Scottish Cup 2017/18

mrman2011

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Livingston v Glenafton

As a neutral, I chose this match from the plethora of interesting looking Scottish Cup Third Round ties this afternoon, partly to allow to me attempt to update my 1998 photos, but mainly because it looked on paper anyway, to have the potential for a bit of an upset.  A second tier Scottish League club facing the reigning West Region Junior Champions and Scottish Junior Cup Holders.  Junior Football clubs, particularly those from South Ayrshire, have a reputation of, shall we say, being able to look after themselves should the situation require it.  

But this was a tame capitulation indeed by the visitors, bullied into submission by their hosts, seemingly effortlessly (and legally) bumped and bundled off the ball time and again.  

Both Livingston goals were scored by Dylan MACKIN - in the 20th and 60th minutes - the first after the visitors had failed to clear a corner kick, the second a free header from inside the six yard box.  It was only a couple of really fine stops by Glen's keeper Brian McGarritty which prevented the scoreline from more accurately reflecting play.  The Livi chap between the sticks Gary Maley, by contrast, I do not think had a single shot on target to deal with.

A few wee pix here, should anyone be interested - scroll past the 1998 stuff:

http://ian38018.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/livingston.html

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

It was a fantastic day for them no question... First time with 4 clubs in Last 32 since 1957-58 i.e. 60 years ago - indeed last time had 3 clubs in was 1984-85. It's shame press coverage has been low-key.

I totally agree with this.  I was watching the FA Cup coverage a few weeks back and it is night and day compared to Scotland.  They have worked on the principal that most level headed supporters like a bit of cup romance and love to see the lower league teams progress. They make the draws for the early rounds at non league social clubs and give these teams their wee bit of exposure. ..............with no condescending remarks .  They actually enjoy going to these places and manage to go a full 90 mins of match coverage without mentioning any of the big teams.

This is in stark contrast to the Scottish media who revel in taking the piss out of the plumbers and electricians and the chairmen who multi task and do their utmost just to accommodate them. 

All the Scottish media care about is who the OF are going to wallop on the way to the final .  No one gets a look in TV wise until either of the OF are involved .  Sportscene didn't cover one match on Saturday which is shocking.   This is one of the reasons why we are a third world football nation.  Scottish football does not revolve around the OF.  Maybe someday they will wake up to this fact. 

59 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I totally agree with this.  I was watching the FA Cup coverage a few weeks back and it is night and day compared to Scotland.  They have worked on the principal that most level headed supporters like a bit of cup romance and love to see the lower league teams progress. They make the draws for the early rounds at non league social clubs and give these teams their wee bit of exposure. ..............with no condescending remarks .  They actually enjoy going to these places and manage to go a full 90 mins of match coverage without mentioning any of the big teams.

This is in stark contrast to the Scottish media who revel in taking the piss out of the plumbers and electricians and the chairmen who multi task and do their utmost just to accommodate them. 

All the Scottish media care about is who the OF are going to wallop on the way to the final .  No one gets a look in TV wise until either of the OF are involved .  Sportscene didn't cover one match on Saturday which is shocking.   This is one of the reasons why we are a third world football nation.  Scottish football does not revolve around the OF.  Maybe someday they will wake up to this fact. 

The SFA don't offer live or highlights rights until the 4th round.

5 hours ago, The Master said:

4.45pm, live on Sky Sports News. You know, a time that's incredibly convenient for everyone to watch it. 

And done in a completely dull,  non football,  studio environment no doubt .  Why not go to one of the Highland league club's social club ?  

Did SKY sports news just describe Doddie Weir as a giant of Scottish football?

Possibly should post this under terrible journalism.

Edit: Possibly I should just clean my ears out. 

"Can one of the minnows draw one of the giants of Scottish football?"

Colin Cameron - Doddie Weir minnow - giant. I get it now. Doh!!

Archived