No Voters - what say you?

jamamafegan

Don't think independence would have any economical/financial benefits, whereas I believe in maintaining a union with nations that we are economically/culturally tied with. Similar reasons as to why I voted Remain in the EU ref. I don't think Brexit will swing it either, even with all major parties backing remain over 1 million Scots voted to leave (nearly 40%) so there's obviously a large eurosceptic feeling even in Scotland.

If voters in the north of England were so concerned that Scotland voting to leave the United Kingdom would result in decades of Tory rule, they should have considered that before voting to take themselves - and, by association, Scotland - out of the European Union. Which they would have been very well aware - before voting - carried the possibility of triggering a second independence referendum. 

Just now, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Aye to be fair it Must be at least a week since I've had anybody accuse me of that. Wish I'd a quid for every time I'd heard it!

I don't always agree with your views on Independence etc but I read them with some care. If I had the time to peruse your long post I might give it some thought but I am too worried about Saturdays game.

Just now, Red 'N Yellow said:

Don't think independence would have any economical/financial benefits, whereas I believe in maintaining a union with nations that we are economically/culturally tied with. Similar reasons as to why I voted Remain in the EU ref. I don't think Brexit will swing it either, even with all major parties backing remain over 1 million Scots voted to leave (nearly 40%) so there's obviously a large eurosceptic feeling even in Scotland.

Maybe so. But I would argue that politically Scotland is much more in line with European centre left politics than it is with the rUK. Barriers and isolationism are being forced on us. 

Now or never is the time to stand up to it.

Just now, DrewDon said:

If voters in the north of England were so concerned that Scotland voting to leave the United Kingdom would result in decades of Tory rule, they should have considered that before voting to take themselves - and, by association, Scotland - out of the European Union. Which they would have been very well aware - before voting - carried the possibility of triggering a second independence referendum. 

Yup. They've made their own decisions and will live with the consequences. Quite why I should care about what happens to them as a result is beyond me.

2 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I believe the EU is a dead duck and to leave the UK and rejoin a failing, undemocratic organisation like that would be madness. I believe Scotland has far more influence in the UK than it would have in the EU. There is far more political accountability in the UK- we all know who our local MP is, and we have the best of both worlds with our own parliament.

So you'd prefer we should be governed for the foreseeable future by a party that returned one MP in Scotland – many of whom are tonight facing the probability of criminal charges – and remain subject to the whims of more than 800 unelected Lords and the rubber-stamp of a monarch? I'd say the EU is by comparison a beacon of democracy.

I think I know who all the Scottish MEPs are. It's not difficult.

Edited by Mr Heliums

19 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

They should also stop voting for the Conservatives

I think offensiveness is perfectly healthy. People used to find the idea of women voting, blasphemy, Darwinism, the world being round offensive....

It's all very well saying that when you aren't the target. I'm assuming you are white, so correct me if I'm wrong.
Racial hatred is a backward step, not a forward one. Ditto with homophobia, transphobia, sexism.
I won't tolerate it.

I'd be lying if I said I fully understood all the economic arguments from either side ... and even if I did, there's so much speculation that nobody can really be sure. 

The reason I voted Yes (and would do so again) is that if the British government insists on funding and participating in a wide variety of wars and campaigns of dubious morality / legality, I'd rather it wasn't done in my name. 

22 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

It's all very well saying that when you aren't the target. I'm assuming you are white, so correct me if I'm wrong.
Racial hatred is a backward step, not a forward one. Ditto with homophobia, transphobia, sexism.
I won't tolerate it.

In many ways I agree with part of what Chlamydia person is saying.

I am very much of the voltaire school of thought. As long as one does not incite violence.

A few of the proponents of all the "isms" need a good boot up the arse now and again (proverbial like). Mibbes they should harden up a bit and argue their piece instead of calling folk a "....ist this and ....ist that."

To stifle free speach is surely a form of facism.

Edited by git-intae-thum

I must hasten to add, that unlike Chlamydia I do not think Scotland is unique in its punitive measures against free speech.

Indeed much of it has emigrated from down South and the racially aggravated addition to laws passed as a result of incompetencies in London in the 90's. This specificallly led to the Macpherson report, which has shaped hate crime reporting in the uk for the last 2 decades.

Edited by git-intae-thum

Don't think independence would have any economical/financial benefits, whereas I believe in maintaining a union with nations that we are economically/culturally tied with. 

Do you not think there could be significant financial/economical benefits from having total control over our own economy?

I have to disagree with sentimental cultural ties being a reason to vote No which was also mention by Chlamydia Kid. Yes we have the history of the Union and British culture. But that's all it is - history. Independence won't wipe it all away, that history will always be there. It's not like we're cutting all ties and have nothing to do with rUK ever again - I imagine an independent Scotland would maintain a very close working relationship with rUK.

9 hours ago, sophia said:

I'm sorry, but I've had enough of us coaching our neighbours, it's time to lead by example.

Aye, I don't think the 'No' side will be using the 'Don't leave the UK, lead the UK' line this time, after EVEL, another Tory Government and a hard Brexit.

8 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

I won't tolerate it.

This is an excellent example of where PC can end up hurting people. There's evidence that the majority of kids who struggle with gender identity get things straightened out on their own by the time they are adults. But doctors and academics who advocate against any physical alterations to children are being banned from conferences and face the potential having their livelihoods threatened if this transphobia deal gets as taboo as homophobia. This is going to have a chilling affect on figuring out the best course of treatment for these kids. And considering the suicide rate of transgender people post physical treatment, this is literally a life and death situation.

More controversially, you can argue that mass immigration policy increases racism and potentially subjects people who would never have to face that threat (white British people) to this issue.