Abandon Hampden say SPFL Chairman

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of Welsh internationals were played in Wrexham due to the Welsh FA being based there while Cardiff, Swansea, Newport and the valleys were seen as rugby strongholds. It's interesting that Wales seem to play their games in Cardiff City's stadium now rather than the Millenium - is that just because crowds were crap? 

I'm sure Hampden could be "squared" off relatively easily, although it might need the curves kept and entrance tunnels from the original concourses. The join between the existing stands on the sidelines might end up looking a bit awkward. Didn't a few German stadia do this around World Cup time? Stuttgart, Werder Bremen and Kaiserslautern ring a few bells.

17 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

The Spanish plumped for a compromise capital that no one wanted (Madrid) so I don't see why we can't do the same wrt a stadium.

I don't think you can really compare the site choice of a city of six million with a football park. 

10 hours ago, thekorean said:

Ideally, let Queen's Park and Edinburgh Rugby Club share 10,000 seat ground, and revamp Hampden like they did with Etihad for Man City.

Of course this all assumes SFA has the money.

Where will we put this 10,000 seat ground, to be shared by a rugby team and an amateur football team that are forty five miles apart?

6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Where will we put this 10,000 seat ground, to be shared by a rugby team and an amateur football team that are forty five miles apart?

Shit. Don't know why I assumed Hampden was in Edinburgh.

I don't think any team should be given a home advantage during neutral rounds of the cup. This scenario could easily be avoided with 3 other 50k+ stadiums in the country but the SFA showed us as recently as 2014 that they can't be trusted to behave with any sporting integrity. Giving Celtic a home final plus over £250k (Celtic were charged £500k for the use of Hampden for an entire season) for the privilege and rangers a home semi plus another over inflated rental payment for the use of their stadium. Of course it turned out the massive favourites were knocked out early and Rangers on their own turf but it was only by chance the tournament wasn't marred by their efforts to favour the old firm.

Why did they waste all that money redeveloping Hampden in the first place? They probably could have built a reasonable stadium from scratch instead of 3 quarters on the cheap then splurging on the South Stand to fit into the existing shape, which makes it too far away from the pitch. Murrayfield isn't perfect either, what were they thinking with that running track? I'm not against using it though, would be interesting to know how much Hearts and Celtic paid for a loan of it...somehow doubt it was anywhere near £250k! 

I remember playing hearts at Easter Road in a cup semi a good while back and it was 10x the atmosphere generated at other semis at hampden. I they use it for semi finials to try give it some purpose but it just ruins the game. 

On the other hand I have no intention of handing money over to watch the scotland team for the money to make its way in to the old firms pockets.

Would be happy to see internationals at Murryfield or a new ground shared with the rugby outfit. I don't have any issues sharing a ground with the egg chasers.

6 hours ago, kramer said:

I don't think any team should be given a home advantage during neutral rounds of the cup. This scenario could easily be avoided with 3 other 50k+ stadiums in the country but the SFA showed us as recently as 2004 that they can't be trusted to behave with any sporting integrity. Giving Celtic a home final plus over £250k (Celtic were charged £500k for the use of Hampden for an entire season) for the privilege and rangers a home semi plus another over inflated rental payment for the use of their stadium. Of course it turned out the massive favourites were knocked out early and Rangers on their own turf but it was only by chance the tournament wasn't marred by their efforts to favour the old firm.

Why did they waste all that money redeveloping Hampden in the first place? They probably could have built a reasonable stadium from scratch instead of 3 quarters on the cheap then splurging on the South Stand to fit into the existing shape, which makes it too far away from the pitch. Murrayfield isn't perfect either, what were they thinking with that running track? I'm not against using it though, would be interesting to know how much Hearts and Celtic paid for a loan of it...somehow doubt it was anywhere near £250k! 

I take it you mean 2014 for the recent example?

I don't think any team should be given a home advantage during neutral rounds of the cup. This scenario could easily be avoided with 3 other 50k+ stadiums in the country but the SFA showed us as recently as 2004 that they can't be trusted to behave with any sporting integrity. Giving Celtic a home final plus over £250k (Celtic were charged £500k for the use of Hampden for an entire season) for the privilege and rangers a home semi plus another over inflated rental payment for the use of their stadium. Of course it turned out the massive favourites were knocked out early and Rangers on their own turf but it was only by chance the tournament wasn't marred by their efforts to favour the old firm.

Before Vlad stepped in and rescued Hearts the previous board had agreed a deal with the SRU which was reported at £20,000 per game (link below)

I remember that there were further details in the takeover bid document and that the SRU would be due extra cash from games that attracted bigger crowds

I think it was a pound for every ticket after we went past the capacity of Tynecastle, which would theoretically mean £70,000 for a sell out

That's from memory though, I'll try and dig out the actual numbers

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.scotsman.com/news/hearts-agree-163-22-million-sale-1-1017263/amp

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Before Vlad stepped in and rescued Hearts the previous board had agreed a deal with the SRU which was reported at £20,000 per game (link below)

I remember that there were further details in the takeover bid document and that the SRU would be due extra cash from games that attracted bigger crowds

I think it was a pound for every ticket after we went past the capacity of Tynecastle, which would theoretically mean £70,000 for a sell out

That's from memory though, I'll try and dig out the actual numbers

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.scotsman.com/news/hearts-agree-163-22-million-sale-1-1017263/amp

Thanks for that, I guess they may have been a bit of a discount for playing a whole season there. However, the SFA felt using either of the OF grounds was worth approx 10 times that of an even bigger stadium.

Archived