2) See 1
3) Aye if they took every chance...what happened after that?
4) What?

The moon is made of cheese.

22 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

You seriously not admitting to getting breaks at Easter Road with the McCracken handball? The home game v Kilmarnock? The 3-2 win v Servo (they should have been 5 up after 30 minutes). Away to Raith etc etc

We certainly got more going for us than against us.

I thought things evened themselves out in the long run to be honest. The likes of Hibs pen in the first game between us and Muirheads sending off. The other examples arent breaks their an example of what keeping going to the very end does for you whilst other teams dont take their chances. I wouldnt call them breaks.

I think it's been decent. Let's be honest, nobody really watches football at this level for the quality of football on display, so the next best thing is a competitive/tight league. We could and should be dead and buried by now, but seem determined to drag teams back into it (or watch as they implode). Hibs looked set to run away with it, but have had what's best described as a wobble.

I guess the only problem is that I think the top-four places are signed and sealed now, which is a shame as it's meant to be those that help give the lower teams something to chase. Instead, it's avoiding the wrong playoffs that's got everyone worried.

It's fascinating and it's (hopefully) going down to the wire. I think that's decent.

11 minutes ago, tonup9 said:

How can being in the top four a problem,the teams up there have earned it

I may have worded that badly. I just meant that, in terms of competitiveness of the league, the playoff places are meant to be there to stop meaningless end-of-season games, yet here we are in March and it's already pretty much a closed shop. Of course the top four teams deserve to be there, and are so on merit, I just think the intention is that you'd at least have a couple more teams scrapping to reach the playoffs at this stage.

Considering the Championship has 1 automatic promotion place, 1 automatic relegation place and 4 playoff places it seems unlikely the 4 teams sitting 5th - 8th won't be trying to land or avoid something.

Although you could very easily say QOS have managed to get themselves into a right no man's land which will be all but confirmed if they lose to Morton this week.

Quality wise it is really poor but then I don't know how good it was while we've been dossing about the Seaside Leagues as I only ever saw the odd televised game on BT or Alba. Certainly compared to the most recent two seasons we've been here (the year Partick won the title and we had our points deduction and also the year we won the title and Falkirk and Raith were up there with Ross County, Morton etc decent teams) it is night and day - some of the football from teams at the top end has been woeful with misplaced passes, dreadful corners, comical defending and goalkeeping and even that there is nobody running away with things in the goalscoring charts seem to point to am overall reduction in ability.

The Hibs and Dundee Utd of this season would struggle to finish in the top half of the season we won the division IMO. Having said that, while the quality might not be all that, there have been some cracking games and it's a really tight and competitive league, certainly from 5th down. I've enjoyed it but not as much as I was hoping.

9 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Quality wise it is really poor but then I don't know how good it was while we've been dossing about the Seaside Leagues as I only ever saw the odd televised game on BT or Alba. Certainly compared to the most recent two seasons we've been here (the year Partick won the title and we had our points deduction and also the year we won the title and Falkirk and Raith were up there with Ross County, Morton etc decent teams) it is night and day - some of the football from teams at the top end has been woeful with misplaced passes, dreadful corners, comical defending and goalkeeping and even that there is nobody running away with things in the goalscoring charts seem to point to am overall reduction in ability.

The Hibs and Dundee Utd of this season would struggle to finish in the top half of the season we won the division IMO. Having said that, while the quality might not be all that, there have been some cracking games and it's a really tight and competitive league, certainly from 5th down. I've enjoyed it but not as much as I was hoping.

You're at it. This Hibs team would have murdered that division.

Morton & Ross County finished 7th & 8th respectively that season, contriving to finish behind a Dundee team which had 25 points deducted. Those were terrible sides - that was the season Ross County went through three managers, with Willie McStay sacked after nine games and no wins. 9th and 10th were taken by Cowdenbeath on 35 points & Stirling on 20 points. Falkirk were newly relegated and were pissing about with crap like Tam McManus, Burton O'Brien & Ross Perry in their squad. This league is undoubtedly stronger than that one.

Morton, Dundee United and Falkirk have their weaknesses this season but I'd say they're all better than that Falkirk side and a Raith side that was effective but was ultimately just the classic functional John McGlynn hoofball outfit. All credit to them for doing as well as they did, Tadé had a superb season while John Baird and Allan Walker did well, but they had the likes of Stephen Simmons and Jamie Mole playing regularly.

You won that league by 10 points with Pat Clarke playing every week. There's not a chance that Dunfermline team would be within a mile of Hibs: no one in it would get in the Hibs team.

To illustrate the point, here's the Dunfermline team the day they clinched the title at Cappielow:

Chris Smith
Calum Woods
Alex Keddie
Kevin Rutkiewicz
Austin McCann
David Graham
Gary Mason
Andy Dowie
Joe Cardle
Steven McDougall
Andy Kirk

Subs: Nicky Phinn, Liam Buchanan, Pat Clarke, Chris Higgins, Greg Paterson

I'm sure Hibs would be shitting themselves at the thought of facing Austin McCann, Steven McDougall and Alex Keddie.

8 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

To illustrate the point, here's the Dunfermline team the day they clinched the title at Cappielow:

Chris Smith
Calum Woods
Alex Keddie
Kevin Rutkiewicz
Austin McCann
David Graham
Gary Mason
Andy Dowie
Joe Cardle
Steven McDougall
Andy Kirk

Subs: Nicky Phinn, Liam Buchanan, Pat Clarke, Chris Higgins, Greg Paterson

I'm sure Hibs would be shitting themselves at the thought of facing Austin McCann, Steven McDougall and Alex Keddie.

The same Hibs team that just lost 2-0 to the worst St Mirren side in about 50 years?

That side worked very well as a team, combined with having a now scottish cup winning manager. That side also didn't include BMMMH which would make any side at least half as good.

Austin McCann was also a sexy, sexy man, had a cracking arse.

9 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

The same Hibs team that just lost 2-0 to the worst St Mirren side in about 50 years?

Honestly, we are no longer that bad. We are still favourites to go down, so technically, the records will show it is the worst ever Saints side, but the current line-up is not that awful and is paying for the omnishambles that was our pre-Christmas form.

Of course, Hibs did lose, earlier in the season, to the worst St Mirren side in 50 years, albeit in the diddy cup.

St Mirren remind me of Dunfermline under Stephen Kenny. A team load of new players, an exciting spell for a couple of months, combined with a good cup run but ultimately it was relegation and despair.

Archived