Who We Can Have From Down South - 2019-20

King Kebab

24 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Robbie Leitch was a Motherwell U20 player last season who never made a first team appearance.  Yet here he is being mentioned as a potential Scotland player simply because he's now at a Premier League club.

Kinda says everything that is wrong about our selection policy and the way we elevate everything with even an English association to a superior status. 

KK has mentioned every Scottish player in the top two tiers; I don't think he's saying that every one of them are future Scotland internationalists.

Robbie Leitch was a Motherwell U20 player last season who never made a first team appearance.  Yet here he is being mentioned as a potential Scotland player simply because he's now at a Premier League club.

Kinda says everything that is wrong about our selection policy and the way we elevate everything with even an English association to a superior status. 

I'm really not mentioning him or anybody else as a potential Scotland player, as Dee Man says it is a list of all eligible players playing in the top two tiers of English Football, that is all it is!!!

I could do one for Germany and Portugal too but it would be a very short list, the idea of it is just to give you an idea of players to look out for that you may not know about or may not even heard of in two of the most high profile Leagues in the world, that's all it is!!!

Just now, King Kebab said:

I'm really not mentioning him or anybody else as a potential Scotland player, as Dee Man says it is a list of all eligible players playing in the top two tiers of English Football, that is all it is!!!

I could do one for Germany and Portugal too but it would be a very short list, the idea of it is just to give you an idea of players to look out that you may not know about in two of the most high profile Leagues in the world, that's all it is!!!

I know that's not what you are saying, you have complied a list of players playing England who are eligible for Scotland but there is a sort of connected inference that if a Scottish player is playing at a certain level in English football he's potentially a Scottish international.  Yet many of the players mentioned in this thread are no better than current U20s players in the Scottish development league and nowhere near being Scottish internationals. 

If there was a 'Who Can We Have From the SPFL' list Motherwell U20s players like Ross MacLean, Alan Campbell and Jake Hastie wouldn't be considered, even though they are at a similar level as players to Robbie Leitch and are perhaps even further developed since they have first team games under their belt.

I'm not having a go at you.  I'm simply saying the list is a good example of how anything to do with English football gets a reputation boast by virtue of association.

Perhaps you could revise your list with players who had played 25 league matches this season?  Or even players with first team experience? 

Don't think you've quite understood the point of the thread

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, Beating the broken drum said:

Joe McLoughlin the Burton keepers Scottish

Already on the list!!!

28 minutes ago, Lex said:

Not there yet!!!

21 minutes ago, Beating the broken drum said:

Jed Steed?

Who???

18 hours ago, Beating the broken drum said:

Jed Steer was Villa keeper

What's the connection, English keeper born in Norwich and has played for England at u16, u17 and u19 level?? 

On 2017-3-26 at 17:03, Ya Bezzer! said:

I know that's not what you are saying, you have complied a list of players playing England who are eligible for Scotland but there is a sort of connected inference that if a Scottish player is playing at a certain level in English football he's potentially a Scottish international.  Yet many of the players mentioned in this thread are no better than current U20s players in the Scottish development league and nowhere near being Scottish internationals. 

If there was a 'Who Can We Have From the SPFL' list Motherwell U20s players like Ross MacLean, Alan Campbell and Jake Hastie wouldn't be considered, even though they are at a similar level as players to Robbie Leitch and are perhaps even further developed since they have first team games under their belt.

I'm not having a go at you.  I'm simply saying the list is a good example of how anything to do with English football gets a reputation boast by virtue of association.

Perhaps you could revise your list with players who had played 25 league matches this season?  Or even players with first team experience? 

On 2017-3-26 at 16:51, King Kebab said:

I could do one for Germany and Portugal too but it would be a very short list, the idea of it is just to give you an idea of players to look out for that you may not know about or may not even heard of in two of the most high profile Leagues in the world, that's all it is!!!

The difference here is that the top two tiers of English football are of a far superior quality to that of the Scottish Premiership. The EPL is the 3rd best league in Europe, the Scottish Premiership is the 23rd best league in Europe. If it hadn't been for Celtic's performances in Europe this year we would have likely been 28th or 29th behind Norway, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Serbia & Kazakhstan's top divisions. Other countries of a similar size to Scotland call up squads almost entirely based upon who is playing at the highest level - Croatia's squad for the Euro's was primarily made up of players playing for big clubs in big leagues and most of these clubs regularly play in the Champions League or Europa League - only their outstanding domestic based players make it into the squad such as Pjaca or Rog, both of whom have since moved on to Juventus and Napoli. Ante Coric will be the next Croatian based player to get a move to a big European club. Croatian club's are pragmatic, they know they are producing talented players so that they can eventually sell them onto a higher level. The Croatian national team is used to highlight their best young domestic based talent usually 2 or 3 players tops in every squad for competitive fixtures. This is a good thing as Croatian players have clarity when it comes to their route to the top of football and this kind of competition pushes them on. 

It becomes increasingly more difficult to justify calling up Scottish based players when we have eligible players training and playing at a much higher level. If you add these four players who are playing at a higher level than Scottish football onto the list of English based players playing in the EPL or English Championship, then we've enough available players playing at a higher level than Scottish football to call up at least two decent squads...

Germany (2nd Best League in Europe) - Oliver Burke (RB Leipzig)

Portugal (7th) - Ryan Gauld (Sporting Lisbon)

Turkey (10th) - Barry Douglas (Konyaspor)

Poland (20th) - Ziggy Gordon (Jagiellonia Bialystok)

...for me, the only Scottish based players that have stood out enough this season to warrant a definite call-up are Tierney and Armstrong. Other players that I would maybe call-up depending on form are McGregor, Forrest (Celtic), Liam Lindsay (Partick), Jamie Walker, Callum Paterson (Hearts).

2 minutes ago, Afrojim said:

The difference here is that the top two tiers of English football are of a far superior quality to that of the Scottish Premiership. The EPL is the 3rd best league in Europe, the Scottish Premiership is the 23rd best league in Europe. If it hadn't been for Celtic's performances in Europe this year we would have likely been 28th or 29th behind Norway, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Serbia & Kazakhstan's top divisions. Other countries of a similar size to Scotland call up squads almost entirely based upon who is playing at the highest level - Croatia's squad for the Euro's was primarily made up of players playing for big clubs in big leagues and most of these clubs regularly play in the Champions League or Europa League - only their outstanding domestic based players make it into the squad such as Pjaca or Rog, both of whom have since moved on to Juventus and Napoli. Ante Coric will be the next Croatian based player to get a move to a big European club. Croatian club's are pragmatic, they know they are producing talented players so that they can eventually sell them onto a higher level. The Croatian national team is used to highlight their best young domestic based talent usually 2 or 3 players tops in every squad for competitive fixtures. This is a good thing as Croatian players have clarity when it comes to their route to the top of football and this kind of competition pushes them on. 

It becomes increasingly more difficult to justify calling up Scottish based players when we have eligible players training and playing at a much higher level. If you add these four players who are playing at a higher level than Scottish football onto the list of English based players playing in the EPL or English Championship, then we've enough available players playing at a higher level than Scottish football to call up at least two decent squads...

Germany (2nd Best League in Europe) - Oliver Burke (RB Leipzig)

Portugal (7th) - Ryan Gauld (Sporting Lisbon)

Turkey (10th) - Barry Douglas (Konyaspor)

Poland (20th) - Ziggy Gordon (Jagiellonia Bialystok)

...for me, the only Scottish based players that have stood out enough this season to warrant a definite call-up are Tierney and Armstrong. Other players that I would maybe call-up depending on form are McGregor, Forrest (Celtic), Liam Lindsay (Partick), Jamie Walker, Callum Paterson (Hearts).

We don't pick leagues for the national team, we pick players.  You can have a world class player playing in a poor quality league as is currently happening in China.  The league a player is playing is only a consideration, not the be all and end all of a players worth.  Otherwise higher quality leagues wouldn't recruit players from the Scottish Premiership.

The problem with national team selection is players are completely ignored until they move to either Rangers, Celtic or English based teams and then are straight in the squad because they have 'suddenly' become good enough.  Actually they were always good enough - that's why they moved in the first place.

There is also the idea of a team being greater than the sum of its parts.  Look at Northern Ireland and many other examples down the years.  You can pick a team by going down the league tables if you want - this guys here, this guys there - but that's what someone with no footballing knowledge would do.

17 hours ago, Beating the broken drum said:

Andy Driver to in Holland looking for a new club be a cracking signing for St Johnstone or Killie somebody like that who knows even Hibs

He was born in England, and though he played for Scotland at U16 level (fifteen years ago), he played for England at U21 level (eight years ago).  In any case, he'll be thirty this year, and hasn't had a senior cap for either country, so I suspect the ship of his international career has sailed by now. 

McTominay should start on Sunday with Man Utd resting the majority of their first team squad for the Europa League Final.

Cool
Wish Celtic weren't going for this invincibles pish otherwise we'd perhaps be seeing aitchison etc getting a wee run just now.